Aaron Maybin

Guest dog14787

Guest dog14787

At 6-4 and 250 lbs Aaron Maybin has showed very little promise so far at the DE position. This subject has been brought up in the past and I bring it up again because in my opinion Aaron Maybin could help the Bills run stopping capabilities if moved to the LB position. Aaron Maybin's athleticism and size mainly something with which the Bills are lacking, could help plug up holes on running downs. It would allow Maybin a chance to get up to NFL speed this season in a position more suited for his size and strength.

It seems like a no brainer to me, especially considering the injuries the Bills have at the LB position.

I don't think they've given up on him playing DE yet, but don't be surprised if he makes the switch in the offseason. I think they're sticking with what they have at each position for the remainder of the season. If they were going to insert him in as a LB it would've been after Mitchell went down. In the end, he makes too much money to not be on the field for this organization and they will switch him as not to have to draft someone else high at the LB position.

By that logic, why was Mike Mamula a bust? All a coaching staff has to do is decide to make the conversion... if they believe the player can cut it.

Maybin started in college for part of one season at DE and gets rewarded with being the number 11 selection. What a bunch of crap.

No way could he play LB in this defense. We know he can run straight up the field past the QB. Wow, whoopy. Get him in a situation where he has to back peddle, cover a RB or TE... and he's gonna get torched even more than he does already by OTs.

His only chance... and I say this guardely, is in the right 3-4 defense... and then it is only a chance.

Usually, by now, you see a flash here and there if a high draft pick is gonna be a player. Maybin, in my book has gone from Maybin to Maybe, and now to "NOT". As far as I'm concerned, you can drop the "BUST" stamp on him right now...but, before you do, first drop that stamp on the Bills FO. In a time when the Bills needed a high pick like that to contribute right away and make an impact, they whiffed horribly.

At 6-4 and 250 lbs Aaron Maybin has showed very little promise so far at the DE position. This subject has been brought up in the past and I bring it up again because in my opinion Aaron Maybin could help the Bills run stopping capabilities if moved to the LB position. Aaron Maybin's athleticism and size mainly something with which the Bills are lacking, could help plug up holes on running downs. It would allow Maybin a chance to get up to NFL speed this season in a position more suited for his size and strength.

It seems like a no brainer to me, especially considering the injuries the Bills have at the LB position.

realistically, there was no way they were going to change someone's position when they missed all of training camp...especially a rookie who is going to struggle to adapt to the NFL anyway

By that logic, why was Mike Mamula a bust? All a coaching staff has to do is decide to make the conversion... if they believe the player can cut it.

Maybin started in college for part of one season at DE and gets rewarded with being the number 11 selection. What a bunch of crap.

No way could he play LB in this defense. We know he can run straight up the field past the QB. Wow, whoopy. Get him in a situation where he has to back peddle, cover a RB or TE... and he's gonna get torched even more than he does already by OTs.

His only chance... and I say this guardely, is in the right 3-4 defense... and then it is only a chance.

Usually, by now, you see a flash here and there if a high draft pick is gonna be a player. Maybin, in my book has gone from Maybin to Maybe, and now to "NOT". As far as I'm concerned, you can drop the "BUST" stamp on him right now...but, before you do, first drop that stamp on the Bills FO. In a time when the Bills needed a high pick like that to contribute right away and make an impact, they whiffed horribly.

Look, I hated the Maybin pick as much as anyone else who was upset with it. I wanted Orakpo. But to label a guy a "BUST" who missed most of the preseason, all of training camp, and only 7 games into a rookie season is retarded. Honestly, nobody has seen enough of the guy to be able to label him yet, not even our own coaching staff.

Moving him to LB is not a good idea.

He can't even figure out how to play at this level at his natural position yet alone a new position. Moving him to LB sets his development back.

The problem is this was a bad pick. The Bills need players that contribute immediately. Not players with potential. Another bone head first round pick.

I also believe Orakpo should have been taken.

Moving him to OLB in this defense would be ridiculous. We play the Tampa-2. The OLBs in the Tampa-2 need to be outstanding players in space and be able to play zone coverage. Maybin's talent is that he has a quick first step as a pass rusher. So there is a total disconnect in the player and scheme here. Why try to convert a guy that hasn't been successful in translating his pass rush from college to the pros to a position where he wouldn't use his pass rush ability at all but have to use phantom skills we have no idea if he even possesses? Maybin is, so far, nothing but the poster child of potential.

You make some good points in your post Dr.

BTW, Mamula had 5.5 sacks his rookie year and 31.5 during his 5 year career. So he averaged about 6 sacks per season. Like Maybin he came out as a 6'4" 250 pounder.

One difference is that Mamula admitted after his career was over that he didn't love football, he was in it for the money.

Hopefully (and it seems likely) Maybin loves football and has the desire and motivation to become a good player. We've seen little to be encouraged about so far so all we have right now for Maybin is hope.

BTW, Mamula had 5.5 sacks his rookie year and 31.5 during his 5 year career. So he averaged about 6 sacks per season. Like Maybin he came out as a 6'4" 250 pounder.

One difference is that Mamula admitted after his career was over that he didn't love football, he was in it for the money.

Hopefully (and it seems likely) Maybin loves football and has the desire and motivation to become a good player. We've seen little to be encouraged about so far so all we have right now for Maybin is hope.

Mamula was a solid but unspectacular player whose career was cut short by injuries. Definitely a bust considering how high he was drafted, but not nearly the "one workout wonder" that people think he is.

Mamula was a solid but unspectacular player whose career was cut short by injuries. Definitely a bust considering how high he was drafted, but not nearly the "one workout wonder" that people think he is.

And the reason Mamula didn't persevere through his injuries and retired at the young age of 27 was because, as I said, he didn't love football.

