Most mind-boggling stat (of many) ...

Being a good player and/or a wasted pick are 2 entirely different things imo. He would have been a very nice player for a team with a solid foundation, although a #8 was very high under any circumstances.

You can't build a team around its secondary and expect to win.

Right. Which is why so many of us wanted, expected, and should have had Ngata.

Chalk this stat up to the offense - look at time of posession. Many of the Saints yards came late in the game when the D was flat out exhausted.

Both sides of the ball are responsible for the lousy time of possession stat. Our defense can't get off the field on third down. Not only does that hurt our time of possession and cause the defense to tire out more quickly, but it deprives the offense of some of the possessions it otherwise would have had. Not that the offense would have done anything useful with those possessions anyway.

Here's another stat for this thread: the Bills' offense has allowed 16 sacks over the first four games. They're on pace to allow a whopping 64 sacks over the course of the season.

And keep in mind that during the first games of the season, we still had Bell and Butler. Now that Butler's done for the year, and Bell is out at least for a while, we can expect that 64 sacks a year pace to accelerate.

Here's another stat for this thread: the Bills' offense has allowed 16 sacks over the first four games. They're on pace to allow a whopping 64 sacks over the course of the season.

And keep in mind that during the first games of the season, we still had Bell and Butler. Now that Butler's done for the year, and Bell is out at least for a while, we can expect that 64 sacks a year pace to accelerate.

They would have come close to that figure even if Bell and Butler were still there. A 7th round pick and a converted guard aren't the bookends that could stop teams when they decided to blitz our check-down loving QB.

If the Pats knew that Edwards would ignore Evans and Owens, they would have blitzed the hell out of Edwards too, instead of playing coverage defenses, and probably would have racked up 5 or 6 sacks against Bell and Butler.

We gave up 472 yards rushing in our last two games. Let that sink in for a second. 472 yards ... in two games. Good God, even O.J. never got 472 in two games. And he got 2,003 in 14 games. I'm still in shock. I've seen a lot of things in 40 years following this team, but that has GOT to be some kind of record for defensive ineptitude. I better calm down because I have to get up in about three hours and go to work. But 472 yards in two frickin' games? Where do you even START to address that?

Not a record, but worst 2 game performance since 1979.

Graham blog

It's the worst back-to-back performance since 1979, when they allowed 510 rushing yards.