Keith Ellison is second in the NFL in tackles

So you really think other teams are saying, "let's run at Keith Ellison as to avoid these undrafted rookie free agents and guys that the Rams cut that weren't playing football last week?"

seriously, even when a Bills players does something good, there has to be people on this board that will trash him. Ellison isn't a great LB I admit, but he isn't as bad as some people on this board believe. He's second in the league in tackles. Not the most important state sure but let's give credit where credit is due.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith Ellison is second in the NFL in tackles with 68. He has by far the most for an OLB (next most is 56, which is good for 11th place). Either a) the tackles statistic in the NFL is completely arbitrary and doesn't mean anything at all or b) maybe he is at the very least a pretty solid backup LB in the NFL and doesn't deserve to be cut as I would venture to say 90% of you on here think he should be. Or c) sarcastic response...

Very interesting stat indeed! I think he might be the anti London Fletcher. Given the number of rushing yards our defense gives up I look at that stat in a negative light. Let's not forget he is the only LB that hasn't missed at least 2 games due to injury.

Perhaps opposing defenses run at him because he is a known weakness? He's not blowing people up in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage I think that when he takes a proper angle and doesn't get wiped out by bigger defenders he tackles guys effectively enough. People complained that Fletcher made all of his tackles down field but our defense at that time gave up FAR fewer yards.

Very interesting stat indeed! I think he might be the anti London Fletcher. Given the number of rushing yards our defense gives up I look at that stat in a negative light. Let's not forget he is the only LB that hasn't missed at least 2 games due to injury.

Perhaps opposing defenses run at him because he is a known weakness? He's not blowing people up in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage I think that when he takes a proper angle and doesn't get wiped out by bigger defenders he tackles guys effectively enough. People complained that Fletcher made all of his tackles down field but our defense at that time gave up FAR fewer yards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=9764

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=2161

The first link is the breakdown of Ellison's play and specific information in regards to his tackles. The second is the same information in regards to Keith Bullock. I'm not saying that they are equal players but they have similar stats this season. I don't have the time to break it down but I thought it might be interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=9764

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=2161

The first link is the breakdown of Ellison's play and specific information in regards to his tackles. The second is the same information in regards to Keith Bullock. I'm not saying that they are equal players but they have similar stats this season. I don't have the time to break it down but I thought it might be interesting.

I took a quick look but I think the ONLY and most important things was how far from the line of scrimmage he made the tackle.

Wait a minute...you plan on proving that Ellison is bad by putting together a lowlight video? I could create a lowlight video of Brett Favre's worst interceptions...would that prove he sucks?

Considering it will be 90% of the defensive snaps from that game, then hopefully yes. Its the least I can do.

On second thought, I will include every play Ellison is on the TV screen - so you can judge for yourself. But I warn you my DVD player always seems to run out of space and cannot record a full game, so I most likely wont have the last 10 or so mins.

I think the tackles by linebackers are a direct reflection of the DL playing in front of them...just becuase Ellison has a lot of sacks doesn't mean he's really bad (b/c teams are targeting him), or he's really good. It just goes to show you that Stroud, Williams and company are doing enough to keep the O line fom getting to the second level. If Whitner, Byrd, or one of our DBs was leading the team in tackles, then that would be a bad sign.

All in all, I think Ellison is an average player, who seems to be in the right place at the right time (good football IQ), and benefitting from some decent D line play.

Actually, this is disturbing, but not for any of the reasons cited (unless I missed it). Ellison is our sam backer and in this system, he is not supposed to be "the playmaker". His is the Ryan Nece of this defensive system. That he is leading the team in tackles only serves to underscore just how bad the playmakers at mike and will actually are. Of course, there have been injuries, which account for some of the numbers, but Kawika Mitchell, while maybe our best known LB, sure doesn't play like Derrick Brooks.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

Actually, this is disturbing, but not for any of the reasons cited (unless I missed it). Ellison is our sam backer and in this system, he is not supposed to be "the playmaker". His is the Ryan Nece of this defensive system. That he is leading the team in tackles only serves to underscore just how bad the playmakers at mike and will actually are. Of course, there have been injuries, which account for some of the numbers, but Kawika Mitchell, while maybe our best known LB, sure doesn't play like Derrick Brooks.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

Again I think the important stat that is missing is how far down field is Ellison making his tackles? A guy like Ray Lewis makes a lot of tackles and it's a good thing. He is making them near the line of scrimmage and the Ravens are shutting down the opposing offense. I would guess, and no one can provide a stat to the contrary, that Ellison is making tackles after substantial gains!!!!

The defense is on the field for 45 minutes/game. Of course he has a lot of tackles.

Exactly - offense is hardly on field and Aaron Schobel is good in tackling. Most teams run on the right side anyways and that is the side Ellison covers.

Again I think the important stat that is missing is how far down field is Ellison making his tackles? A guy like Ray Lewis makes a lot of tackles and it's a good thing. He is making them near the line of scrimmage and the Ravens are shutting down the opposing offense. I would guess, and no one can provide a stat to the contrary, that Ellison is making tackles after substantial gains!!!!

Keith Ellison isn't making any less plays around the line of scrimmage, then the rest of the defense. My point is that no one is creating havoc in the backfiled on run plays. In fact most of the big gains are coming right up the middle. To Keith Ellison's credit he is at least around the ball more than anyone else on the team.

Last time I looked, teams were averaging well over 5 yards on the ground against the Bills. That sucks and gives you a real good idea how far down the field tackles are taking place. Conversely, the pass defense has been statistically the opposite. While ranking near the bottom as far the number of passes faced, the secondary has limited the damage on average, and played well. We've seen a stretch with some of the worst opposing QB play I have ever seen, but some of the credit goes to our backup secondary guys who have stepped in. Dick Jauron may be a tool as a head coach, but he's got a good eye for DBs...

I think I've gotten a clearer idea of what people think of Keith Ellison on here. If you think he is a horrendous football player, you are clueless. The consensus amongst rational fans seems to be that he is a reliable and durable backup LB. Personally, I think they need a hulking 265 lb. MLB ala Patrick Willis and then you move Poz and Mitchell back outside. Poz would be a solid second best LB on a winning team's roster and Mitchell would be a very solid third best LB on a winning team's roster. Ellison would be a solid backup/fourth best, etc. We just need one sick LB to bump everyone down a peg!

I like bigger LBs, too.

I think Ellison plays with a lot of heart, and would earn a roster spot on most all clubs, as you seem to imply.