At 6-4 and 250 lbs Aaron Maybin has showed very little promise so far at the DE position....

Please stop this piling on of young inexperienced Aaron Maybin. Your definition of "so far" is about 5 to 10 plays per game in seven lousy games. Bruce Smith was over-weight and shell shocked by the speed of the NFL during his first seven games in his rookie year. Would you have decided he showed "very little promose" too? Bruce was the Bills' number one pick (as well as the number one pick of the entire 1985 draft), and he needed all of his rookie season to realize he needed to work 10 times harder then he ever had before to live up to those standards. So let's compare your quick assesment of Maybin. Bruce was too heavy, and a number one pick of the Bills. Maybin is, in everyone's opinion, too light, and also a number one pick of the Bills (although certainly not of the entire draft). It was OK for Bruce to struggle during his rookie season, even though he played every down of every game. But Maybin, while Fewell has decided to use him way too sparingly as a number one pick, must excell during his few defensive snaps a game?? :worthy:

This argument is laughable. If Maybin had replaced Kelsay as starting DE opposite Schobel since game one, and was really struggling, I could agree with you. But the kid has not even been given the chance to succeed. I have recently gained a little respect for Fewell, although I still despise his 2-gap defense, based on the way his defense kept the Browns, Jets and Panthers out of the end zone. I am now willing to give Fewell the benefit of the doubt, and think that he has decided Maybin needs to be brought along slowly. As a DE. In his defense.

Hey, you may be 100% right about Maybin really being a future Pro Bowl OLB. But why even bring it up, when Fewell helped the Bills' deep thinkers draft the kid as a DE for his 4-3? Bottom line, in my humble opinion, no rookie deserves to be judged so negatively so quickly, after playing so little. Let's hope Fewell decides the kid deserves some starts after the bye week, and then we can see if he might be special or not, during this first season.

Agreed, this is a no brainer and for the life of me I don't understand why they don't experiment.

In the past we have acquired free agents and draft picks on their ability to play more than one position. Now we have a tremendously athletic person that seems that he could make the adjustment more naturally than some..we don't even try.

Brian Orakpo and Philip Ayer is spending their time at OLB than DE. Thats because the coaching wants to get the best athletes on the field. Before the season I felt that Maybin was the tweener of the group.

Maybin holding out hurt him as far as development for this season but he will be OK in the long run. I can't help but think Darryl Talley when I see him.

I expect more common sense from our coaching staff.

Moving him to OLB in this defense would be ridiculous. We play the Tampa-2. The OLBs in the Tampa-2 need to be outstanding players in space and be able to play zone coverage. Maybin's talent is that he has a quick first step as a pass rusher. So there is a total disconnect in the player and scheme here. Why try to convert a guy that hasn't been successful in translating his pass rush from college to the pros to a position where he wouldn't use his pass rush ability at all but have to use phantom skills we have no idea if he even possesses? Maybin is, so far, nothing but the poster child of potential.

Ever heard of a blitz? Clearly he belongs a LB. The guys making excuses about inability to cover, and whatnot are guessing. Period.

Please stop this piling on of young inexperienced Aaron Maybin. Your definition of "so far" is about 5 to 10 plays per game in seven lousy games. Bruce Smith was over-weight and shell shocked by the speed of the NFL during his first seven games in his rookie year. Would you have decided he showed "very little promose" too? Bruce was the Bills' number one pick (as well as the number one pick of the entire 1985 draft), and he needed all of his rookie season to realize he needed to work 10 times harder then he ever had before to live up to those standards. So let's compare your quick assesment of Maybin. Bruce was too heavy, and a number one pick of the Bills. Maybin is, in everyone's opinion, too light, and also a number one pick of the Bills (although certainly not of the entire draft). It was OK for Bruce to struggle during his rookie season, even though he played every down of every game. But Maybin, while Fewell has decided to use him way too sparingly as a number one pick, must excell during his few defensive snaps a game?? :worthy:

This argument is laughable. If Maybin had replaced Kelsay as starting DE opposite Schobel since game one, and was really struggling, I could agree with you. But the kid has not even been given the chance to succeed. I have recently gained a little respect for Fewell, although I still despise his 2-gap defense, based on the way his defense kept the Browns, Jets and Panthers out of the end zone. I am now willing to give Fewell the benefit of the doubt, and think that he has decided Maybin needs to be brought along slowly. As a DE. In his defense.

Hey, you may be 100% right about Maybin really being a future Pro Bowl OLB. But why even bring it up, when Fewell helped the Bills' deep thinkers draft the kid as a DE for his 4-3? Bottom line, in my humble opinion, no rookie deserves to be judged so negatively so quickly, after playing so little. Let's hope Fewell decides the kid deserves some starts after the bye week, and then we can see if he might be special or not, during this first season.

Certainly we may be rushing to judgment on Maybin. But that's what die-hard sports fans do.

V.J., you brought up Bruce Smith. What people don't remember about Bruce's rookie season is that he started 13 of 16 games and tallied 6.5 sacks and he had 15 sacks in his 2nd year. And even as an "overwhelmed rookie," his talent and ability were obvious.

Ever heard of a blitz? Clearly he belongs a LB. The guys making excuses about inability to cover, and whatnot are guessing. Period.

Yes, I have heard of a blitz. How often do the Bills blitz? The facts are that we play the Tampa-2 defense as our base scheme and that scheme is designed around getting pressure from the front 4 and dropping 7 into zone coverage. Look it up if you don't believe it.

I happen to agree that Maybin might be better off as an OLB in a 3-4. But, we don't run a 3-4. This is Buffalo.

And, you are the one guessing that Maybin is "clearly a LB". :worthy: