Preston Ridlehuber?? Bubba Thornton??

merlin

I was home visiting the folks in Buffalo (Clarence) this past week, and was digging through some of my old stuff still stored there, and came across a football I had taken to several Bills games back in the late 1960's as a kid at the "Old Rockpile". I had gotten quite a few Bills players to sign it (usually just before/right after warmups, you could get some of them to come over close enough to the stands to sign stuff). This must have been 1968 or 1969. Some of the names I recognize include Dan Darragh, Bob Tatarek, Stew Barber, George Saimes, Paul Costa, Bill Enyart, James Harris, Bruce Alford, Billy Masters, Butch Byrd, and Max Anderson. But there is also a name that looks something like "Preston Ridlehuber". Anyone remember this guy? What position did he play? Another name on there I don't recognize is Bubba Thornton?

Looking at this ball brought back lots of great memories of spending Sunday afternoons at the games with my Dad, my uncle, and some of my cousins. Don't think the Bills were a very good team that year ... think it was OJ's first season. But as I remember, they did beat both the Dolphins and the Patriots at home that year!

GO BILLS!

If my memory isn't too far gone, Preston Ridlehuber was an RB who didn't get much playing time, but the fans always were calling for him to play, probably because of his "funny" name. Also, it was funny for us back in those days that we would cat-call for back-up players because the team was so bad.

Bubba Thornton was a WR, and I always thought he was a guy with a lot of upside. I think he was #89. He ran a kickoff back for a TD in one game, but once again the team was so bad he never really got to show what he had.

For all those fans who think it is rough being a Bills fan now, I wish they lived through those days. Today, us old timers appreciate that we aren't nearly as horrible a team as we were for so many years back then. We were just flat out bad no matter how you sized it up. It is funny how the cry was "Wilson is cheap" back then, too. Then he wasn't, then he was, then he wasn't and now he is yet again.

Anyhow, I hope this helps you.

I was home visiting the folks in Buffalo (Clarence) this past week, and was digging through some of my old stuff still stored there, and came across a football I had taken to several Bills games back in the late 1960's as a kid at the "Old Rockpile". I had gotten quite a few Bills players to sign it (usually just before/right after warmups, you could get some of them to come over close enough to the stands to sign stuff). This must have been 1968 or 1969. Some of the names I recognize include Dan Darragh, Bob Tatarek, Stew Barber, George Saimes, Paul Costa, Bill Enyart, James Harris, Bruce Alford, Billy Masters, Butch Byrd, and Max Anderson. But there is also a name that looks something like "Preston Ridlehuber". Anyone remember this guy? What position did he play? Another name on there I don't recognize is Bubba Thornton?

Looking at this ball brought back lots of great memories of spending Sunday afternoons at the games with my Dad, my uncle, and some of my cousins. Don't think the Bills were a very good team that year ... think it was OJ's first season. But as I remember, they did beat both the Dolphins and the Patriots at home that year!

GO BILLS!

The heck with the Heidi game. On October 11, 1969. The Bills and the Patriots were tied 16- 16 with 5 minutes left. Wayne Patrick and Mini Max Anderson were carrying the running load for an injured O J Simpson. Into the game at halfback comes Preston Ridlehuber. Quarterback James Harris in for ineffective Jack Kemp hands the ball to Preston for a sweep left. But Preston pulls up and throws a 45 yard TD pass to Haven Moses and the Bills win. This was the only game that Preston gained any yardage for the Bills.

By the way the next week the Bills went to Oakland and Lamonica threw 6 TD passes. IN THE FIRST HALF. The John Madden coached Raiders beat the Johnny Rauch (ex Oakland coach) Bills 50-21. One of the TD's came off a Bubba Thorton fumble on a kickoff return.

GO BILLS!

QB--I remember that one sunday where he won a game for us with a couple TD passes I think.

The heck with the Heidi game. On October 11, 1969. The Bills and the Patriots were tied 16- 16 with 5 minutes left. Wayne Patrick and Mini Max Anderson were carrying the running load for an injured O J Simpson. Into the game at halfback comes Preston Ridlehuber. Quarterback James Harris in for ineffective Jack Kemp hands the ball to Preston for a sweep left. But Preston pulls up and throws a 45 yard TD pass to Haven Moses and the Bills win. This was the only game that Preston gained any yardage for the Bills.

By the way the next week the Bills went to Oakland and Lamonica threw 6 TD passes. IN THE FIRST HALF. The John Madden coached Raiders beat the Johnny Rauch (ex Oakland coach) Bills 50-21. One of the TD's came off a Bubba Thorton fumble on a kickoff return.

ohh...he wasnt a QB?? hehe--I do remember that pass though

If my memory isn't too far gone, Preston Ridlehuber was an RB who didn't get much playing time, but the fans always were calling for him to play, probably because of his "funny" name. Also, it was funny for us back in those days that we would cat-call for back-up players because the team was so bad.

Bubba Thornton was a WR, and I always thought he was a guy with a lot of upside. I think he was #89. He ran a kickoff back for a TD in one game, but once again the team was so bad he never really got to show what he had.

For all those fans who think it is rough being a Bills fan now, I wish they lived through those days. Today, us old timers appreciate that we aren't nearly as horrible a team as we were for so many years back then. We were just flat out bad no matter how you sized it up. It is funny how the cry was "Wilson is cheap" back then, too. Then he wasn't, then he was, then he wasn't and now he is yet again.

Anyhow, I hope this helps you.

Yoho, you rule!

I chose not to click on Beerball's link, opting instead to go by memory <usually fatal> but you nailed it! He was -as I remember- a rookie as well, in the '69 season when we started an entire rookie backfield in the opener. I do recall vividly, he wore number 34 and his name -for some never revealed reason- wasn't on his back. It might have been a pic from the Courier Express, but something rings a bell. I too, thought he had great upside, but I did with every Buffalo Bill -especially with OJ coming to town.

As for Ridlehuber, he was legendary from 'Heidi' before he got here and anybody whose name was 'known' was welcomed here -to save our Bills! -sound familiar??

Buffalo channel 2 carried all the missed action from the Raider comeback v. the Jets the next night in a nationwide 'apology' to AFL/pro fans. IMO, the bigger fallout from that <non>event was the recognition of how pro football had surpassed MLB in popularity and $$value, and it hasn't looked back since. JMO.

Yoho, you rule!

I chose not to click on Beerball's link, opting instead to go by memory <usually fatal> but you nailed it! He was -as I remember- a rookie as well, in the '69 season when we started an entire rookie backfield in the opener. I do recall vividly, he wore number 34 and his name -for some never revealed reason- wasn't on his back. It might have been a pic from the Courier Express, but something rings a bell. I too, thought he had great upside, but I did with every Buffalo Bill -especially with OJ coming to town.

As for Ridlehuber, he was legendary from 'Heidi' before he got here and anybody whose name was 'known' was welcomed here -to save our Bills! -sound familiar??

Buffalo channel 2 carried all the missed action from the Raider comeback v. the Jets the next night in a nationwide 'apology' to AFL/pro fans. IMO, the bigger fallout from that <non>event was the recognition of how pro football had surpassed MLB in popularity and $$value, and it hasn't looked back since. JMO.

You see Wilson was even cheap back then. He would not put more than 9 letter names on a players back to save the money. Lucky thing for Monty Ledbetter.

Yoho, you rule!

Your synapsis were close. In 1969, #34 was worn by none other than WR Bubba Thorton (explain that one). Preston wore #31

Mike Schopp uses the Ridlehuber handle on this very board.

You are joking right?

Your synapsis were close. In 1969, #34 was worn by none other than WR Bubba Thorton (explain that one). Preston wore #31

There's more significant stuff regarding Preston Ridlehuber. From Wikipedia:

"Since the earliest days of the team (Buffalo Bills), the number 31 was not supposed to be issued to any player. The Bills had stationery and various other team merchandise showing a running player wearing that number, and it was not supposed to represent any specific person, but the 'spirit of the team.' The tradition was broken in 1969 when reserve running back Preston Ridlehuber was issued number 31 for one game while his normal number 36 jersey was repaired by equipment manager Tony Marchitte. The number 31 was not issued again until 1990 when first round draft choice James (J.D.) Williams wore it for his first two seasons. The number has since been released for use by any player and is currently being worn by rookie safety Jarius Byrd."

My personal Preston Ridlehuber story goes back to the mid 80s. It was a game during the Kay Stephenson era, just before he was fired. We were losing to someone (Vikings maybe) and Bills fans were a morose, cynical and unhappy group.

One fan in the upper deck fabricated a replica "Wall of Fame" plaque out of posterboard and styrofoam that had: Preston Ridlehuber 31 on it. I think it was very close to or right next to O.J. Simpson's Wall of Fame plaque. Probably the funniest sign I've seen at a Bills game.

You are joking right?

There's more significant stuff regarding Preston Ridlehuber. From Wikipedia:

"Since the earliest days of the team (Buffalo Bills), the number 31 was not supposed to be issued to any player. The Bills had stationery and various other team merchandise showing a running player wearing that number, and it was not supposed to represent any specific person, but the 'spirit of the team.' The tradition was broken in 1969 when reserve running back Preston Ridlehuber was issued number 31 for one game while his normal number 36 jersey was repaired by equipment manager Tony Marchitte. The number 31 was not issued again until 1990 when first round draft choice James (J.D.) Williams wore it for his first two seasons. The number has since been released for use by any player and is currently being worn by rookie safety Jarius Byrd."

My personal Preston Ridlehuber story goes back to the mid 80s. It was a game during the Kay Stephenson era, just before he was fired. We were losing to someone (Vikings maybe) and Bills fans were a morose, cynical and unhappy group.

One fan in the upper deck fabricated a replica "Wall of Fame" plaque out of posterboard and styrofoam that had: Preston Ridlehuber 31 on it. I think it was very close to or right next to O.J. Simpson's Wall of Fame plaque. Probably the funniest sign I've seen at a Bills game.

While the kids on this board worry about Madden ratings, us oldtimers can indulge ourselves in some really archaic Bills trivia. Thanks. I had forgotten about #31 but if you look at early Bills promotional materials, you will usually see that number.