The Gameplan on Trent

JDG

First, lets all remember that this was an NFC game and doesn't damage us that much in terms of our overall season. So let's not press the panic button, at least until we see what happens in Miami next week. 0-2 in the division will be a deep hole for this team, 2-2 overall with a road division win will be right in the thick of it.

Also, huge kudos to Dick Jauron, Perry Fewell, and the defense for holding the Saints to only 10 points in 3+ quarters. This could have been a much different game if that defelection off T.O. hadn't been intercepted in the 3rd quarter, or if Trent had been on-target with either of those deep balls to T.O., particularly thaat second one on 3rd and 3 - just before everything went south in that game.

Finally, another major take-away from this game, is something we also saw back in the New England game - this offensive line is simply unable to maintain protection in pure-passing situations. Its hard to describe just how huge a problem this is. Good teams get the ball down by one score and two minutes left and put together drives to win games. As this offensive line is playing right now, we simply have no chance in those situations.

With all that being said, I was definitely very disappointed in Edwards' decision making today. When Trent gets blitzed he goes straight to the dump-off to the TE or RB. Well, the brilliant part of Gregg Williams' gameplan today was to send Corner Blitzes at Edwards. Not only could our young tackles not make the correct reads and adjustments, but when Trent then immediately goes for the dump-off to the TE or RB, there is still a LB there waiting to make the play. Trent does occasionally read man-coverage before the snap and go to the WR - but I couldn't recall a single instance today where he read man-coverage on the corner blitz and got the ball to the WR.

One of the major problems is that when Trent Edwards does read man-coverage, it seems like his only throw is the rainbow deep-ball down the field. There's very little mid-range game. And Trent doesn't always make the read. On one play in the second half, T.O. got matched up on a linebacker. Trent Edwards never saw it - and we never exploited the mismatch.

The best-case scenario for the Bills has always been making it as a marginal playoff team. Other than that, this season is also primarily about developing our young players, particularly on the o-line and the defense. One thing I'll be watching as the season goes on is whether Trent Edwards can improve his ability to make reads, and in particular, make reads that involve getting the ball to the WR. If not, we'll sadly be back at square one this offseason...

JDG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, lets all remember that this was an NFC game and doesn't damage us that much in terms of our overall season. So let's not press the panic button, at least until we see what happens in Miami next week. 0-2 in the division will be a deep hole for this team, 2-2 overall with a road division win will be right in the thick of it.

Also, huge kudos to Dick Jauron, Perry Fewell, and the defense for holding the Saints to only 10 points in 3+ quarters. This could have been a much different game if that defelection off T.O. hadn't been intercepted in the 3rd quarter, or if Trent had been on-target with either of those deep balls to T.O., particularly thaat second one on 3rd and 3 - just before everything went south in that game.

Finally, another major take-away from this game, is something we also saw back in the New England game - this offensive line is simply unable to maintain protection in pure-passing situations. Its hard to describe just how huge a problem this is. Good teams get the ball down by one score and two minutes left and put together drives to win games. As this offensive line is playing right now, we simply have no chance in those situations.

With all that being said, I was definitely very disappointed in Edwards' decision making today. When Trent gets blitzed he goes straight to the dump-off to the TE or RB. Well, the brilliant part of Gregg Williams' gameplan today was to send Corner Blitzes at Edwards. Not only could our young tackles not make the correct reads and adjustments, but when Trent then immediately goes for the dump-off to the TE or RB, there is still a LB there waiting to make the play. Trent does occasionally read man-coverage before the snap and go to the WR - but I couldn't recall a single instance today where he read man-coverage on the corner blitz and got the ball to the WR.

One of the major problems is that when Trent Edwards does read man-coverage, it seems like his only throw is the rainbow deep-ball down the field. There's very little mid-range game. And Trent doesn't always make the read. On one play in the second half, T.O. got matched up on a linebacker. Trent Edwards never saw it - and we never exploited the mismatch.

The best-case scenario for the Bills has always been making it as a marginal playoff team. Other than that, this season is also primarily about developing our young players, particularly on the o-line and the defense. One thing I'll be watching as the season goes on is whether Trent Edwards can improve his ability to make reads, and in particular, make reads that involve getting the ball to the WR. If not, we'll sadly be back at square one this offseason...

