JP Sanchez and California QB Syndrome

Remember a couple years ago, when Edwards looked good till the Giants game when the weather turned nasty? Remember how JP struggled in the winter elements?

Well, the USC golden boy looked mighty bad today. And it's not because the Bills D is anything special. It's because fair weather California QBs take a long time to adjust, if they ever do, to cold, rain, and snow.

So you know, if we're in the market for a QB this offseason -- and we probably should be -- let's try and pick up a guy with some experience in the northeastern winter.

Remember a couple years ago, when Edwards looked good till the Giants game when the weather turned nasty? Remember how JP struggled in the winter elements?

Well, the USC golden boy looked mighty bad today. And it's not because the Bills D is anything special. It's because fair weather California QBs take a long time to adjust, if they ever do, to cold, rain, and snow.

So you know, if we're in the market for a QB this offseason -- and we probably should be -- let's try and pick up a guy with some experience in the northeastern winter.

YES! Thank God Kelly and Fergie went to winter-weather college programs.

YES! Thank God Kelly and Fergie went to winter-weather college programs.

Kelly is from Western PA, and learned to play ball there. I'd like a better QB than Fergie.

I'm not saying that warm-weather QBs can't thrive in the cold. I'm saying that their background is an impediment that has to be overcome, like being short.

Add Leinart to that list. It's not a fluke. We need someone who can thrive in sub-par conditions.

The assertion is crap. It's not geography - it's the player. And the pro game eludes most top college qbs. The draft hype machine serves only to push contract values skyward and build expectations to levels impossible to satisfy.

btw -Leinhart plays in the desert if he even plays at all.

Kelly is from Western PA, and learned to play ball there. I'd like a better QB than Fergie.

I'm not saying that warm-weather QBs can't thrive in the cold. I'm saying that their background is an impediment that has to be overcome, like being short.

HEY! :thumbsup::blink:

Ok. If Kelly and Ferguson aren't good enough counter-examples, how about Messrs. Favre, McMahon, or E. Manning? All from warm-weather schools and backgrounds, and all Super Bowl winners in cold-weather cities. And then there are the cold-weather background guys who couldn't get anywhere in warm weather pro cities, like Marino, Blackledge, Griese, Pennington, Steve Pelleur, whatever, it's countless. Your construct doesn't hold up, but I'm betting it was well-intentioned. You don't seem like a dick.

Problem isn't that certain QBs are from warmer climes; problem is that they aren't good QBs.

I miss Cleve Park, BTW.

Ok. If Kelly and Ferguson aren't good enough counter-examples, how about Messrs. Favre, McMahon, or E. Manning? All from warm-weather schools and backgrounds, and all Super Bowl winners in cold-weather cities. And of course, there are countless other QBs from warm places who won it with warm-weather teams (or dome teams, like P. Manning). And then there are the cold-weather background guys who couldn't get anywhere in warm weather pro cities, like Marino, Blackledge, Griese, Pennington, Steve Pelleur, whatever, it's countless. Your construct doesn't hold up, but I'm betting it was well-intentioned. You don't seem like a dick.

Problem isn't that certain QBs are from warmer climes; problem is that they aren't good QBs.

I miss Cleve Park, BTW.

Again, the warm-weather thing isn't entirely determinative of a QB's success; it's a factor, a deficiency that has to be overcome. Favre is a good example of someone who overcame his lack of a background in the cold. McMahon, IIRC, went to BYU, which is mighty cold in winter. But my point was, and is, that a QB who has already learned to play in lousy weather is better suited to the AFC East than someone who was born and raised in the sun. Before Edwards became a shellshocked Kenny O'Brien clone who struggled in all conditions, he was two different players depending on the weather conditions. Sanchez may be in the same boat. Is it possible he'll get over it? Sure. But it's a problem that the Jets need to address.

I thought Marino had a good career in Miami, FWIW.

Again, the warm-weather thing isn't entirely determinative of a QB's success; it's a factor, a deficiency that has to be overcome. Favre is a good example of someone who overcame his lack of a background in the cold. McMahon, IIRC, went to BYU, which is mighty cold in winter. But my point was, and is, that a QB who has already learned to play in lousy weather is better suited to the AFC East than someone who was born and raised in the sun. Before Edwards became a shellshocked Kenny O'Brien clone who struggled in all conditions, he was two different players depending on the weather conditions. Sanchez may be in the same boat. Is it possible he'll get over it? Sure. But it's a problem that the Jets need to address.

I thought Marino had a good career in Miami, FWIW.

Just addressing your last sentence, since we're bound to disagree on the rest, yes, Marino did have a good career in Miami. Unless you define "good career" by the fact that he could not once get by our Buffalo Bills when it mattered, that pastel-wearing, ref-whining, beeeyotch.

But other than that, yeah, he wasn't bad.

Just addressing your last sentence, since we're bound to disagree on the rest, yes, Marino did have a good career in Miami. Unless you define "good career" by the fact that he could not once get by our Buffalo Bills when it mattered, that pastel-wearing, ref-whining, beeeyotch.

But other than that, yeah, he wasn't bad.

And he was fun to beat!

Everyone who watched that game thought the same as you.

Put me in that camp. Probably a weird coincidence, but the performance in inclement weather seems to be a factor for the CA guys.

I know we would like to but don't forget about Rob Johnson :worthy:

I'm not a big fan of labeling guys based on where they come from. I think blaming what happened to Sanchez on his reaction to poor weather is missing the point. The thing I would be concerned about if I were a Jets fan is every time he screwed up, he seemed to get even tighter. I saw this happen to him vs ASU last year (in sunny So Cal, BTW), and even though his team was good enough to overcome his sucking, that game really stuck in my mind when the draft approached.

I would never criticize the kid for taking the chance on coming out as opposed to risking what happened to Crawford and Tebow, but the Jets reached for him in the draft, rushed him too soon into the starting spot, reveled in the attention brought to the organization by his pretty boy looks, and were active participants in over hyping the kid's poise.

The Jets are going to sink like a rock after this game, and they deserve it.