Microsoft Screws Up Again.

Steely Dan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was six months enough time for Vista? By ready I mean having most of the bugs worked out. Nothing is or ever will be perfect but getting it a lot more refined before release wouldn't hurt.

Six months of beta testing in a user base numbering in the thousands? Yeah, probably. It's also probably more like twelve to eighteen months, from early alpha to gold, and even longer for QA and integration testing. I'm sure Microsoft has reams of data detailing their test coverage from QA all the way down to unit testing, both white box and black box, as it relates to requirements definition, architectiure, detailed design, and development, and that they can track every single bug (of at least thousands, if not tens of thousands, given the amount of code that has to be checked) from inception to closure and tell you precisely how, why, when, and where it occurred, and how it was fixed.

I know they did at least that, because as a professional that's how I do it.

What is your definition of ready?

I can also tell you, as a professional, that "ready" varies from project to project depending on the software requirements...but as a starting point, it's when all the critical and serious and 99% of identified lesser defects are fixed, unless the statistically predicted number of defects is exceeded by one standard deviation.

And I'm sure that's NOT how Microsoft does it - their standards are going to be much more rigorously defined and much, MUCH tighter.

Yeah, I know people who work for MS, but that has nothing to do with this discussion. You were spouting off ignorant crap, I corrected you.

Yea but he usually spouts ignorant crap and you usually do not correct him proving his point it is a sensitive item.

I can also tell you, as a professional, that "ready" varies from project to project depending on the software requirements...but as a starting point, it's when all the critical and serious and 99% of identified lesser defects are fixed, unless the statistically predicted number of defects is exceeded by one standard deviation.

And I'm sure that's NOT how Microsoft does it - their standards are going to be much more rigorously defined and much, MUCH tighter.

LOL!!!! Microshaft's standard is less than a $5 whore outside a navy base. Even the government's standard is higher. Sometimes you really make me laugh Tom.

being a Mac guy for a very, very long time, i find the windows ads amusing, considering the fact that everyone takes "credit" for being responsible for this new version. so i'm guessing that they're all to blame. and yet, what absolutely astounds me, is how everyone in the ads is so proud of seeking a new and "simpler" version of windows, when no one addresses the one big problem that's frustrated windows users for as long as it's been around.

curious that no one says out right, "i suggested that microsoft come up with a version that doesn't crash once a week."

heh, fools. blithering idiots. suckers and dunderheads. crap in, crap out. there is nothing new here, just the same old pursuit of ineptitude to create a new version of the same old problems.

jw

being a Mac guy for a very, very long time, i find the windows ads amusing, considering the fact that everyone takes "credit" for being responsible for this new version. so i'm guessing that they're all to blame. and yet, what absolutely astounds me, is how everyone in the ads is so proud of seeking a new and "simpler" version of windows, when no one addresses the one big problem that's frustrated windows users for as long as it's been around.

curious that no one says out right, "i suggested that microsoft come up with a version that doesn't crash once a week."

heh, fools. blithering idiots. suckers and dunderheads. crap in, crap out. there is nothing new here, just the same old pursuit of ineptitude to create a new version of the same old problems.

jw

I haven't had a windows session crash in a long time, so what the heck are you talikng about? Oh, that's right, you're just another tech-ignorant Mac user. Anyone that knows how to maintain their system doesn't have issues with Windows.

Gotcha. :lol:

I haven't had a windows session crash in a long time, so what the heck are you talikng about? Oh, that's right, you're just another tech-ignorant Mac user. Anyone that knows how to maintain their system doesn't have issues with Windows.

Yeah, exactly. We've had this, "It crashes all the time" discussion on the board before. Ever since Win2k, stability hasn't really been an issue. If you're still crashing, it's because you had bad hardware. I leave my WinXP system up for months at a time.

Of course, my OpenBSD box can be up for even longer... But it's a server. B-)

you did, you. (shake fist)

biggest microsoft problem i've been having lately is with my motorola gizmo. the damn thing locks up all the time and it's got something to do with outlook and the phone's e-mail system. (note: have Mac at home, crap at work). but i'm sure 7 will fix that (sarcasm meter ON).

jw

Windows 7 sucks because of an issue with a specific downloadable version on a third party website? Please.

Windows 7 is awesome. Period. It was awesome when it was a beta version a year ago.

Windows 7 sucks because of an issue with a specific downloadable version on a third party website? Please.

Windows 7 is awesome. Period. It was awesome when it was a beta version a year ago.