JDG

maybe at some point our crackerjack OC will put in a WR quick slant as a hot read instead of having our decoy WRs run fly patterns all day long.

but hey- why change what has been working so well.

maybe at some point our crackerjack OC will put in a WR quick slant as a hot read instead of having our decoy WRs run fly patterns all day long.

but hey- why change what has been working so well.

I don't have the luxury of going back and looking at tape of the game - but it certainly looked to me like T.O. was running a slant pattern when I noticed that he had a linebacker covering him. I'd have a hard time believing that either factor - the slant route or the LB mismatch - was a one-off occurrence in this game.

JDG

JDG

Excellent post. As an Edwards supporter, I must say that I was quite disheartened by his play. It's not only that he played poorly; for the first time, at the end of the game I had to admit that he was pretty gutless. I mean, Fine is not a good receiver (in fact, he's slow and has marginal hands), yet he received more throws than any other player. Consider that.

Edwards is completely lost at sea without a life jacket. He's had only one HC in his career, and that guy is a loser. That's not to say TE is completely without fault. Today's game shows he doesn't trust his receivers to be where they're supposed to. And the slightest mistake will cause him to retreat into a shell.

DJ's play conservatively has permeated the entire team. Now, all we've got to look forward to is TO blowing up, because DJ ain't going anywhere until at the earliest after the season. It'd be against RW's philosophy.

Guest dog14787

Funny how when the O-line blocks well, TE plays well and when they get blown backward off the line of scrimmage, he plays poorly. :thumbdown:

Our center might as well just roll our QB the F ing ball, how about having a split second to make a decision meanwhile your looking down at your feet to catch the snap, <_<

Funny how when the O-line blocks well, TE plays well and when they get blown backward off the line of scrimmage, he plays poorly. :thumbdown:

Our center might as well just roll our QB the F ing ball, how about having a split second to make a decision meanwhile your looking down at your feet to catch the snap, <_<

yea i'm curious as to how our OL got blown up today against the Saints "****ty" defense when we managed to block that pats* and tampa..is NO's defense that much better?

Excellent post. As an Edwards supporter,

An Edwards supporter? As opposed to what? A Ryan Fitzpatrick supporter? I mean, hasn't the Edwards/Losman debate been pretty much settled at this point?

I must say that I was quite disheartened by his play. It's not only that he played poorly; for the first time, at the end of the game I had to admit that he was pretty gutless. I mean, Fine is not a good receiver (in fact, he's slow and has marginal hands), yet he received more throws than any other player. Consider that.

I think another outstanding case-study is that last touchdown of the 49ers - Vikings game today that is on every single highlight clip. Honestly, can any of us ever imagine Edwards making that throw? O.k. a comparison to a sure-fire Hall-of-Famer is a bit unfair.... Edwards can be a solid QB for a decade for us without being a Hall of Famer. With that being said, the Vikings were in pure desperation mode - one last chance to score a TD... or lose. And Favre just rifled the ball into a well-covered WR. One of the things I just have not seen from Edwards is an ability to start gunning the ball into a WR in desperation time - when sure, it might be picked off, but hey if the catch isn't made you are going to lose anyways.

JDG

yea i'm curious as to how our OL got blown up today against the Saints "****ty" defense when we managed to block that pats* and tampa..is NO's defense that much better?

Well, Tampa is clearly dreadful - they'd be really good at the NCAA level - and the Pats had no film to work with. After a couple of games, teams had a lot to work with. Van Pelt was very clearly outmatched today, and let's remember that NO's d-linemen are physical specimens. We're talking about a lot of very high draft picks. Playing against a wounded center and a couple of terrible offensive tackles, they're going to make some plays.

Guest dog14787

The Saints have the best defense we faced so far in the regular season in my opinion, very well coached.

Well, the Pats had just lost Richard Seymour, and had Jerod Mayo get hurt. And let's not forget that after getting the ball with 50 seconds left and needing just a field goal to win, the oline couldn't even slow down the Patriots, and instead of pulling a classic drive to a FG to exorcise our Patriots demons, we just went down for the count in a flurry of sacks.

Edwards had decent time to throw today when we are able to run our standard offense - similar to the Pats game - but it certainly looked like history repeating itself once we switched into desperation mode....

JDG

your first sentence just made your whole post a joke