Coin Flip- How do the Bills NOT get the wind

zow2

Someone please explain the whole process to me. I think it's obvious that you want the wind at your back in either the 2nd Qtr or the 4th Qtr because those are the two longest quarters time-wise (teams usually use their time outs and also the 2-min warning). Not to mention you may want the wind for a last second FG attempt before either half expires. How did Cleveland end up with the wind at their backs for BOTH those quarters? It's shocking to me to see the Bills on their home field with the wind in the faces time and time again in the 4th QTr? Is this a Jauron thing?

After listening to Paul Hamilton on WGR, he said that Jauron always likes the wind to open the 3rd Qtr. Apparently he is a big fan of coming out of the Lockeroom and putting pressure on the other team. I can't believe Jauron, with his Yale education doesn't understand that the 2nd and 4th Qtrs are always extended and arguably the most important (since they end the half or game). To have the wind in our face for the 2nd and 4th Qtrs AGAIN is disgraceful. This has happened all too often in his tenure here. Marv ALWAYS had the wind at our backs in the 4th if he controlled that decision.

I'm curious about this too. If anyone who was at the game paid attention to the toss it would be interesting to know if we won the toss and deferred or if we lost the toss and decided to take the wind in Qs 1 & 3 vs 2 & 4.

I believe that we won the toss and "deferred" our choice of ball/wind to the second half. Basically, the way to get the wind in the fourth quarter is to win the toss and take the ball. The team that loses the toss then chooses the "wind" for the first half. The process is basically repeated in the second half, with the team that lost the toss choosing to take the ball or the wind in a particular quarter (I guess they could elect to simply kick, too, but not even we are dumb enough to do that). The long and short of it is, assuming we won the toss yesterday (I couldn't hear, but I thought we did), we should have taken the ball to start the game. Cleveland then would probably have taken the wind in the first quarter, and the ball at the start of the second half (lest it give us an extra possession). We then would have had the wind in the fourth quarter.

None of this, of course, makes a difference because the Bills are terrible and the season is effectively over. Hopefully whoever the next coach is won't consistently put the defense on the field to start the game - we seem to like to do that, even though it generally gives away the wind and puts us in danger putting the offense behind before it even steps on the field.

I believe that we won the toss and "deferred" our choice of ball/wind to the second half. Basically, the way to get the wind in the fourth quarter is to win the toss and take the ball. The team that loses the toss then chooses the "wind" for the first half. The process is basically repeated in the second half, with the team that lost the toss choosing to take the ball or the wind in a particular quarter (I guess they could elect to simply kick, too, but not even we are dumb enough to do that). The long and short of it is, assuming we won the toss yesterday (I couldn't hear, but I thought we did), we should have taken the ball to start the game. Cleveland then would probably have taken the wind in the first quarter, and the ball at the start of the second half (lest it give us an extra possession). We then would have had the wind in the fourth quarter.

None of this, of course, makes a difference because the Bills are terrible and the season is effectively over. Hopefully whoever the next coach is won't consistently put the defense on the field to start the game - we seem to like to do that, even though it generally gives away the wind and puts us in danger putting the offense behind before it even steps on the field.

No, the goal you pick to defend in the 1st is the one you defend in the 3rd. It doesn't change after halftime.

Before this deferral stuff came into being, when the wind was going to be really a factor, smart teams that won the toss gave the loser two kickoffs in exchange for the wind at their backs in the 2nd and the 4th quarters.

People make cases for getting the ball first, defending first and so on, thesedays.