Bills Sign New OL Andre Ramsay

Thurman#1

Couldn't be because he's physically dominant, now, could it? Or extremely smart and a terrific leader? Very experienced? Any of that ringing any bells?

Yeah, there are questions about how well he'd hold up in the no-huddle, but so far we haven't run all that many plays all that fast, let's face it.

He's so awesome no one has signed him yet.

PTR

...McKelvin...Steve Johnson, Demetrius Bell, Derek Fine...Chris Ellis....Omon...Reggie Corner...Maybin...Woods and Levitre.... Shawn Nelson....Nic Harris and Lankster...

No argument that those kids are all great draft picks and/or free agents and every one should make a fine NFL player to an All Pro NFL player, depending on how each one comes along. Now, throw in this other kid Scott, our new RT, and Buggs, our new MLB, and the Buffalo Bills have to be one of the youngest least experienced teams in the entire NFL. Excuse me for being a little frustrated that Russ's team doesn't have a few more experienced players.

Still don't get the obsession with Runyan. He is coming off major knee surgery and no one is in a hurry to sign.

Exactly - plus you have to figure he is not in "football" shape so you are a good 4 weeks off from him being fully contributing if he is healthy enough to play at a high level. Given that no team has broken down his door he may just not be a NFL ready player any more.

No argument that those kids are all great draft picks and/or free agents and every one should make a fine NFL player to an All Pro NFL player, depending on how each one comes along. Now, throw in this other kid Scott, our new RT, and Buggs, our new MLB, and the Buffalo Bills have to be one of the youngest least experienced teams in the entire NFL. Excuse me for being a little frustrated that Russ's team doesn't have a few more experienced players.

All this talk about "experience." What, pray tell, does experience without talent bring?

All this talk about "experience." What, pray tell, does experience without talent bring?

A lousy experienced offensive line, much like the Bills had from 2000 thru 2007. Good point. :rolleyes:

However, looking at how amazingly well the Bills kids have started off on the OL, I think the AFC East might now potentially have 4 of the best OL's collectively in the NFL. But the other three teams seem to think experience is more important along the OL, and the numbers prove it:

AFC East Starting Offensive Lines' Average Years of NFL Experience Coming Into 2009:

Jets: 6.6

Pats: 5.8

Dolphins: 3.4

Bills: 1.6

So my point is, what does experience plus talent bring? We'll have a much clearer answer in about 15 weeks from now. won't we?

But the other three teams seem to think experience is more important along the OL, and the numbers prove it:

Not necessarily. If you have good young players and they develop into good experienced players there is no way you are going to take the risk of replacing them with potentially good young players if you do not need to. We had a pretty bare cupboard going into the draft, not many good, experienced OL were available in FA and decided to use the draft to improve.

Once you are set along the OL you try to keep the unit intact and it will gain experience along the way. It would be NICE to have talent and experience (prefably with players in their prime). But it looks as though it is not considered an option available to the Bills (from the FO point of view) as the experienced vets out there are either not that talented or old and banged up. I am sure the FO would love to have a bunch of five year vets with great skills manning the OL but we will have to wait for this to happen as our current OL continues to develop.

Right! The Bills are holding their own September '09 re-draft. There doesn't seem to be any end in sight for practice squad or free agent rookie signings from the "war room" at One Billls Drive. Experienced NFL football players? "We don't need no stinkin experienced NFL football players!" must be the new mantra from the inner circle. It's like they are saying, "Hey, look how little we have to pay undrafted and late round rookies that are on other practice squads or have been cut. We can really stock up on these kids!" :lol::doh:

Go Bills!... in 2012 when the kids all grow up!

But hey, why worry? Nobody else will get injured this season, right? It's not like the Bills are going to end up with 15 or more guys on season ending IR or anything crazy like that. I mean that hasn't happened in Buffalo for what...2 years now?? These rookies will never be forced into action, right Russ??? :rolleyes:

Did you get your Patriots jersey ahhh I mean Jets jersey in the mail yet?

You're right, we should sign Levi Jones or Runyan before all the other teams that are clamoring for him do. They are such a great secret, that no one even knows that they should sign them to a contract, because you know, "experienced", "over the hill", bumkneed players is what every good team needs.

Ya that Russ Brandon has no idea what he is doing, nevermind that he picked up Stroud via trade last year, and ya, he hasn't helped this team clog up the run. Forget about the T.O signing, the dynamics of our offense hasn't changed at all, the reason why we have had 7 man fronts against the run has nothing to do with him. Or that silly signing of Kawika Mitchell, that guy doesn't make any plays for us on defense, EVER. Also that resigning of Mcgee was a terrible move and what was even worse than that one was how badly we got ripped off on that Fred Jackson signing. Last years draft was an absymal one, McKelvin has got no future, either does Steve Johnson, Demetrius Bell, Derek Fine and Chris Ellis. That guy Omon, nevermind the fact that he beat out Rhodes, that wasn't a shocker at all. And that guy Reggie Corner, I mean, talk about world class bum!

