Hey Brandon - Sheffield is 22/29 for 370 yds & 5 TDs

The Senator

How the heck does Leach do it?

Kid gets thrown into the deep end last week when Taylor Potts goes down with a concussion, wins the game 48-28, and today - at HALF-TIME - against Kansas State, Steven Scheffield is 22 of 29 for 370 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs, 0 Sacks.

And they guy will probably go undrafted in 2011, because he plays in Leach's 'gimmicky' system, and he's not a NFL-type QB - like, say Trent Edwards! :rolleyes::lol: :lol:

The Bills should start scouting the guy, and try like hell to hire...

Mike Leach

How the heck does Leach do it?

Kid gets thrown into the deep end last week when Taylor Potts goes down with a concussion, wins the game 48-28, and today - at HALF-TIME - against Kansas State, Steven Scheffield is 22 of 29 for 370 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs, 0 Sacks.

And they guy will probably go undrafted in 2011, because he plays in Leach's 'gimmicky' system, and he's not a NFL-type QB - like, say Trent Edwards! :rolleyes::lol: :lol:

The Bills should start scouting the guy, and try like hell to hire...

Mike Leach

His stats are now a gawdy 33-41 490 yds 7 tds 1 int

If they were NFL QBs they would be playing in the NFL...period

Do you really believe that there are no undrafted QBs from the last draft that can play and play well in the NFL??

Just look at the paths taken by such players as Fred Jackson, Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme and many others....things aren't as cut and dry as you make it seem...period

Oh - you mean like Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, etc.

Thanks for that wee tiny bit o' wisdom...period. B-)

are we talking about small college QBs here like Warren Moon, Kurt Warner or Jake Delhomme who all played in college when there wasnt the wealth of information there is today or are we talking about QBs that play in a system that clearly produces at a high level in a top conference no matter who the QB is at a time when there is an enormous amount of information on every player that steps on the field?

is that really that hard to understand.....thanks for playing for that tiny bit and bringing no wisdom...next time bring something better then that

are we talking about small college QBs here like Warren Moon, Kurt Warner or Jake Delhomme who all played in college when there wasnt the wealth of information there is today or are we talking about QBs that play in a system that clearly produces at a high level in a top conference no matter who the QB is at a time when there is an enormous amount of information on every player that steps on the field?

is that really that hard to understand.....thanks for playing for that tiny bit and bringing no wisdom...next time bring something better then that

No. My point was, quite simply, that NFL scouts & GMs are sometimes woefully stupid when it comes to judging QB talent.

Noticed you left one guy I cited - Boston College QB/Heisman-winner Doug Flutie - out of your 'small college' argument. Maybe because BC's a small program (???), or there was no 'wealth of information' about him (???) and his Heisman season (???) - including his last-second nat'l TV heroics over Bernie Kosar and 'The U' and subsequent 45-28 blowout of Houston in the Cotton Bowl????

Please explain that tiny oversight - otherwise, thanks for playing, and next time, please bring something better than that.

Mike Leach = Steve Spurrier.

it's a great COLLEGE system. There's too much speed on defense in the NFL. or he'd already be a coach in the NFL.

Yes, it s' time for a new era, New Era, but I must - respectfully - disagree. Spurrier approached the NFL with unprecedented arrogance, eschewing hard work for a round of golf while openly mocking Joe Gibbs and his long hours.

(Gibbs coached the Redskins for 12 seasons and led them to eight playoff appearances, four NFC Championship titles, and three Super Bowl titles, while Spurrier is peceived as- by you, myself, and most others - an abject failure as an NFL head coach.)

(BTW - Final Score - Taco Tach - 66, Kansas State - 14; Sheffield 33/41 (80%), 490 Yards, 7 TDs, 1 INT, Rating - 232.34

Yeah, why even look at the guy ( Sheffield) ? B-) After all, he plays in that 'gimmicky' system for...

Yes, it s' time for a new era, New Era, but I must - respectfully - disagree. Spurrier approached the NFL with unprecedented arrogance, eschewing hard work for a round of golf while openly mocking Joe Gibbs and his long hours (Gibbs coached the Redskins for 12 seasons and led them to eight playoff appearances, four NFC Championship titles, and three Super Bowl titles)

(BTW - Final Score - Taco Tach -66, Kansas State - 14; Sheffield 33/41 (80%), 7 TDs, 1 INT, Rating - 232.34

(Yeah, why even look at the guy. B-) )

of course you disagree....you started the thread.

I just watched your video. I like him. But I still don't believe that his system will succeed at eh nfl level due too the speed of its athletes. He's been coaching this offense for a number of years now. You don't think anyone in the NFL has taken notice to it? Of course they have. Why aren't any teams using his offense? That's for you to answer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd fire our whole coaching staff this second in order to get him. Too bad that's not saying much about him, as opposed to the people he'd be replacing.

of course you disagree....you started the thread.

I just watched your video. I like him. But I still don't believe that his system will succeed at eh nfl level due too the speed of its athletes. He's been coaching this offense for a number of years now. You don't think anyone in the NFL has taken notice to it? Of course they have. Why aren't any teams using his offense? That's for you to answer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd fire our whole coaching staff this second in order to get him. Too bad that's not saying much about him, as opposed to the people he'd be replacing.

My good man - Belichick's* Cheatriettes*, the (legitimate) SuperBowl Champion Steelers, Peyton Manning and Bill Polian's Colts, et al, have been using the "Spread Offense" - or some variation thereof - for at least 3 seasons now...

