Drew's cap #s for next season

JÂy RÛßeÒ

I assume we save about a million or little less if we cut him after June 1st 2005 and still get the "benfit" of having him not weigh down our play next year, but distribute the cap hit over a couple of seasons.

I know some folks want the "pleasure" of doing him in right now or immediately after the season, but dead space is dead space and I would rather compete better right away than take our medicine in one dose and be less able next year.

I assume we save about a million or little less if we cut him after June 1st 2005 and still get the "benfit" of having him not weigh down our play next year, but distribute the cap hit over a couple of seasons.

I know some folks want the "pleasure" of doing him in right now or immediately after the season, but dead space is dead space and I would rather compete better right away than take our medicine in one dose and be less able next year.

119859[/snapback]

Agree 100%. So deactivate him & send him home for the rest of the season,

then cut him on June 1st. ;)

My understanding (and the cap rules actually change a bit so it may be wrong) is that when a player retires there is some type of settlement cap hit which comes out of the same black box where the league/nflpa sets draft compensation totals under which there is still some dead space for a retired player but the hit is not as hard.

This meets the players interests by allowing a team to give a big bonus to a player and not live in fear that they are going to get slammed by some act of nature because a player is forced to retire due to injury.

On the other hand, this method also preserves competition as a team cannot simply give a huge bonus to a player and "rent" him for one season as he retires and the cap hit is forgiven.

I think in the Phil Hansen case for example, it was pretty clear that he would never play out his contract and the large bonus he was paid was a sham, however, he theoretically and the Bills hoped he would last another year but he retired while he could still walk. Some settlement was reached by the Bills and the "black box" where we had some dead space hit but not the full hit we could have taken.

119859[/snapback]

So if we cut Drew after June 1 2005, what are the official cap hits for 2005 and 2006? Anyone know?

Personally, I'd rather just take the total cap hit on the 2005 season only. We may need all the extra cash we can find to sign our free agents for 2006.

I think we all know that Drew is a competor and will not retire at the end of the season. It would be too hard for him to accept failure. I hope he does, and his retirement would almost make up for this crappy season because it would allow us to look to the future more immediatly.

According to you guys if he retires we are saving around 2 mill. That would give us more wiggle room.

WE CAN ONLY HOPE!

OUT

So we SAVE nearly 2 mill against the cap?  Retire Drew...do the right thing.

119903[/snapback]

future dead money is precisely why you don't extend aging players who are close to the hitting the wall. drew is prime example, but Moulds is the next tough decision.