4th down stops

ieatcrayonz

The Bills seem to have stopped a ton of 4th and shorts this year. They stopped another one yesterday. It is certainly good and yesterday's was important, but at this point the odds are not in our favor.

We are WAY above the norm in stopping these and the law of averages is bound to catch up with us. It seems to me that it is almost impossible mathematically for us to stop another one for the rest of the season. Maybe one but that would be it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did stop them yesterday, but I blame Carolinas play call. Any run outside the tackles was a huge gain in waiting, yet they targeted the A gap which hadd half a ton of human in it.

I just noticed on the highlights that they converted one in the 4th quarter. I had forgotten about that. It looks as if the law of averages has already started to kick in. We will probably give up a bunch between now and the end of the year.

I just noticed on the highlights that they converted one in the 4th quarter. I had forgotten about that. It looks as if the law of averages has already started to kick in. We will probably give up a bunch between now and the end of the year.

It was only because we played an NFC team.

I don't understand why teams don't consistently run naked bootlegs on those 4th and shorts; they always seem to work because we gamble big time on runs up the middle.

Carolina probably just figured that we had stopped so many so far that just about any play would work.

I think other teams will pick up on this and go for it every time on 4th down. The good news is win can get rid of our punt returners.

I think other teams will pick up on this and go for it every time on 4th down. The good news is win can get rid of our punt returners.

That is exactly what I'm worried about. Carolina went for it on 4th and 4 yesterday for example. 4 yards is a lot and teams punt almost all of the time with 4 to go.

The Bills seem to have stopped a ton of 4th and shorts this year. They stopped another one yesterday. It is certainly good and yesterday's was important, but at this point the odds are not in our favor.

We are WAY above the norm in stopping these and the law of averages is bound to catch up with us. It seems to me that it is almost impossible mathematically for us to stop another one for the rest of the season. Maybe one but that would be it.

You forgot one team that the Bills can't stop on 4th down. It's been 4 years or more since the Bills defeated that team.

Sorry to be negative nancy here, but your logic is really flawed. You have to either look at these events as random (coin flip), or correlated (outcomes in the past have some effect on the outcomes in the future), but you can't treat them as both at the same time. If stopping an opponent on 4th and short is random (coin flip), then even if we've stopped a disproportionately high number of them so far (e.g. lots of heads in a row in a coin flip) the outcome of any future 4th and short will still be 50/50. This is regardless of how they've done in the past because a coin has no memory.

If the outcome is correlated (i.e. their defense just happens to be good at 4th and short situations), then how they've done in the past will affect future outcomes but in this case it will affect them positively.

Either way, there is no mathematical model (statistical or other) that suggests the Bills can't stop another 4th and short.

Sorry to be negative nancy here, but your logic is really flawed. You have to either look at these events as random (coin flip), or correlated (outcomes in the past have some effect on the outcomes in the future), but you can't treat them as both at the same time. If stopping an opponent on 4th and short is random (coin flip), then even if we've stopped a disproportionately high number of them so far (e.g. lots of heads in a row in a coin flip) the outcome of any future 4th and short will still be 50/50. This is regardless of how they've done in the past because a coin has no memory.

If the outcome is correlated (i.e. their defense just happens to be good at 4th and short situations), then how they've done in the past will affect future outcomes but in this case it will affect them positively.

Either way, there is no mathematical model (statistical or other) that suggests the Bills can't stop another 4th and short.

Are you crazy or something? The numbers don't lie. I'm with Crayonz.

So you're saying if I flip a coin 100 times it might come up heads every time?

:thumbsup::wacko::blink:

The law of averages says it should be around 50/50. Sure it might be 51/49 due to the wieght factor on 1 side of the coin versus the other, but over a full session of coin flipping it will even out.

Similarly, over a full football season, the 4th down conversions will even out. Not to get all high and mighty, but this is called regressing to the mean. I know that is technical talk but what it means is that the Bills will probably not stop too many more 4th downs this year.