Well you cannot put this on the defense!

sfladave

I think the defense did a great job today against a very good Saints offense. Outside of the 1st drive we did a great job of making adjustments and keeping their offense in check.

However our offense fell back to the same pattern of not being able to close drives that we saw in the preseason.

The Bill's offense lost this very winnable game.

Its just not good enough to keep playing well for most of the game in these type of games and continuously come up short. At some point this team needs to start winning these type of games---especially at home. They had New Orleans right where they wanted them and they had two big chances to either tie the game or take the lead. First, Edwards forced a slant to Owens that of course went straight up in the air right to a Saint player at the Saint 25 yard line. Then he misses TO after he was wide open, and would have been 6 points, which would have given us the lead.

Same old same old...D keeps us in the game for a long time, offense doesn't do its part, and then the D fails late in the game after being hung out to dry by the offense all game...

That is a fact, the defense played thier asses off, until late in the 4th quarter when they were spent from being on the field all day. The offense for the most part was very disappointing today.

Our D did an incredible job. And if our O had sustained longer drives, NO would have had less time to score points. Prolly less points scored by them. Our O was just very very disappointing today.

I think the defense did a great job today against a very good Saints offense. Outside of the 1st drive we did a great job of making adjustments and keeping their offense in check.

However our offense fell back to the same pattern of not being able to close drives that we saw in the preseason.

The Bill's offense lost this very winnable game.

Getting beat by 20 points doesn't strike me as keeping anybody's offense in check...

did you watch the game?

No.

Reading the game posts here, then looking at the post-game stats is illustrative enough.

I cling to expectations that a defense can upon occasion take charge of a game, change that momentum the tv folks like to talk about, and perhaps get a salutary turnover. Make that stop, get that punt. Did the D ever enforce their will onto NO?

Dice it up as you will, and blame the offense for the def being winded. However, the DC needs to understand how to wheel his bench in and out through a game so starters aren't stepping in their tongues...:wallbash:

No

Reading the game posts here, then looking at the post-game statewas illustrative.

I cling to expectations that a defense can upon occasion take charge of a game, change that momentum the tv folks like to talk about, and perhaps get a salutary turnover. Make that stop, get that punt.

Dice it up as you will, and blame the offense for the def being winded. Perhaps the DC needs earn how to wheel his bench in and out through a game so they aren't stepping in their tongues...:wallbash:

Our defense did plenty of that yesterday. Schobel even got a meaningful sack and forced fumble when the Saints were in FG range and driving for more in the first half. Kelsay was all over the place and actually sacked the QB rather than just shaking his hand. For the majority of the game the defense did do their job. During the first drive I was screaming for them to get off the field on 3rd down. By the end of the second quarter, I couldn't even be mad about that.. because they were.

I'm not sure they were tired as much as they just gave up. Honestly, when Jauron called for the punt you could just feel the air suck out of the game. The boo's really picked up and the entire team completely slipped off the cliff.

Even the offense, which was bad, had moved the ball a little. But, at that point, you could see them all just fold. It was almost like the players just all agreed.. ok, lets get outta here I got movie to watch tonight.

Getting beat by 20 points doesn't strike me as keeping anybody's offense in check...

This makes him unlike some in the press who just read stats to determine what happened. Once again Bills defense was on fumes due to injuries and fatigue from offense not doing their job and special teams alternating from great to absolutely disappointing.

Our defense did plenty of that yesterday. Schobel even got a meaningful sack and forced fumble when the Saints were in FG range and driving for more in the first half. Kelsay was all over the place and actually sacked the QB rather than just shaking his hand. For the majority of the game the defense did do their job. During the first drive I was screaming for them to get off the field on 3rd down. By the end of the second quarter, I couldn't even be mad about that.. because they were.

I'm not sure they were tired as much as they just gave up. Honestly, when Jauron called for the punt you could just feel the air suck out of the game. The boo's really picked up and the entire team completely slipped off the cliff.

Even the offense, which was bad, had moved the ball a little. But, at that point, you could see them all just fold. It was almost like the players just all agreed.. ok, lets get outta here I got movie to watch tonight.

:wallbash:

The boo birds are often a mindless mob. They were booing because McKelvin was not on kick return team during home opener last week without knowing that McKelvin had injured his ankle. They will often boo on penalties when referees have made the correct call as clearly shown on screen and coach does not throw flag wastefully. The same mentality does the wave when on offense and sometimes have made so much noise that our offense has had to ask crowd to quiet down. The masses can not be used as a meaningful judge.

The boo birds are often a mindless mob. They were booing because McKelvin was not on kick return team during home opener last week without knowing that McKelvin had injured his ankle. They will often boo on penalties when referees have made the correct call as clearly shown on screen and coach does not throw flag wastefully. The same mentality does the wave when on offense and sometimes have made so much noise that our offense has had to ask crowd to quiet down. The masses can not be used as a meaningful judge.

Point taken. That was a rather low point in the game by all other accounts as well. But, yeah the boo birds were out quite a bit on other plays as well. So probably not a good example to use for my argument.

I'll still contend that the team gave up after that, though. :wallbash:

That is a fact, the defense played thier asses off, until late in the 4th quarter when they were spent from being on the field all day. The offense for the most part was very disappointing today.

The surprising thing is how the Bills D shut down the Saints passing attack. But the Saints just kept pounding and when Pierre Thomas got cranked up it was Goodnight Irene.

Buffalo's QB led offense didn't score a single point. Without the Moorman trickery, it may very well have been a scoreless day for the Bills. NO only had the ball about 7 minutes longer than Buffalo, but it sure seemed a lot longer than 7 minutes. As is all too typical, the defense looked gassed by mid 4th quarter and when the opponent found something that worked (in this case Pierre), Fewell had no answer.

And 12 penalties for 116 yards? Undisciplined and inexcusable.

TO is sulking already and my guess is that after having his streak broken (and his post game funeral dirge), he'll just go through the motions, stay healthy, take his money and maybe try one more year with another team.

I read somewhere that in 3 seasons with the Bills, Jauron has only won 2 games against teams with winning records. So far, that record is still safe.

Point taken. That was a rather low point in the game by all other accounts as well. But, yeah the boo birds were out quite a bit on other plays as well. So probably not a good example to use for my argument.

I'll still contend that the team gave up after that, though. :wallbash:

I wouldn't go as far as saying they gave up, but they definitely lost hope. We went downhill pretty dramatically after that. Also we lost Whitner & McAnkle (but he wasn't a big loss as Drayton played well)

Even so, it was a good game to watch. I really enjoyed the D stepping up. I haven't seen them that good in a long time. I like Trent but I'm starting to lose a little faith because he refuses to throw to his outside receivers. It's all slot, slot slot or backfield. Capt Checkdown really seems an appropriate nickname.

CINCY: It wasn't so bad to watch if you like defensive football. We took some punches early but really came back swinging. The game was there for us to take. We didn't take it.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they gave up, but they definitely lost hope. We went downhill pretty dramatically after that. Also we lost Whitner & McAnkle (but he wasn't a big loss as Drayton played well)

Even so, it was a good game to watch. I really enjoyed the D stepping up. I haven't seen them that good in a long time. I like Trent but I'm starting to lose a little faith because he refuses to throw to his outside receivers. It's all slot, slot slot or backfield. Capt Checkdown really seems an appropriate nickname.

CINCY: It wasn't so bad to watch if you like defensive football. We took some punches early but really came back swinging. The game was there for us to take. We didn't take it.

That's an interesting point I haven't thought about. I don't recall when Whitner got injured? Does that coincide with Pierre Thomas' running gains? It wouldn't be the first time that a safety got injured and a team's run defense suffered dramatically.

Maybe we should line TO and Evans up in the slot? Put Fine and Jackson as wideouts and see what happens. It would be an interesting exercise to say the least. Would Trent go into spasms in this bizarro world of throwing to WRs or would he search the field in vain looking for Fine while TO and Evans have a meeting in the middle of the field and talk about the latest designer invisibility cloak fashions?

Fire Jauron and put Trent on the bench where he belongs....next year. Our only chance of turning this organization around is if the owner anties up the chips to buy a great coach, drafts the best QB available along with a left tackle. Exactly what the Jets did, it's working for them. They have 5 1st round picks on their o-line, agressive coach used to winning and a top 5 pick QB.

Ralph....pick your --nads off the floor and reach into your wallet on the way up, get us Shanahan, Gruden, Cowher, Billick, Holmgren or even Shottenheimer. Get us a top ten QB in the draft and then take the best tackle available.

I've been bleeding red and blue for over 30 years..played at Rich stadium in h.s. and destoyed several tv's every time we choke.

Get serious or I'm done....sick and tired of the old man's money grab. Sell the team to Jim Kellys group now you old prick.