My View On the Offense (And No Trent is Not the Problem)

StupidNation

In every game we have been terrible in pass protection. We don't pick up blitzes and we don't have the personnel to play a real NFL line. I said so after game one when everyone was gushing about the O-line. We can run block, fine, but we cannot play conventional football with this O-line.

Fine, I get it, but... what we did in game 1 to mask this problem is play screens. Where did they go? When Gregg was blitzing us like crazy here was a perfect opportunity to dictate the terms of the play of the D to containing vs. pinning their ears back. Did AVP go through a mental block or amnesia? We don't have a NFL quality O-line.

Now to the WRs... seriously, is this really a problem? Lee Evans, in both plays they panned out showed him blanketed one-on-one and was not that impressive and really isn't all that impressive when all you just play north and south and hope he gets open with speed. T.O is great at getting open, but he had a few drops and the slant which led to an INT he didn't run very hard on. Maybe he's frustrated, and I understand that. But you cannot play to your WRs unless you have more than 3 seconds to pass.

Oh, and if WRs are an indication of getting open and having good hands lets give Josh Reed an applause for a great game.

Onto the QB. Trent, you need to play more thoughtful. When you are flushed out of the pocket you don't have to check-down to the TE at the line of scrimmage, you can actually throw down-field. It's not a secret. Also, he did play decently but I think the O-line is in his head from bad snaps to collapsing pockets with few blitz pick-ups. He either needs to overcome this or try Fitzpatrick and see if he can operate with little time and pressure. If he can then we have a winner.

I still think the idea of giving up on his development is way too premature and he will be a good Hasselback type QB which will never wow you but will be decent for his position.

I do find the obsession with the QB, as if he snaps the ball, and catches it, funny. Trent played great the first few quarters and yes he looks below-average with pressure and no time. So did Drew Brees, and no I'm not comparing him to Brees, but he did better than Brees with less time and plays in the 1st half. I'm still sold on him for the entire season, but I can never imagine him being a great QB, just a really consistent one who plays "good". Great QBs are rare and he's our best option for this season and definitely not worth replacing with a 1st rounder unless he just goes mental and cannot play at all.

7 points total (ZERO on offense) and your #1 problem is pass D? Agree to disagree.

You didn't read my post then friend. My #1 problem is pass protection. I said pass coverage by accident, and I was referring to the O-line and meant to say pass protection.

I also agree that there is more to the problem, but I put it in proper perspective.

You didn't read my post then friend. My #1 problem is pass protection. I said pass coverage by accident, and I was referring to the O-line and meant to say pass protection.

I also agree that there is more to the problem, but I put it in proper perspective.

who cares? the whole team is a fing mess

You're out of your mind.

i usually agree with your points about everything but i'm tired of the rose colored glasses..i want results and a 27-7 loss is a loss..by 20 points none the less..tell me ONE good thing the offense did today

i usually agree with your points about everything but i'm tired of the rose colored glasses..i want results and a 27-7 loss is a loss..by 20 points none the less..tell me ONE good thing the offense did today

Good routes and hands by Josh Reed; ran the ball well in the 2nd half. 2 things we did well.

Still, we needed to throw some screens to stop the blitz and pressure and then this pathetic O-line could hold up to see if Trent was really the problem as many seem to indicate he was. I don't remember people saying that last week when there was less pressure on him.

Our no-huddle was run the absolute SLOWEST I've seen it all year. And AVP's game plan seems to have been VERY watered down, and I'm just going to say that I don't think that was HIS idea. Dick Jauron's PC kinda proves it, too, when he talks about how he wanted to "keep the game close." After three years of Jauron Ball, we should all know by now that what that means is, "I was scared of a blowout by the other team and did what I could to not lose by 40 points."

Good routes and hands by Josh Reed; ran the ball well in the 2nd half. 2 things we did well.

Still, we needed to throw some screens to stop the blitz and pressure and then this pathetic O-line could hold up to see if Trent was really the problem as many seem to indicate he was. I don't remember people saying that last week when there was less pressure on him.

yea i forgot about how many points we scored because of that thanks

Well don't ask questions if you want to be an idiot when refuted. If you want to act like an emotional woman go right ahead and make no sense as if we don't get enough idiot rants from our wives.

if i'm going to get PM's and get warnings for what i say i sure hope he does too...talk about an emotional rant ok nancy...quite hypocritical

I agree that the OL had a rough day. Also many penalties on 3rd down conversions. What's up with thos bad shotgun snaps?

But, on the 2 wide open bombs to TO, Trent had plenty of time to throw. He just made bad throws pure and simple. Good throws there like last week and who knows?

I feel sorry for our defense. They played well and hard but had no help. Only help they got was from Brian Moorman and Ryan Denney and Bobby April!

My whole point is that you said the whole team is a mess. That is far from the truth. They have played 2 good games and one bad one (though the defense shut down the NFL's top offense).

This team is a lot better than everyone thought during preseason but isn't completely there yet. There's still 13 games left and a lot of time from more improvement.

I agree that the OL had a rough day. Also many penalties on 3rd down conversions. What's up with thos bad shotgun snaps?

But, on the 2 wide open bombs to TO, Trent had plenty of time to throw. He just made bad throws pure and simple. Good throws there like last week and who knows?

I feel sorry for our defense. They played well and hard but had no help. Only help they got was from Brian Moorman and Ryan Denney and Bobby April!

Maybe they can plug those big practice squad acquisitions into the OL and fix everything.