LANCE ARMSTRONG AND I DESPERATELY NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Steely Dan

The Petition  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Did You Sign The Petition?

• Yes, I care about others
    • No, I'm a self centered jerkface <sarc> It's an over statement for effect. Sorry a lot of you didn't get that.

Obviously a lot of people when given the choice of defending cancer patients vs. insurance companies feel the insurance companies need their support more.

It's not surprising that a lot of people here think about themselves a lot more than others. They have to live with themselves. I can look myself in the mirror every morning without feeling my life is creating a lot of problems for others. I in fact live to help others. I can't rectify people's political beliefs with their religious beliefs. That's for them to do.

I didn't read everything you posted because you're out of control emotionally on this but I'm assuming that it's about someone who can't get insurance because the have cancer? If that's the case let me ask you a question. Should someone with a terminal illness be offered life insurance?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read everything you posted because you're out of control emotionally on this but I'm assuming that it's about someone who can't get insurance because the have cancer? If that's the case let me ask you a question. Should someone with a terminal illness be offered life insurance?

Hey Chef... you are all "work hard and take care of yourself" right? Lets say next week some time, Thursday perhaps, so on Thursday of next week you (Chef Jim) get a to work in the morning and receive a pink slip. That sucks. Then lets say at about 3:00 in the afternoon your doctor calls you and says you have cancer.

... would you be emotional?

Since I am on the mailing list for this organization and I know it's real. Uconn's comments serve to sabotage the entire cause.

This isn't about life insurance. This about people who can be cured through procedures and insurance companies denying them coverage when they've paid for it.

I apologize Chef. Since I have cancer I suppose I should've taken Uconn's complete idiocy lighter. Did I over do it? Probably, but this a very hot button issue for me. All you need to read is the first post to understand it, but that's not possible for you I suppose. That's ok. Keep the lazy attitude going. It's helping a lot of people. :lol:

Evidently getting an email from an organization that I'm on the email list for makes people think of scams. Then those people continue to perpetuate their idiocy and it really makes me fly off the handle.

Before somebody calls an email a scam on a very critical issue perhaps they should check it out first. In one of the posts you didn't want to read I show that the link on the petition page asking for donations has the exact same URL as the one on the LIVESTRONG site. If it was a scam don't you think the donation request on the petition site would go to a different URL?

Sorry if my anger at someone who is trying to keep people away from the site because they're not very smart causes me a lot of anger. I doubt Uconn even read anything after I said this is from an email I got.

Ok you're upset. But how can an insurance company insure someone who has a major preexisting condition that would end up costing the insurance company tens or more likely hundreds of thousands of dollars? You go to the doctor and he has bad news....it's cancer. So you expect any insurance carrier to pay for all your treatment? You finish your treatment, drop you insurance and say thanks guys. Why was there no coverage in the meantime? You know, life really does suck sometimes.

Hey Chef... you are all "work hard and take care of yourself" right? Lets say next week some time, Thursday perhaps, so on Thursday of next week you (Chef Jim) get a to work in the morning and receive a pink slip. That sucks. Then lets say at about 3:00 in the afternoon your doctor calls you and says you have cancer.

... would you be emotional?

I'd be willing to bet that this problem hasn't happened to him or anyone he cares about so it's not something, I'm pretty sure, he ever thinks about happening to him or his family.

After all people deny a lot of things. Smoking won't elevate your chances for getting cancer, fatty foods won't increase your chances of a heart attack, driving without a seatbelt on is safer than driving with one on, a lot of people support the war until their child is killed. Unfortunately a lot of people are incapable of putting themselves in another person's shoes and that causes a lot of problems for people who have real problems.

Somebody I've heard about has a child with a glaucoma problem that requires a lot meds every month. Together the parents make approx. $40,000 a year and therefore don't qualify for government assistance. They think that if the wife quits her job it may save them more money in the long run because they will then qualify. If a widow or widower is just below the assistance line then they may find it better to refuse raises and/or promotions. But hey if they work hard they'll succeed. :lol:

Ok you're upset. But how can an insurance company insure someone who has a major preexisting condition that would end up costing the insurance company tens or more likely hundreds of thousands of dollars? You go to the doctor and he has bad news....it's cancer. So you expect any insurance carrier to pay for all your treatment? You finish your treatment, drop you insurance and say thanks guys. Why was there no coverage in the meantime? You know, life really does suck sometimes.

