Do you blame Edwards for being shell-shocked?

LGB

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Peyton Manning owes his success to Jim Mora? Jim Kelly owes his to Hank Bullough?

Kelly himself credits his development to Mouse Davis and the time he played in the USFL. I'm sure the fact that Peyton Manning has had ONE offensive coordinator his entire career is a complete coincidence. Tom Moore deserves no credit, it's only Manning's genetic awesomeness that has gotten it done.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco made the playoffs as rookies playing under the stable leadership of rookie coaches?

Flacco and Ryan played on running teams. Both were in the bottom 4 in passes attempted on teams that were in the top 4 in both rushing attempts and rushing yards. That's smart, stable coaching from people who understand what it takes to win with a rookie QB.

Same thing swith Mark Sanchez. Rex Ryan's experienced staff has developed him into a franchise-caliber QB in all of 4 NFL games?

Jets: 4th in rushing attempts, 4th in rushing yards, 29th in passing attempts, 29th in completions, 25th in passing yards. Sanchez has 4 TDs and 5 interceptions. Jets defense: 4th in points allowed. Yeah, he's a franchise guy and the reason the team is getting it done. Ryan's staff deserves no credit. It's all about Sanchez.

I'd love to see your list of QBs who came out of college with the talent and ability of a Kelly, Marino, Elway, or even Flacco or Ryan, who were broken by poor coaching.

You're right. You're smarter than all the NFL personnel people combined and none of the first round QBs who've been picked have had the talent to be successful in the NFL and have been broken by their organizations.

Either a QB has the ability to be a franchise QB or he doesn't. The key isn't in the development, it's in identifying those players in the draft.

It's really that simple, isn't it? :thumbsup:

Edwards is probably only or two one more Pat LaFontaine hits away from concussion problems given the number of hits he has taken behind the least experienced NFL offensive line. That is, if he hasn’t already been having issues. Trent Edwards has been behind a sub-par line all through college and with the Bills. If you were QB of the Bills, would you want to have this collection of rookies and bench-sitters protecting you from 270 pound bull-rushing defensive ends and all-out blitzing safeties? Is it any wonder the guy is shell-shocked to the point where the first instinct is to bail-out? The OL is everything on offense and besides Edwards having issues, it will be tough to run the ball with a rookie OL. Would anyone be really surprised with a one-win season with the mess we have right now?

the idiots around here are blaming trent for the failures of the front office and injuries.

they let peters go,enough said period!

we have no offensive tackles left.

bell is in his 4 year of organized football. butler our best lineman is on IR gone. scott is the fourth tackle on the roster who should never see the field yet he is our starting RT. he gets hurt and chambers who did not make the freaking team is playing RT.

the only reserve offensive lineman we had left yesterday was McKinney.LOL

the team look good the first 2 games when it was healthy. we now have 8 starters out and a couple of backups who were playing for the injured starters.

you message boarg GM's do realize we play with 22 guys right!

but i know to all you hard guys injuries dont matter get freaking real.

there is no one left . the last 3 years we had the most injurines in the league enough said.

blame wilson,brandon and allaire not a QB who is playing behind a line that cannot protect him.

did any of you geniouses notice that we had to and 3 TE's end most of the game to max protect.

that left evans and TOs our only receivers and of course cleveland doubled them.

even with 8 peopler blockimg 4 or 5 trent is constantly running for his life and you want to blame him get freaking real.

the partys over. we have basically no more LB's left or offensive linemen and 3/4 of our secondery out.

you guys blaming trent are a bunch of idiots.

think back to NE and Tampa when we had a healthy team it was a fun team to watch.

unfortunatly that team is gone!

I agree with you, even yesterdays announcers said he was doing a good job considering he had no protection from a pathetic offensive line. He has been really good at times this year and pretty bad at times, but for the most part, you don't know how good he is going to be, because he doesn't have time to do anything. 9 out of 10 pass plays, as soon as he gets the ball he is running away from a pass rusher that didn't even get touched by a blocker. The O-Line sucks so bad that he is forced to get the ball to the running backs on short passes to use their skills, because there are no holes for handoff runs. Everyone blames him for checking off all the time, but if he didn't, the same people would blame him for taking even more sacks than he has already, which by the way is at last check the second most in the NFL.

I think Big Ben and Aaron Rogers disprove this theory...

Big Ben and Aaron Rogers have proven that even with OL injuries, the ball can come out quick and on target.

I know, all we need is another good WR like Owens to open up Evans - right? How many millions of dollars do we have tied up at the WR position?

Personally, I see a pattern. We bring in a promising QB who does well for the first half a season, and over time they all morph into the exact same person. Bledsoe, Johnson, Losman, Edwards. Every one of them has ended up in the exact same spot:

Holding on to the ball too long.

Errant throws.

Taking sacks in critical situations.

Indecisiveness.

We can say "Edwards sucks" just like we said "Losman sucks" like we said "Johnson sucks" like we said "Bledsoe is over the hill and sucks."

The truth is, the Bills have withered and died since Bill Polian left. He continues to draft quality talent and stock his team properly with emphasis on the line of scrimmage first. I see people talking about drafting this QB or that QB.

It doesn't matter. Put Tom Brady back there. Put Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre or anyone else you want, and in 8 games, after getting pounded and harassed (both on the field and off) they'll all end up in the exact same place.

It's an organizational pattern and it doesn't appear likely to change. Every off season we get our hopes up. Every season we see Monday mornings turn into a cloud of despair and futility, dreaming of the day when we might have legitimate hope. But it's not going to come from any single player.

Mitchell and Owens have both been to the Superbowl and agree we have the talent to do great things. Bringing in a new QB isn't going to change a thing other than give us someone else to revile.

Turkish proverb, "The fish stinks from the head downward."

Edwards has plenty of targets but not enough time. Most of that is his own fault for not being faster on quick throws, but it is not like AVP can't see what is going on.

I stand by my original thesis that a slightly above average NFL QB and all less than that would be marginalized by this team. I think Drew Brees would fail miserably. There are only a few that I speculate could actually throw well despite this mess.

I am frankly surprised this team beat Tampa. With the injuries on D and the ST choking the 7-9 team from last year was light years ahead of this group. They will be Drafting first or second unless RW cleans house ASAP and gives someone else a shot at running this show.

I still can't blame Trent Edwards. I still blame Dick Jauron for this whole mess. His inability to field a coaching staff (during the 8 month offseason) to guide and support the players is the most discouraging and underline fault for the 1-4 start.

I still can't blame Trent Edwards. I still blame Dick Jauron for this whole mess. His inability to field a coaching staff (during the 8 month offseason) to guide and support the players is the most discouraging and underline fault for the 1-4 start.

All I know is every QB we draft or sign as a FA turns into Checkdown Charlie. I have no idea why. Coaching? Bad scouting? Bad WNY karma? Pull out the tape of Edwards first year and the guy had no problem making the tight throw. Now he can't put the ball into Niagara River from the middle of the Peace Bridge.

PTR

All I know is every QB we draft or sign as a FA turns into Checkdown Charlie. I have no idea why. Coaching? Bad scouting? Bad WNY karma? Pull out the tape of Edwards first year and the guy had no problem making the tight throw. Now he can't put the ball into Niagara River from the middle of the Peace Bridge.

PTR

When you put a QB behind a joke OL, what other viable option does he have?

PTR

It's not the water -- it's the constant instability at offensive line. It's a problem that goes back to the mid-90s. There has been no continuity at all. They bring in mediocre/bad players and sacrifice them after a couple of bad seasons, or let their better players (i.e., pretty good but not great -- Jennings) go because they think they're overvalued. Plus they draft mediocre guys in later rounds and pray that they get lucky (Robert Hicks, Spriggs, Ziegler, Butler, Trey Teague, Ben Sobieski, Corey Louchiey, etc. etc. -- the list is endless). The one guy they drafted early was unfortunately a bust, although this year they finally drafted a couple of guys early. That's not going to show this year, but in the future it will. Unfortunately they got fed up with their best lineman and traded him. Whatever you think of Peters, keeping him did represent continuity. I do think that Wood and Levitre will be starting for the Bills two years from now (barring injury), but I doubt that anyone else on that line will be with the possible exception of Hangartner. The cycle will continue, although it'll be a little better because there will be two constants going forward as opposed to zero or one.

Flutie was the only player capable of masking the decade-plus long clusterf**k up front it until Edwards came along, but even he has succumbed and is now a bad QB. He's not the same player from a year ago.

Not sure where you're going there.

All we heard for the last couple of years was we needed a another WR to take the heat off Evans. When Hardy did not look like the answer, Owens was signed. Now, both multi-million dollar WRs have been missing. Evans used to be able to get more open without TO on the other side. So all that money spent at WR is a waste if there is no OL or QB.

It's not the water -- it's the constant instability at offensive line. It's a problem that goes back to the mid-90s. There has been no continuity at all. They bring in mediocre/bad players and sacrifice them after a couple of bad seasons, or let their better players (i.e., pretty good but not great -- Jennings) go because they think they're overvalued. Plus they draft mediocre guys in later rounds and pray that they get lucky (Robert Hicks, Spriggs, Ziegler, Butler, Trey Teague, Ben Sobieski, Corey Louchiey, etc. etc. -- the list is endless). The one guy they drafted early was unfortunately a bust, although this year they finally drafted a couple of guys early. That's not going to show this year, but in the future it will. Unfortunately they got fed up with their best lineman and traded him. Whatever you think of Peters, keeping him did represent continuity. I do think that Wood and Levitre will be starting for the Bills two years from now (barring injury), but I doubt that anyone else on that line will be with the possible exception of Hangartner. The cycle will continue, although it'll be a little better because there will be two constants going forward as opposed to zero or one.

Flutie was the only player capable of masking the decade-plus long clusterf**k up front it until Edwards came along, but even he has succumbed and is now a bad QB. He's not the same player from a year ago.

Losman threw for 3000+ yds in 2006 in what would be described as a crappy o-line