Here's what I detest most about Jauron ...

truth on hold

It's that all his terrible crunch time decisions put the players in a position to fail. And when that happens he conveniently makes sure the blame is on the player(s) in question, and not his awful decisions. That he's an incompetent coach is unacceptable, that he's a scapegoat artist is sickening.

Examples:

- MNF against Browns 2008: Bills have 1st and 10 at Browns 32. Instead of making an attempt to get extra yards and a more manageable game winning FG, he basically takes a knee 3 plays in a row. All the while leaving Lindell on the sidelines knowing he's going to have to come in and make a 47 yarder to win or miss to lose in horrible winter weather;

- MNF against Pats 2009: he should have known the one thing we couldn't do on the kick return was turn it over. He needed to make sure this was being made crystal clear to McKelvin that unless he goes OB, that the 1st guy he comes into contact with he's to go down while holding onto the ball;

- Against Saints 2009: punts on 4th and less than 1 down by 2 scores. Keeping tired defense on the field, who promptly get scored on.

When forced to comment on such things he'll make deflecting statements like "we need to learn how to make better plays at these times."

Translation: the players are either a) too young or b) too incompetent, to have made the right plays. It's not about coaching, it's about players that aren't there yet.

I FREAKING HATE THIS GUY.

It's that all his terrible crunch time decisions put the players in a position to fail. And when that happens he conveniently makes sure the blame is on the player(s) in question, and not his awful decisions. That he's an incompetent coach is unacceptable, that he's a scapegoat artist is sickening.

Examples:

- MNF against Browns 2008: Bills have 1st and 10 at Browns 32. Instead of making an attempt to get extra yards and a more manageable game winning FG, he basically takes a knee 3 plays in a row. All the while leaving Lindell on the sidelines knowing he's going to have to come in and make a 47 yarder to win or miss to lose in horrible winter weather;

- MNF against Pats 2009: he should have known the one thing we couldn't do on the kick return was turn it over. He needed to make sure this was being made crystal clear to McKelvin that unless he goes OB, that the 1st guy he comes into contact with he's to go down while holding onto the ball;

- Against Saints 2009: punts on 4th and less than 1 down by 2 scores. Keeping tired defense on the field, who promptly get scored on.

When forced to comment on such things he'll make deflecting statements like "we need to learn how to make better plays at these times."

Translation: the players are either a) too young or b) too incompetent, to have made the right plays. It's not about coaching, it's about players that aren't there yet.

Yep. He makes terrible, mind-boggling decisions.

Examples:

Unfortunately, the 3 games that you talk about are just a fraction of the games that he has screwed up one way or another!

what about letting his guys get beat on the exact same play, two times in a row....both of Watson's touchdowns in this yrs Monday nighter....

or how the Bills didn't play the sidelines in Dallas' comeback win 2 yrs ago on MNF

or

how he alows the turnover prone Losman to roll out on a pass play, while we are nursing a 4th qtr lead against the Jets

or

how we keep drafting DBs when the team has 10 other pressing needs.

I can keep going, but this is starting to depress me

What I think most people miss about the Saints game is this:

Jauron wanted the game to be a low scoring, defensive affair with little offense. The man loves low scoring contests where his team keeps the other team down. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out ad infinitum, DJ needs to play bad teams to get this to work. Rarely does he overwhelm AND win games where the other teams are fundamentally solid. NO is a perfect example.

Fans think DJ allows his coordinators to do their thing. I disagree, and believe he directs his principal assistants to game-plan based on strict guidance. This entails an uber-conservative offensive plan combined with a no-frills defensive package. This has been on display more often than not in 51 career games as Bills HC.

Oh, and the most irritating fact? To me, it's his ability to be out-coached by rookie OC's (Singletary, Sparano) and guys who get fired (Crennel, Mangini). How is he still in the league?

What I think most people miss about the Saints game is this:

Jauron wanted the game to be a low scoring, defensive affair with little offense. The man loves low scoring contests where his team keeps the other team down. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out ad infinitum, DJ needs to play bad teams to get this to work. Rarely does he overwhelm AND win games where the other teams are fundamentally solid. NO is a perfect example.

Fans think DJ allows his coordinators to do their thing. I disagree, and believe he directs his principal assistants to game-plan based on strict guidance. This entails an uber-conservative offensive plan combined with a no-frills defensive package. This has been on display more often than not in 51 career games as Bills HC.

Oh, and the most irritating fact? To me, it's his ability to be out-coached by rookie OC's (Singletary, Sparano) and guys who get fired (Crennel, Mangini). How is he still in the league?

Huh? If I told you before the game that the Bills would keep the Saints to 27 points, you would have said the Bills would have had a great chance to win. Defensively, it was the perfect gameplan. And if the offense could score, say, two touchdowns, we probably would have won.