Maybe someday something will happen (hopefully not bad) to make you care about people more than insurance companies. Money < Human Life.

Maybe someday something will happen (hopefully not bad) to make you care about people more than insurance companies. Money < Human Life.

No, I just understand how insurance works. Do you think everyone should have life insurance? Disability insurance? Long term care insurance? I care tons about people. But what I do is help them be proactive and forward thinking. Lots of these sad stories can be blamed on the American "I'll worry about that when it happens" motto.

So, you believe that somebody, who has cancer, is going to cancel their insurance after the initial treatment is done while knowing, full well, that they will never, ever, be able to get another insurance policy under the existing conditions . God you're inability to really understand things outside your own carved in stone thought process' is astounding.

As far as the "life sucks sometimes" comment meaning you don't care about people, I apologize. Obviously I've read that "life suck sometimes" comment as being cold and uncaring. Sorry, I guess you meant something I don't get.

No, I just understand how insurance works. Do you think everyone should have life insurance? Disability insurance? Long term care insurance? I care tons about people. But what I do is help them be proactive and forward thinking. Lots of these sad stories can be blamed on the American "I'll worry about that when it happens" motto.

Chef, your first comments on this weren't about how are people supposed to handle these things, instead it was asking about the insurance companies. If you really believe that one of your plans could've helped everyone this problem encompasses you are even worse off with the "I only care about myself" isssue than I thought. A lot of this isn't due to "poor planning" you're an elitist if you think so.

Let's say one of your customers makes $100,000 a year. They've come to you and set up an account that is worth a million dollars. The insurance company makes an excuse and drops them. How will that cover cancer procedures that often run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars? I care tons about people. You know, life really does suck sometimes.

So if you believe that some people are not victims of poor planning then what should be done for them. Give me an answer that shows how much "you care about people"

A simple google search turned up lots of hits that makes this seem legit. Denying coverage for pre-existing conditions is an issue we should address one way or another.

Post #12 in this thread MORE than proves this is legit. If you ignore all of the anger and read the links you'll see it is legit.

So, you believe that somebody, who has cancer, is going to cancel their insurance after the initial treatment is done while knowing, full well, that they will never, ever, be able to get another insurance policy under the existing conditions . God you're inability to really understand things outside your own carved in stone thought process' is astounding.

As far as the "life sucks sometimes" comment meaning you don't care about people, I apologize. Obviously I've read that "life suck sometimes" comment as being cold and uncaring. Sorry, I guess you meant something I don't get.

Chef, your first comments on this weren't about how are people supposed to handle these things, instead it was asking about the insurance companies. If you really believe that one of your plans could've helped everyone this problem encompasses you are even worse off with the "I only care about myself" isssue than I thought. A lot of this isn't due to "poor planning" you're an elitist if you think so.

Let's say one of your customers makes $100,000 a year. They've come to you and set up an account that is worth a million dollars. The insurance company makes an excuse and drops them. How will that cover cancer procedures that often run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars? I care tons about people. You know, life really does suck sometimes.

So if you believe that some people are not victims of poor planning then what should be done for them. Give me an answer that shows how much "you care about people"

Steely, life does suck sometimes, no matter how you plan, how you try to protect yourself and your family it sometime sucks. But sometimes you can reduce how badly it sucks by planning. You cover yourself and your family to the best of ability. You have good insurance (health, life, disability, LTC, etc) and then you come down with some terrible illness. You've protected your family, they'll have the means to pay for your illness or be taken care of when you die. But guess what, you're (or someone you love) is still sick and may die. Well that sucks. But illness and death are part of life.

Now your statement about insurance companies making excuses and dropping people, I can't answer to that. I don't work in the health insurance industry. The way the current system works needs to be changed no doubt about it. Health insurance needs to be made more affordable and not attached to your employer/employment in any way. That way it would work just like life insurance. You pay for it outside of work and it stays with you as long as you pay for it. No preexisting crap, no dropped coverage when you change jobs etc. I tell people that tell me they have life insurance at work that I don't even consider that as part of their plan. People need to have it outside of work so when they change jobs they're still covered and don't have to worry any preexisting conditions or trying to get re-underwritten.

I care about people, it's what I do but I also understand that life can be cruel sometimes. And for every denied claim (and I think that sucks) there are millions and millions of dollars that have been paid out that have saved lives....but we don't hear about those.

Steely, life does suck sometimes, no matter how you plan, how you try to protect yourself and your family it sometime sucks. But sometimes you can reduce how badly it sucks by planning. You cover yourself and your family to the best of ability. You have good insurance (health, life, disability, LTC, etc) and then you come down with some terrible illness. You've protected your family, they'll have the means to pay for your illness or be taken care of when you die. But guess what, you're (or someone you love) is still sick and may die. Well that sucks. But illness and death are part of life.

Now your statement about insurance companies making excuses and dropping people, I can't answer to that. I don't work in the health insurance industry. The way the current system works needs to be changed no doubt about it. Health insurance needs to be made more affordable and not attached to your employer/employment in any way. That way it would work just like life insurance. You pay for it outside of work and it stays with you as long as you pay for it. No preexisting crap, no dropped coverage when you change jobs etc. I tell people that tell me they have life insurance at work that I don't even consider that as part of their plan. People need to have it outside of work so when they change jobs they're still covered and don't have to worry any preexisting conditions or trying to get re-underwritten.

I care about people, it's what I do but I also understand that life can be cruel sometimes. And for every denied claim (and I think that sucks) there are millions and millions of dollars that have been paid out that have saved lives....but we don't hear about those.

Do you believe that because a lot of people are helped and less than that are screwed that it's not a serious problem and doesn't need any serious attention?

Here's one. Me. The employer I worked for had great insurance and a great plan to help me financially. Not everyone has that. In fact my nurse told me that a lot of people are fired once they are diagnosed with cancer. Also, if somebody is making $50,000 a year and their insurance company deems something an un necessary procedure what do they do if it's a $40,000 procedure?

If your wife, god forbid, came down with a disease that may or may not be cured with expensive treatments would you say to her face or anyone else's face that you know that "life suck sometimes, our insurance company dropped us but there's no guarantee these treatments would have worked and anyway how would an insurance company survive if they had to pay these claims?"

I'm guessing life sucks until it affects you.

Also, are you aware of the difference in cost for health insurance when you're on a single payer plan vs. a large group plan?

IMO, "life sucks for them" and "I won't do much to help them" are oxymorons.

People with pre-existing conditions should not be covered. That's the entire point of insurance.

Let's put it this way:

I own a vehicle. You own the exact same year, make model, features, etc. and we purchased it on the same day.

I pay for auto insurance for 7 years on the car, collision coverage lets say. Over the 7 years, I pay $2500 for that collision coverage.

You drive around uninsured for the same 7 years, paying $0 for the non-existent coverage.

We both get into a fender bender on the same day. Total repair bill happens to be $1000 each. I have a $500 deductible. So, I pay $500, on top of the $2500 I paid over the 7 years I was insured.

You decide now, with a pre-existing condition of this vehicle damage to buy insurance. You report the claim for this pre-existing damage and under your system, this gets covered. You pay $500 (oh wait, you'd likely pick the $0 deductible since you know you have damage to repair) and you're free to go.

Read that, tell me if it makes sense, and then tell me people should be covered that have pre-existing conditions. Want insurance? Pay for it damn it! Want it free? Move to Canada and wait 18 hours in the ER for a broken arm.

Do you believe that because a lot of people are helped and less than that are screwed that it's not a serious problem and doesn't need any serious attention?

Here's one. Me. The employer I worked for had great insurance and a great plan to help me financially. Not everyone has that. In fact my nurse told me that a lot of people are fired once they are diagnosed with cancer. Also, if somebody is making $50,000 a year and their insurance company deems something an un necessary procedure what do they do if it's a $40,000 procedure?

If your wife, god forbid, came down with a disease that may or may not be cured with expensive treatments would you say to her face or anyone else's face that you know that "life suck sometimes, our insurance company dropped us but there's no guarantee these treatments would have worked and anyway how would an insurance company survive if they had to pay these claims?"

I'm guessing life sucks until it affects you.

Also, are you aware of the difference in cost for health insurance when you're on a single payer plan vs. a large group plan?

IMO, "life sucks for them" and "I won't do much to help them" are oxymorons.

If my wife came down with a terrible illness and was fired from work we'd still be ok. I've planned for that. And if my wife came down with a terrible illness I'd sure tell her that life sucks sometimes because your wife or anyone you care for getting sick sucks. I think she'd get it Steely.

Yes I know the difference in costs between being a single payer and a large group and that's why I said you should be able to get insurance outside of work as part of a large group. That's how insurance works, the law of large numbers. But did you know that in a group often times it is more expensive that a single payer?

If my wife came down with a terrible illness and was fired from work we'd still be ok. I've planned for that. And if my wife came down with a terrible illness I'd sure tell her that life sucks sometimes because your wife or anyone you care for getting sick sucks. I think she'd get it Steely.

Yes I know the difference in costs between being a single payer and a large group and that's why I said you should be able to get insurance outside of work as part of a large group. That's how insurance works, the law of large numbers. But did you know that in a group often times it is more expensive that a single payer?

I'm glad to see you've planned for hundreds of thousands of out of pocket expenses but you must realize that somebody making $25-75k couldn't possibly.

The life sucks comment, was in regards to not being able to pay for a procedure due your insurance company putting their money ahead of her life. Nice way to skirt that question.

I'm glad to see you've planned for hundreds of thousands of out of pocket expenses but you must realize that somebody making $25-75k couldn't possibly.

The life sucks comment, was in regards to not being able to pay for a procedure due your insurance company putting their money ahead of her life. Nice way to skirt that question.

Who said anything about out of pocket?

Who said anything about out of pocket?

Since the entire reason for this thread is how cancer patients are getting screwed by insurance companies and ending up with huge out of pocket expenses I thought that was the subject we were discussing. :lol:

So I guess you can't handle hundreds of thousands of dollars of out of pocket expenses. If that's true then you should have planned better.

Since the entire reason for this thread is how cancer patients are getting screwed by insurance companies and ending up with huge out of pocket expenses I thought that was the subject we were discussing. :lol:

So I guess you can't handle hundreds of thousands of dollars of out of pocket expenses. If that's true then you should have planned better.

Who said anything about it coming out of my pocket? If I or my wife (and most of my clients) get cancer and lose their job and thus lose their health insurance they will have access to potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Who said anything about it coming out of my pocket? If I or my wife (and most of my clients) get cancer and lose their job and thus lose their health insurance they will have access to potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars.

And if you couldn't give her a procedure due to not having the money to cover it you'd tell her that insurance company profit is more important than her life. (But that would never happen because you've planned so well that it's a stupid question to even pose.) :lol:

I'm very happy for you that you and your buddies can handle that situation, but most Americans can't and it's not due to poor planning.

Once again you've proven your inability to understand anybody else's problems. It's I'm covered for such an emergency. My clients are covered for such emergencies.

I still haven't heard one solution to the main problem being discussed here, just a lot of half thought out solutions. I get the impression that the reason they are half thought out is because it's never even occurred to you that this is a problem, until maybe now.

And if you couldn't give her a procedure due to not having the money to cover it you'd tell her that insurance company profit is more important than her life. (But that would never happen because you've planned so well that it's a stupid question to even pose.) :lol:

I'm very happy for you that you and your buddies can handle that situation, but most Americans can't and it's not due to poor planning.

Once again you've proven your inability to understand anybody else's problems. It's I'm covered for such an emergency. My clients are covered for such emergencies.

I still haven't heard one solution to the main problem being discussed here, just a lot of half thought out solutions. I get the impression that the reason they are half thought out is because it's never even occurred to you that this is a problem, until maybe now.

You too could be covered for such an emergency. I would love to help everyone so this wouldn't be a problem but you be surprised how many people don't accept the help or would rather buy NFL Sunday Ticket and yell at their favorite team instead.

I told you my thoughts on the health insurance industry. But you seem not to interested in that. You're content in crying to me that I don't care about anyone. Little do you know. B-)