In the National Football League no team uses the spread offense only, but most all of the teams deploy the spread at some time in their offensive drives to mix up their plays and confuse the defense they are trying to beat.

link

Granted, the 'spread-option' is more prevalent than Leach's "Air-Raid" (myself, I like the air-raid - Leach's 'air-raid' was more a very particular adjustment to his Big 12 opposition than a 'Mike Leach Gospel' on how to run an offense), but there's no question that 'The Spread' is already here in the NFL, and here to stay...

Florida coach Urban Meyer has been asked for advice from at least four N.F.L. teams, including the New England Patriots. "I think it would have worked years ago," Meyer said. "No one has had enough -- I don't want to say courage -- no one has wanted to step across that line. Everyone runs the same offense in the N.F.L. A lot of those coaches are retreads. They get fired in Minnesota, they go to St. Louis. They get fired in St. Louis and go to San Diego. I guess what gets lost in the shuffle is your objective is to go win the game. If it's going to help you win the game, then you should run the spread."

The Spread: Spreading to the N.F.L.?

My good man - Belichick's* Cheatriettes*, the (legitimate) SuperBowl Champion Steelers, Peyton Manning and Bill Polian's Colts, et al, have been using the "Spread Offense" - or some variation thereof - for at least 3 seasons now...

In the National Football League no team uses the spread offense only, but most all of the teams deploy the spread at some time in their offensive drives to mix up their plays and confuse the defense they are trying to beat.

link

Granted, the 'spread-option' is more prevalent than Leach's "Air-Raid" (myself, I like the air-raid - Leach's 'air-raid' was more a very particular adjustment to his Big 12 opposition than a 'Mike Leach Gospel' on how to run an offense), but there's no question that 'The Spread' is already here in the NFL, and here to stay...

Florida coach Urban Meyer has been asked for advice from at least four N.F.L. teams, including the New England Patriots. "I think it would have worked years ago," Meyer said. "No one has had enough -- I don't want to say courage -- no one has wanted to step across that line. Everyone runs the same offense in the N.F.L. A lot of those coaches are retreads. They get fired in Minnesota, they go to St. Louis. They get fired in St. Louis and go to San Diego. I guess what gets lost in the shuffle is your objective is to go win the game. If it's going to help you win the game, then you should run the spread."

running "'some variations of the spread offense from time to time" and "running the spread offense the way Mike Leach runs the spread offense" are two entirely different realms of football x's and o's. The spacing of the OL. None of the teams you've listed uses Leaches spacing with the OL, just the WR's. While I agree it MAY be successful, NFL team owners certainly don't believe the hype, or he'd be coaching in the NFL.

link

Well...I hear what you're saying...But here's the thing IMHO...In the NFL the system by itself will not work...Especially in Buffalo NY where the weather can be brutal...Now if you're lucky enough to get a Jim Kelly, Tom Brady, or Manning...Then the system will work like a charm...But those guys come along what? Once in a Franchise?

I just dont think Leach and his system would stand much of a chance in Buffalo NY as a 1st time NFL HC UNLESS he got an All Pro calibre QB to run it...I realize just about any joe can run it in College but it's simply not the same in the Pros...It's going to take a heck of a stud to run it in the NFL successfully...And I'm just wondering where the Bills are going to get a QB like that...

It's just My opinion, but I think Shanahan or even John Fox are the best fits for The Bills because they have a tremendous commitment to Running the Football...And I think that's what it's going to take to Win again consistantly in Buffalo due to the climate...Unless of coarse they Draft a QB high AND that QB becomes one of the leagues best...But I'm not holding My breath on that one... B-)

Well...I hear what you're saying...But here's the thing IMHO...In the NFL the system by itself will not work...Especially in Buffalo NY where the weather can be brutal...Now if you're lucky enough to get a Jim Kelly, Tom Brady, or Manning...Then the system will work like a charm...But those guys come along what? Once in a Franchise?

In Leach's case, every year - and, apparently, sometimes 2-at a-time!!!!!

Texas Tech's Sheffield throws for 490 yards, 7 TDs in rout of KSU

(At some point, some here-to-fore idiot - hopefuly Ralph- turns into an incredibly prescient genius, 'breaks the code', and hires this guys who sprinkles 'magic dust' over every QB he meets B-))

I mean, seriously, at what point - after 9 or 10 years of having the NCAA's top QB and #1 offense - do the naysayers stop???? B-):DB-)

No. My point was, quite simply, that NFL scouts & GMs are sometimes woefully stupid when it comes to judging QB talent.

Noticed you left one guy I cited - Boston College QB/Heisman-winner Doug Flutie - out of your 'small college' argument. Maybe because BC's a small program (???), or there was no 'wealth of information' about him (???) and his Heisman season (???) - including his last-second nat'l TV heroics over Bernie Kosar and 'The U' and subsequent 45-28 blowout of Houston in the Cotton Bowl????

Please explain that tiny oversight - otherwise, thanks for playing, and next time, please bring something better than that.

did i really have to point out the knock on Flutie was his size? seriously, come on and its not like he came in and had anywhere near the NFL career Moon or Warner had so he shouldnt even be in that group

and i thought that was common sense...you continue to show your lack of knowledge

Warren Moon didnt fall through any cracks, he wasnt given a fair shake simply because of the color of his skin

Warner was with Green Bay at a time when they had Favre and liked to develop and possibly trade young QBs but with who was in front of him he never got a chance...to his credit he kept working at it and got another shot

Delhomme was an undrafted free agent of the Saints who spent a year in the world league and eventually signed with Carolina as a free agent

do I really have to mention Flutie again

the point is all of your examples eventually ended up in the NFL because they were good enough to get there and did something once they got the chance and with the way the NFL is always looking for QBs if the Texas Tech guys are good enough they will get their shots but as we all know they are not NFL QBs

monster stats in college does not translate into success in the NFL...thats just common sense