The main problem is that Trent Edwards is a headcase. He's just plain afraid to throw the ball down the field into coverage.

Huh? If I told you before the game that the Bills would keep the Saints to 27 points, you would have said the Bills would have had a great chance to win. Defensively, it was the perfect gameplan. And if the offense could score, say, two touchdowns, we probably would have won.

The main problem is that Trent Edwards is a headcase. He's just plain afraid to throw the ball down the field into coverage.

As long as DJ is the HC, the offense will struggle. He's on his 3rd OC in four seasons with Buffalo and 5th in nine seasons as a HC. I'll grant that Trent is really struggling right now, primarily because he cannot trust himself or his WR's not named Josh Reed. I personally saw Owens and Evans get open consistently from my seat in 123.

The game-plan worked for three quarters, but once again the defense wilted in the fourth quarter when they were on the field far too much. The C2 is beaten when an opponent runs the ball down your throat. And how often have we seen teams do just that to Buffalo? Cleveland and the Giants in 07, and NO on Sunday.

I realize the game plan was to limit the Saints, but NO capitalized and adapted to what DJ wanted to do: they ran the ball effectively and DJ nor Fewell had no answer. On offense, AVP couldn't find a way to neutralize the Saints' pressure. How about some slants or bubble screens.

Out of the three listed, the first one is the only one that I agree with. When you're on the 32, you should be trying to run plays to either get closer, or maybe even score a TD.

As far as McKelvin's fumble, it's April's job to instruct him immediately prior to the play. He should have been instructed to do essentially the same thing that Fred Jackson did on a kickoff return late in the Tampa Bay game. Grab the ball with both hands, and fall to the ground at the first sign of contact. Since McKelvin clearly didn't do that on the play in question, I think it's safe to say that April is the one who dropped the ball (pun intended) on that play.

As far as the punt decision, in spite of all the media and other criticism, I can't say that I disagree with it. Prior to the TD drive, the Bills had held New Orleans to 3 and out on the two previous possessions. The 4th quarter was only half over. The Bills still had all three timeouts. They were on their own 28 yard line. If you go for it and fail, you're essentially handing them the game. When you're behind, you want to extend your chances to catch up for as long as possible. Don't throw all your eggs in one basket unless absolutely necessary. The Bills and Saints had run pretty much the same number of plays in the game up to that point, so other than a knee jerk reaction to the previous scoring drive, there was no specific reason to believe the defense was "worn out" to the point where they couldn't stop them.

well i really dont want to debate the 4th and 1 decision in this thread. i really want to see if anyone else thinks jauron is a heel for hanging these young guys out to dry like this. BUT to your post, jauron should have seen the defense was wearing out after theyd just been scored on. another 3 and out was going to do them, in all likelihood (which it did.)

its like a manager knowing when a pitcher's had a enough and its time to take him out ... thats where the defense was at that time. for all intents and purposes the game ended with that punt. so instead of running a play that statistically gave us a 74% chance of keeping our hopes alive, he calls one that had a much higher chance of ending them. defense played a great game up to that point, and instead ended up looking like more NO road kill.

he sucks as a coach, and worse, as a person -- 2nd point is why i really cannot stand this guy

Continuity!!

You'll see. Dickie just needs 5 more years of continuity, and he will produce that second winning record during a season.

what about letting his guys get beat on the exact same play, two times in a row....both of Watson's touchdowns in this yrs Monday nighter....

or how the Bills didn't play the sidelines in Dallas' comeback win 2 yrs ago on MNF

or

how he alows the turnover prone Losman to roll out on a pass play, while we are nursing a 4th qtr lead against the Jets

or

how we keep drafting DBs when the team has 10 other pressing needs.

I can keep going, but this is starting to depress me

You forgot to mention how he runs out a one legged Mgee last year to cover Ginn in the Miami game when he had a healthy mckelvin sitting on the bench. I do not care if mckelvin knew the defense or not, all you do is tell him his only responsibility in the game is too blanket Ginn. I think even Mckelvin's IQ is high enough to understand that.

He does hang the players out more than he should especially since he doesn't take a chance to win the game.

He doesn't throw the Red Flag.

-Against the Pats Wes Welker clearly did not gain a first down on a come back route on the 1 st of the Pats 2 TD drives. It was 3rd and 7. Welker Ran out 9 yards and ame back 3. They spotted the ball as forward progession when he didnt possess the ball.

No red flag. That would have shut down that drive or atleast forced a 4 and 7.

I DVR-Ed 3 times. And Mike Tirico commented "I guess they gave them the first"

Throw the Red Flag.

Against the Saints everyone saw Josh Reed's knees didn't touch the ground. Where he landed before the inadvertent whistle. was a first down. Drive is alive. its still a 17-7 game at that point. No red Flag.

He even debated with the refs for a minute. Still No Red Flag.

What was the downside for challenging?

Throw the Red Flag!