Whole House Air Cleaners

DC Mom

I have dust allergies that cause problems when the hot air heat is on. Currently I have an Air Bear right angle with one of those larger disposal filters. I have seen some talk about some of these more expensive whole house cleaners having more success (like Trane Clean Effects). Anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth it.

(And yes, I have put allergy covers on my bedding and have made efforts to keep the bedroom clean. Humidifiers help some, but not enough.

I have dust allergies that cause problems when the hot air heat is on. Currently I have an Air Bear right angle with one of those larger disposal filters. I have seen some talk about some of these more expensive whole house cleaners having more success (like Trane Clean Effects). Anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth it.

(And yes, I have put allergy covers on my bedding and have made efforts to keep the bedroom clean. Humidifiers help some, but not enough.

I looked at the Air Bear specs. 9 months seems a long time between filter changes.

I use the 3m 1000-rated (the one in the red package) filter in a conventional mounting, and replace between 2 and three months.

The (expensive) electrostatic washable filter set-ups seem to have fallen out of favor - not especially efficient. My house had one, and when we bought it, we had a HVAC serviceman check out the unit. The electrostatic power unit was shot ($400+), and mentioned their inefficiency. I checked up on that - he was correct.

Have you tried one of those free-standing HEPA filter units made by Holmes and 3M? They work ok in my experience - but the replacement media is pricey.

I researched this a while back. There's really no such thing as a stand alone whole house unit. There are two things I would recommend you do: First, buy yourself a pack of "NaturalAire" furnace filters. When you're not home, leave your furnace fan running. When I first moved into my current place, I was having asthma attacks constantly and my allergies were out of control. I started using these filters and ran the fan when I was at work, and it did wonders. It basically turns your furnace into one big air cleaner, and you won't believe the crap you find on the filters when you change them!

As far as stand alone air filters, they are only rated to treat a certain area, and they don't do well treating adjacent rooms, even if the doors are open. For that reason, it's best to have smaller individual units placed in the rooms where they are most needed (usually the bedrooms). My personal favorite, and the one I bought, was the Austin Air Allergy Machine Jr. I use one in my bedroom.

Hope that helps!

I researched this a while back. There's really no such thing as a stand alone whole house unit. There are two things I would recommend you do: First, buy yourself a pack of "NaturalAire" furnace filters. When you're not home, leave your furnace fan running. When I first moved into my current place, I was having asthma attacks constantly and my allergies were out of control. I started using these filters and ran the fan when I was at work, and it did wonders. It basically turns your furnace into one big air cleaner, and you won't believe the crap you find on the filters when you change them!

As far as stand alone air filters, they are only rated to treat a certain area, and they don't do well treating adjacent rooms, even if the doors are open. For that reason, it's best to have smaller individual units placed in the rooms where they are most needed (usually the bedrooms). My personal favorite, and the one I bought, was the Austin Air Allergy Machine Jr. I use one in my bedroom.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, but unfortunately, my current systems uses special filters (AirBear).

Longtime allergy sufferer myself. A lot of post nasal drip is a result of dry nasal passages creating mucous to naturally moisten the nasal membranes. B4 I go to bed, I use vaseline inside my nose, or Ponaris. they both do very well. Look into them, Ponaris is an oil based substance that the astronauts used to keep their nasal passages moistened.

If that's you in your picture my recommendation is whatever you decide to get...........get two.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/...2053931978.html

:unsure: