Robert Royal leads league in drops

Fezmid

Saw this on Fanball.com:

Robert Royal : Royal leads league in drops

10/18/2009 08:26 AM

THE NEWS

Robert Royal is tied for the NFL lead in drops with five, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

OUR VIEW

He has just eight catches, so that is a staggering number. He is one of the least valuable, if not the least valuable, starting fantasy tight end in the NFL.

Thank gawd we got rid of the toughest, most consistent, most physical blocker on the team.

It's not like the Bills could use any help on the edges after jettisoning their 2 starting tackles. :P

Thank gawd we got rid of the toughest, most consistent, most physical blocker on the team.

It's not like the Bills could use any help on the edges after jettisoning their 2 starting tackles. :P

Out of all the people the Bills have dumped over the years, Robert Royal is not the one to be upset about.

Out of all the people the Bills have dumped over the years, Robert Royal is not the one to be upset about.

Yeah why should anybody be upset that a team who can't block anybody unnecessarily dumped their best blocker to save a couple nickels?

The Buffalo Bills; making holes in their roster since the beginning of the century!

I was never upset about the loss of Royal but I did like him. Does TO have more drops than him now?

I thought they said he was up to six after this game. Royal may be a decent blocker but he killed SO MANY drives dropping the ball that it overshadows his blocking skills.

I thought they said he was up to six after this game. Royal may be a decent blocker but he killed SO MANY drives dropping the ball that it overshadows his blocking skills.

And when he does catch it, he cant keep both feet in the endzone.

Yup. Still Angry.

Yeah why should anybody be upset that a team who can't block anybody unnecessarily dumped their best blocker to save a couple nickels?

The Buffalo Bills; making holes in their roster since the beginning of the century!

Dude, Royal was and is a waste of a paycheck.

He is the poster boy of the Marv Levy/ John Guy guide to free agents. He is right up there with Dockery, Walker, and Triplett.

Now, if you want to cry about free agents leaving cry about London Fletcher, Antione Winfield, and Pat Williams. Those guys are durable, pro-bowlers who are still ripping it up.

Dude, Royal was and is a waste of a paycheck.

He is the poster boy of the Marv Levy/ John Guy guide to free agents. He is right up there with Dockery, Walker, and Triplett.

Now, if you want to cry about free agents leaving cry about London Fletcher, Antione Winfield, and Pat Williams. Those guys are durable, pro-bowlers who are still ripping it up.

I miss all 3 of the guys you mentioned. But saying the best blocker on the team was a waste of a paycheck is silly, imo. As is comparing him to lazy slugs like Dockery and Walker.

He may have had marginal hands and poor body control in the receiving game, but he played his ass off on every down, was the best blocker and most physical player on the offense, was a team leader, and beat the ass hairs off a ton of opposing LBers.

Letting him go made the Bills a weaker and softer team and we're seeing the results of it this year.

I miss all 3 of the guys you mentioned. But saying the best blocker on the team was a waste of a paycheck is silly, imo. As is comparing him to lazy slugs like Dockery and Walker.

He may have had marginal hands and poor body control in the receiving game, but he played his ass off on every down, was the best blocker and most physical player on the offense, was a team leader, and beat the ass hairs off a ton of opposing LBers.

Letting him go made the Bills a weaker and softer team and we're seeing the results of it this year.

I completely disagree with your assessment. Royal's ability to drop half the balls thrown to him cancel out any potential benefit he provided in the blocking game. It's comparable to keeping a kicker that can kick off well but never make a critical field goal. This was particularly true given that the Bills had a quarterback like Edwards who heavily depended on a pass-catching TE.

The release of Peters and having multiple rookies as starters has far more to do with the softness we're seeing with the line than Royal being let go. Shawn Nelson and Derek Fine are not the reason why the Bills OL cannot block.

Yet again, Simon is proven wrong. Sorry bud, the line wasn't the problem, it was the QB.

I completely disagree with your assessment. Royal's ability to drop half the balls thrown to him cancel out any potential benefit he provided in the blocking game. It's comparable to keeping a kicker that can kick off well but never make a critical field goal. This was particularly true given that the Bills had a quarterback like Edwards who heavily depended on a pass-catching TE.

The release of Peters and having multiple rookies as starters has far more to do with the softness we're seeing with the line than Royal being let go. Shawn Nelson and Derek Fine are not the reason why the Bills OL cannot block.

If you have a TE who's great at blocking but stinks as a receiver, should the offensive coordinator use him as a blocker, a receiver, or both?

Royal could have been a solid member of this team, if used in a way which played to his strength (blocking) while minimizing his weakness (receiving). It's not his fault that the coaching staff tried to make him into something he's not: namely, a complete TE.

I'll be the first to grant that if you use a TE only as a blocker, it makes your offense a lot more predictable. Having him run a few routes, here and there, would help keep defenses guessing. But the coaching staff went way too far in that direction, and put Royal in a position to fail. Robert Royal is no more a pass catching TE than Langston Walker is a LT.

Yet again, Simon is proven wrong. Sorry bud, the line wasn't the problem, it was the QB.

Yes, the Bills offense under Fitzpatrick put up a blistering 3.4 points per quarter pace yesterday. That is obviously irrefutable proof that the atrocious play we've seen from the OLine for the past month really didn't happen; it was simply a gigantic group hallucination. With Trent only putting up 3 points/quarter, it's obvious that the massive increase of .4 points/quarter is directly attributable to improved QB play.

Since it was obviously a problem with the QB, I'm thrilled to report that the Bills offensive troubles are now over, and opponents will now have no hope of overcoming the staggering 13pts/game pace that our new and greatly improved QB will be overwhelming the world with from here on in!

Thanks for the chuckle! :unsure:

T.O. Stats

009 Buffalo Bills 6 15 215 14.3 35.8 43T 1 3 1 9 0

15 catches, 6 drops. Well paid 6 million.

Saw this on Fanball.com:

Robert Royal : Royal leads league in drops

10/18/2009 08:26 AM

THE NEWS

Robert Royal is tied for the NFL lead in drops with five, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

OUR VIEW

He has just eight catches, so that is a staggering number. He is one of the least valuable, if not the least valuable, starting fantasy tight end in the NFL.

Now thats a shock. TO was at number 5. He may have moved up after the drops he had this week. A guy who screams constantly for the ball should be able to catch. What a waste of 6.5 million. At least he is only here for a year.