Signing Buddy Nix was another bonehead decision, what an idiot.

The Hangartner signing was a terrible one, I mean who care's that he has been the only center we have had over the last few years that can help contain Wilfork.

We should of kept those interior studs Preston, or what about that great gaurd we had in Dockery, or that harmonious locker room character Peters, and Walker, geez, How could we of cut that 370 lb blob of muscle?

Maybin, he looks like he doesn't have what it takes to be a good edge rusher. Woods and Levitre are bound to be busts. We picked Shawn Nelson way too early, you can see right now that he won't ever amount to anything. Nic Harris and Lankster look as if they won't be on the team beyond this year.

Yup that Russ Brandon, all he knows is marketing.

God, finally someone who gets it. I think Brandon is doing a hell of a job so far for the very reasons you present. There are too many people here who are stuck on the fact that Brandon was elevated from marketing and therefore cannot ever be a great GM. Look at his track record so far. (As you pointed out above) The trade for Stroud is looking better and better. The trade of Peters gave the Bills Wood and Nelson. Wood is perfect for a team that needs nastiness. Nelson looks like a great receiver right now and with some time might be a very good blocker.

All of the guys you mention from the draft are great choices. (My opinion of Ellis differs though) It's funny how many people here say that the reasons for these great moves and draft are due to this guy or that guy and refuse to give Brandon credit. :rolleyes:

The Bills should have beaten the Pets* and they beat TB. This week will go a long way in determining the state of the team.

Link

Packers lead the NFC and are a close second in the NFL in fewest average years of experience (3.81). The Cincinnati Bengals, Sunday's opponent, have the least amount of experience in the league at 3.77.

NFL average is 4.48.

Thompson said he doesn't have an aversion to players once they get to a certain age.

"It doesn't make any difference to me," Thompson said. "We're going to have a group of young players every year because we believe strongly in the draft and how that builds up the core of your team. But if a guy can play, it doesn't matter to me how old he is."

Link

From our buddy Tim Graham;

Buffalo Bills

Height: 6-foot-1 1/2; weight: 240.8 pounds; age: 26.4 years; experience: 4.0 seasons.

It seems that you're saying youth is worse than age. Young players get better. Old players get older. I think the mix of talent and age is spread out pretty well:

The CB's have McGee and Florence who both have 7 years. (2)

The DE's have Schobel with 9 years, Denney with 8 and Chris Kelsay with 7. (3)

The DT's have Stroud with 9 years and Johnson with 6. (2)

Rian Lindell has 10 years. (1)

Brian Moorman has 9. (1)

The LB's have Kawika Mitchell with 7 years. (1)

The OL has Seth McInney with 8 years and Chambers with 5. (They also had Butler before he got hurt.) Even though they are young this is the best line the Bills have had since the early nineties, IMO, and they will only get better and they will be around for a long time. (3 counting Butler)

The QB with the longest tenure is Fitzpatrick with 4 years. TE, who has three years, is getting better and I want a QB who is young and becoming a very solid starter. TE should be around for 10 years. (0)

RB's have Omon with 2 years, FJ with 3 years, ML with 3 years and the fullback Corey McIntyre has 5 years of experience. (1) Who cares about the age of this unit. Jackson and ML are two of the best RB's in the league. Having youth at this position is better than age IMO.

The Safety position has Bryan Scott with 7 years. (1)

The TE with longest tenure is Derek Fine with 2 years. However, Stupar, Fine and Nelson look very good without much experience.

The WR's have TO with 14 years, LE with 6, Roscoe Parrish with 5 and Josh Reed with 8. (4)

IMO, the mix of age and experience is pretty well sprinkled across the different positions. The youngest positions, OL, TE, S, LB and RB aren't positions that need great improvement. (LB is questionable) So youth and experience together is the optimal mix of talent, IMO.

Scott is young, but he has seen action in 22 NFL games (according to WGR this morning), also we have a veteran in Hangartner and a couple of very eager-to-knock-some-heads rookies that seem like they don't really need an inspirational leader as much as they just need someone to point them in the right direction so they can go kick butt.

So true. After signing Dockery, Walker, Fowler and the like I'm not that excited about signing any more "veteran" lineman to help the young guys. Dockery's salary helped JP to holdout and basically force a trade. Thirty one other teams have passed on Runyan and Levi Jones. And some of them have very respected personnel departments. For once, let us trust the FO on this one.

Did you get your Patriots jersey ahhh I mean Jets jersey in the mail yet?

What?? :lol:

If I was a Jets or Pats fan, I wouldn't be bashing Russ and his inner circle - I would be thanking them! :wallbash:

But seriously folks, I'll just shut up about the huge lack of experience all over the Bills' roster, and do the same thing I've done for 40 years and counting, hope the Bills make the playoffs this season! :lol: