A Few Thoughts About The Game

Calling Evans one of the best wideouts in the game is going way too far for my taste. Evans is not capable of having a Marvin Harrison-type career--or anything even close--unless he significantly improves the quality of his play.

Yes, occasionally he'll burn someone deep, especially in one-on-one coverage. Losman was at his best when throwing long bombs to Evans; which would often result in one or two big plays a game.

But Evans is one-dimensional. He's short, which means you can't throw him jump balls the way you could with a Randy Moss. Maybe that's the reason why Evans disappears when the Bills are in the red zone.

Unlike other short receivers--for example, Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers--Evans isn't particularly good at using good routes and quickness to get open on intermediate routes.

I view Evans as a #2, in the speed/deep threat, Alvin Harper/Peerless Price mold. Yes, Evans is a better player than either of those two. But he's a better variant of their same basic theme.

Our offense needs a true #1 WR. In addition, of course, to all its other needs.

Not for mine. Marvin Harrison is not a big guy and he did'nt make his HOF career in the middle of the field or going for jump balls. And Evans is not just a "better variant" of Peerless Price. Evans has in fact never had a QB who could get him the ball in stride. The fact that all JP could do is crank it up and let her fly does'nt mean he was a good passer, even if Lee was able to run under a few of those. And by the way Jake falling apart has made Steve Smith look like something less than the receiver we all know him to be. Unfortunately we have never seen (and may never see) just how good Lee can be.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for mine. Marvin Harrison is not a big guy and he did'nt make his HOF career in the middle of the field or going for jump balls. And Evans is not just a "better variant" of Peerless Price. Evans has in fact never had a QB who could get him the ball in stride. The fact that all JP could do is crank it up and let her fly does'nt mean he was a good passer, even if Lee was able to run under a few of those. And by the way Jake falling apart has made Steve Smith look like something less than the receiver we all know him to be. Unfortunately we have never seen (and may never see) just how good Lee can be.

You haven't quite convinced me, but you've expressed yourself well, and have given me something to think about.

You haven't quite convinced me, but you've expressed yourself well, and have given me something to think about.

Well... er...actually I see where you are coming from. Marvin probably ran better patterns than Lee does and at the end of the day Lee's stats are clearly not what they should be. Still I'd love to see what Lee could do in the right scheme and with someone who could deliver the ball as well as Peyton can or JK could. I really feel his development is held back. And I think he is a true competitor, like Randy Moss and TO, and therefore its a shame. Guys like that really get down when things are bad with no sign of improvement. An disillusioned unmotivated Moss was garbage in Oakland. Some professional football people thought and said he was done and yet the same player was even then maybe the best ever after Jerry Rice (no offence to TO).

Well... er...actually I see where you are coming from. Marvin probably ran better patterns than Lee does and at the end of the day Lee's stats are clearly not what they should be. Still I'd love to see what Lee could do in the right scheme and with someone who could deliver the ball as well as Peyton can or JK could. I really feel his development is held back. And I think he is a true competitor, like Randy Moss and TO, and therefore its a shame. Guys like that really get down when things are bad with no sign of improvement. An disillusioned unmotivated Moss was garbage in Oakland. Some professional football people thought and said he was done and yet the same player was even then maybe the best ever after Jerry Rice (no offence to TO).

Yeah, it's hard to say, but I think you raise a good point about motivation. That's not to excuse Evans if he really is getting down and letting it affect his play - but it does mean that everyone should be cautious about thinking he couldn't do well with different pieces in place. Evans's speed is an asset, but that doesn't mean the only way to use it is to send him long. Why is it I see NFL games all the time where receivers are able to make catches (relatively) short because corners fear their big play ability, yet the Bills don't do that? Is that on Evans, on the coaches, or on the QB? Or all three? My greatest fear is we don't have anyone on staff who can begin to untangle the tremendous mass of suckitude that is the Bills' offense right now.

I know I'm late to the party, but here's my thoughts on the game:

1. Why Fred only got 9 carries? I know we wanted to ML involved but he was getting stuffed and Fred was doing what Fred does. If you have the 4th leading RB in the NFL and only give him the ball 9 times while he averaging almost 5 a carry, that's just dumb football.

2. Why no blitzes on Henne? He's in his first NFL start. Bring the heat. He'll probably fumble or throw a pick. If he can beat it, then back off. We played him like he was YA Tittle or something.

3. Why no screens? They had their ears pinned back and were charging in. A screen like we did against NE probably would have worked. Who's calling these plays?

4. We gotta figure out a way to convert 3rd down. 1 for 11 sucks.

5. Kelsay (perenial TSW whipping boy) turns in some more good play. Obviously not enough.

6. On Trent's first 2 picks anyway, it wasn't the OLs fault. On both of those he dropped back and flat foot threw 2 bad balls. Why do you run an out on the 20? If it's picked it's TD. Especially if you're QB has a history of doing this? Who's calling these plays?

7. Worst outing by the Bills since the MNF blowout at the hands of the Patsies* last year.

8. For the love of Pete, why can't we get TO the freakin' football on the run? Remember hist first reception against the Titans? What happened to that play?

9. Why no more TO end arounds? Worked good the first time we did it 2 games ago. The thing to do now would be to make it a double reverse with him handing it to Roscoe going the other way.

We ARE going to beat the Clowns though! I hope.