Professional Sports and Politics don't mix.

kota

Any see this article? What are you thoughts? It's related to what Edwards is going through in regards to concussions. I personally think that Rep. Maxine Waters is way out of line by threatening the anti-trust exemption as if she has any real say in it anyway. It's a pathetic stab at Goodell to get a reaction. I am sorry that the NFL isn't fast enough for her as if congress has been fast to act on anything recently.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Any see this article? What are you thoughts? It's related to what Edwards is going through in regards to concussions. I personally think that Rep. Maxine Waters is way out of line by threatening the anti-trust exemption as if she has any real say in it anyway. It's a pathetic stab at Goodell to get a reaction. I am sorry that the NFL isn't fast enough for her as if congress has been fast to act on anything recently.

Maxine Waters is a douche and wouldn't be in congress if she were in a district that had any intelligence as opposed to voting for someone based on ethnicity.

Congress and the WH will hold that anti-trust exemption over their (the NFL's) head in the same way they used the TARP funds over the bankers. It's their in-clause, as in how to get in the front door to having some control over the NFL. And I won't rule out NFLPA President DeMaurice Smith using whatever D.C. political connections he has to get his way.

So long as Congress can sell why they're doing something, nothing is out of the question.

Wasn't it politics that gave the NFL the exemption in the first place? :thumbdown:

Maxine Waters is wrong about....well, pretty much everything I've ever heard her speak about, with the exception of this issue.

The NFL has been terribly negligent in acknowledging and treating the problems of concussions. If you haven't seen it previously, I highly recommoned this article on the subject.

Wasn't it politics that gave the NFL the exemption in the first place? :thumbdown:

Maxine Waters is wrong about....well, pretty much everything I've ever heard her speak about, with the exception of this issue.

The NFL has been terribly negligent in acknowledging and treating the problems of concussions. If you haven't seen it previously, I highly recommoned this article on the subject.

Correct me if I am wrong but a few years ago weren't there a bunch of people wanting the NFL to do a better job with concussions. I think their grip was that they should adopt the NHL model in the NFL in regards to concussions. I don't remember what the NHL does better in regards to concussions that the NFL doesn't do.

Correct me if I am wrong but a few years ago weren't there a bunch of people wanting the NFL to do a better job with concussions. I think their grip was that they should adopt the NHL model in the NFL in regards to concussions. I don't remember what the NHL does better in regards to concussions that the NFL doesn't do.

Not sure there is much you can do and frankly that article made me question Football in general. KD is right in his perception of Maxine Waters, but I guess this is a case of stopped clocks and such.

I am someone who has had a good deal of concussions. I absolutely love that they are looking into concussions right now in the NFL. Someone needs to do it to be able to take care of these players.

It is absolutely crazy that Andy Reid said that Brian Westbrook would play 6 days after being knocked out cold during Monday nights game. That is flat out ridiculous. There needs to be some sort or regulation where the coach, player, owner can not make the decision to for that player to play for a certain time frame after that concussion.

The biggest problem with concussions right now though is that there is so much we don't know about them and the post effects, how exactly we can reduce the risk, what exactly the risk of repeat concussions, etc.

Congress and the WH will hold that anti-trust exemption over their (the NFL's) head in the same way they used the TARP funds over the bankers. It's their in-clause, as in how to get in the front door to having some control over the NFL. And I won't rule out NFLPA President DeMaurice Smith using whatever D.C. political connections he has to get his way.

So long as Congress can sell why they're doing something, nothing is out of the question.

Not so fast to poo-poo Congress using the anti-trust exemption threat as leverage over the NFL as there is a not insignificant chance that this may be the tool which keeps the NFL in Buffalo.

Even an area run by idiots in Cleveland (which actually is one of two towns ranked worse off financially than Buffalo) were able to force the NFL to put a franchise in Cleveland when Art Modell cut and ran to big bucks in Baltimore.

When Ralph moves to the great beyond, and the team is likely put up for sale, the NFL retains a veto over any new owner who must get approval from 70% or so of the existing owners. Those owners will almost certainly go where the money is but an individual owners 1/32 of the transfer cost is small potatoes compared to the restraint of trade which the NFL and its arguably majority partner under the current CBA, the NFLPA make big bucks off of due to the anti-trust exemptio,

When the NFLPA threatened to decertify itself and force the team owners to work in a capitalistic market, the team owners ran and did not walk to give the NFLPA what it wanted (when the new CBA was negotiated, Upshaw stated up front that the players must get a % of the total revenues of the league which began with a 6 and 60.5% of the total revenue is what the workers ended up getting).

At any rate, if the Bills were likely to move out of Buffalo and thus leave NYS without any team playing home games in the state (both NYG and NYJets play their home games in Jersey) one can bet that Schumer. Gillenbrand and the entire WNY and upstate NY house delegation will threaten to strip the anti-trust exemption as leverage to force the NFL to require any approved new owner to keep the team in Buffalo.

Threatening the anti-trust exemption may well prove to be a Buffalo Bills fans' best friend.