It's pointless to argue with Mac users. They're in the cult of Jobs and until the sneaker-wearer-in-chief kicks the bucket, they'll ALWAYS be loyal...straight to the kool-aid line, now people, can't be late for our comet ride! :lol:

you did, you. (shake fist)

biggest microsoft problem i've been having lately is with my motorola gizmo. the damn thing locks up all the time and it's got something to do with outlook and the phone's e-mail system. (note: have Mac at home, crap at work). but i'm sure 7 will fix that (sarcasm meter ON).

jw

So it's MS's fault that Motorola can't write software that works correctly with Windows? :worthy:

did a clean install of windows 7 last friday. I've never had any problems with any version of Windows being unstable, but 7 runs noticeably better than both XP and Vista. So not only do I have the eye candy of a better looking version of Windows, everything runs a notch smoother and for some reason I seem to have gained at least 2 hours of battery life on my laptop.

I'd put this on the other 3 PC's in my house if they weren't so damn old...won't support the new Aero graphics.

It's pointless to argue with Mac users. They're in the cult of Jobs and until the sneaker-wearer-in-chief kicks the bucket, they'll ALWAYS be loyal...straight to the kool-aid line, now people, can't be late for our comet ride! :worthy:

Have you ever used a Mac? Microsoft had to license Mac's GUI in order to make their computers usable to the masses. There would be no drag and drop and "windows" that were easily opened and closed. After Xerox invested in Apple they invited Apple design teams to look at their GUI computers. While Apple used some of the Alto's GUI they developed it into what Microsoft uses to this day. Apple is innovative. Microsoft sits back and licenses it afterward.

Mac has always been ahead of the curve and if you don't know how much better Macs are then you obviously have never used one. I'd be using a Mac if I hadn't gotten this computer as a gift.

Anyhoo, with all of the good reviews, so far, about Windows 7 I'll consider upgrading in a few months. My Concern is with some of the older programs I have working with the new version. Anybody know about issues with that?

Have you ever used a Mac? Microsoft had to license Mac's GUI in order to make their computers usable to the masses. There would be no drag and drop and "windows" that were easily opened and closed. After Xerox invested in Apple they invited Apple design teams to look at their GUI computers. While Apple used some of the Alto's GUI they developed it into what Microsoft uses to this day. Apple is innovative. Microsoft sits back and licenses it afterward.

Mac has always been ahead of the curve and if you don't know how much better Macs are then you obviously have never used one.

Did you actually READ the article you linked to....? Apple ripped off Xerox, plain and simple, even if the article is trying to sugar coat it. Xerox PARC let Apple look at their stuff in exchange for a $1M investment in Apple -- win-win for a fledgling computer company! That doesn't give them the right to infringe on any copyrights, which they did. Then when MS tried to rip off Apple, MS was sued. But guess what? Xerox sued Apple too, they just waited too long and the case was thrown out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Compute...oft_Corporation

Apple wasn't ahead of the curve -- they just infringed upon Xerox's copyright of the the mouse and the GUI. Xerox PARC's problem was that they were researchers, not businessmen.

And if you want to talk about ripoffs, do you know what MacOS is? It's UNIX. NetBSD and FreeBSD, to be exact. It just has a pretty cover.

Seriously people, it's a tool. If you like using Mac, great. If you like using Windows, great. If you like using *NIX, great. They each have their pluses and minuses -- just don't start spewing off crap about how "Mac is the greatest! It never crashes! It never needs updates! It has no security problems!" Because then you just look like a moron.

Mac has always been ahead of the curve and if you don't know how much better Macs are then you obviously have never used one. I'd be using a Mac if I hadn't gotten this computer as a gift.

Uh, yeah right :worthy:

Anyhoo, with all of the good reviews, so far, about Windows 7 I'll consider upgrading in a few months. My Concern is with some of the older programs I have working with the new version. Anybody know about issues with that?

All depends on the software you are wanting to run.

Seriously people, it's a tool. If you like using Mac, great. If you like using Windows, great. If you like using *NIX, great. They each have their pluses and minuses -- just don't start spewing off crap about how "Mac is the greatest! It never crashes! It never needs updates! It has no security problems!" Because then you just look like a moron.

:worthy:

So it's MS's fault that Motorola can't write software that works correctly with Windows? :worthy:

no, it's Motorola's fault that they're using microsoft 6-point-something as a base to run many of its programs on my phone, including my e-mail, which is also tied to my contact list, which is also tied to the Outlook i have loaded on my work computer. and when the e-mail freezes, it locks up my phone for a good minute.

that answer your question?

jw

right, morons.

so what do PC users have to look forward to in support of their product by comparison. i'm guessing those arguments, to use your post, would sound something like: "microsoft is the greatest, it often crashes, it always needs updates, it has numerous security problems."

yay.

jw