We Can Talk About Running As Much As We Want....

Bill from NYC

NE has GREAT DTs and they are deep. I am elated by the job that Tucker did last week, but will he be able to hold his own with Seymour? How does Teague match up against Wilfork?

When oddsmakers create pointspreads, the two most important positions in terms of injuries are qb and cb. This is a fact. The Bills MUST be able to exploit the fact that 2 very good cbs are out of action. Now that Henry is off of the field, Willis can and will help to hold off the NE pass rush. I would also love to see him catch a few.

This post is not a call to abandon the run. I just think that if we cannot exploit their weakness, we will lose. Perhaps the substitute corners will need help from the safeties. What better time to hit Euhus with a few mid range passes?

Imo, it is also key for Gray to come up with a way to stop that short drop-off pass that Brady thrives on. We blitz a lot. Perhaps we can lay back just a tad and hope for pressure from our front 4.

Anyway, we can win this game, and I am just thinking out loud. Thanks for the indulgence. :)

Guest Guest_HArdy Pyle_*

I agree we need to burn their corners so that Bellichek will need to protect their corners, take men out of the box and then we have fun running it.

Lets see if Bledsoe can do it.

If this game is put in Bledsoes hands...We lose. End of discussion

116273[/snapback]

Bledsoe's hands? The defense might have a say in this football game as well, dont ya think?

ICE, when a team is down 2 corners, you throw. It is just that simple. Who will come in if another of their corners gets hurt, which is always a distinct possibility in any football game? The 4th and 5th string? Do you see my point?

Yes, Drew needs to step up, and the OL needs to give him time.

The OL HAS given him time all year. he still throws crap. He is slow mentally, and is done as a QB. We put it in his hands, we lose. Care to bet on it? I am 100% willing to take a bet that if we are forced to throw the ball...we lose.

Bill, we seem to be agreeing more often than not lately.......must be the meds? :)

Your point is very valid.....we need Willis to continue to pound the ball and get those tough yards, but Bledsoe - even though we don't need to put the game in his hands alone - has GOT to be able to play mistake free and to take advantage of his opportunities. He's got to make good decisions and do positive things with the football. He's got to be able to find the LEEthal weapon in addition to his security blanket, Moulds.

Bledsoe doesn't need to take the team on his shoulders the whole game, but he will need to do his part for us to win.

I was thinking along similar lines. I still think we need to run more than pass, but we still need to exploit those injuries.

I think this game we need to stay away from 2 TE sets and I form. They should come out almost every play in 3 WR sets. Get that Nickel defense on the field and take away one of those LB's. Draws and screens should work well if they can execute.

Any time they let NE play the run, they are playing into their hands. 3 and 4 WR sets is the way to go.

Bill, we seem to be agreeing more often than not lately.......must be the meds?  :)

Your point is very valid.....we need Willis to continue to pound the ball and get those tough yards, but Bledsoe - even though we don't need to put the game in his hands alone - has GOT to be able to play mistake free and to take advantage of his opportunities. He's got to make good decisions and do positive things with the football. He's got to be able to find the LEEthal weapon in addition to his security blanket, Moulds.

Bledsoe doesn't need to take the team on his shoulders the whole game, but he will need to do his part for us to win.

116300[/snapback]

Whose meds? :)

I agree with you 100%, and would like to throw in some screens to MaGahee and even Shelton. The Bills must do something to neutralize those monster DTs.

NE has GREAT DTs and they are deep. I am elated by the job that Tucker did last week, but will he be able to hold his own with Seymour? How does Teague match up against Wilfork?

When oddsmakers create pointspreads, the two most important positions in terms of injuries are qb and cb. This is a fact. The Bills MUST be able to exploit the fact that 2 very good cbs are out of action. Now that Henry is off of the field, Willis can and will help to hold off the NE pass rush. I would also love to see him catch a few.

This post is not a call to abandon the run. I just think that if we cannot exploit their weakness, we will lose. Perhaps the substitute corners will need help from the safeties. What better time to hit Euhus with a few mid range passes?

Imo, it is also key for Gray to come up with a way to stop that short drop-off pass that Brady thrives on. We blitz a lot. Perhaps we can lay back just a tad and hope for pressure from our front 4.

Anyway, we can win this game, and I am just thinking out loud. Thanks for the indulgence.  :)

116271[/snapback]

Ironically enough, I read the same thing on a Rams message board last week :)

IMO, run, run, and then run some more against NE. That type of gameplan worked out better for the Steelers than the gameplan to take advantage of the Pats' banged-up secondary did for the Rams.

Ironically enough, I read the same thing on a Rams message board last week  :) 

IMO, run, run, and then run some more against NE.  That type of gameplan worked out better for the Steelers than the gameplan to take advantage of the Pats' banged-up secondary did for the Rams.

116324[/snapback]

The good thing for the Bills is they have 2 examples of how to play the Pats the last 2 weeks. One worked (run first, pass second), one didn't (pass first, run second). I think the Bills' coaching staff is smart enough to see which is the RIGHT way to play. Oh and I'm glad the Pats pulled out that Vinatieri fake FG thing last week.

The good thing for the Bills is they have 2 examples of how to play the Pats the last 2 weeks.  One worked (run first, pass second), one didn't (pass first, run second).  I think the Bills' coaching staff is smart enough to see which is the RIGHT way to play.  Oh and I'm glad the Pats pulled out that Vinatieri fake FG thing last week.

116335[/snapback]

You make running on NE sound pretty easy. The Bills and the steelers have different records, you know?

I think that we may have to get a little flashy tonight, although I NEVER want to abandon the run if a game is within reach.

That said, I hope that you are right. I hope we can ram it down their throats, but if we could, the standings might look a little different.

Anyway, we can win this game, and I am just thinking out loud. Thanks for the indulgence.  :)

116271[/snapback]

sorry but the stats dont back you. The pats are about 15th against the run maybe lower. I agree that they have highly thought of young d-lineman but the stats dont back you.

Ironically enough, I read the same thing on a Rams message board last week  :) 

IMO, run, run, and then run some more against NE.  That type of gameplan worked out better for the Steelers than the gameplan to take advantage of the Pats' banged-up secondary did for the Rams.

116324[/snapback]

It must be a Scot thing Campy. We can see the OBVIOUS in front of us. Rams passed and lost. Steelers Ran and won. Hummmm... :)

You make running on NE sound pretty easy. The Bills and the steelers have different records, you know?

I think that we may have to get a little flashy tonight, although I NEVER want to abandon the run if a game is within reach.

That said, I hope that you are right. I hope we can ram it down their throats, but if we could, the standings might look a little different.

116344[/snapback]

The Pats are 17th in the NFL in yards per rush allowed. Whether you want to call them "easy" to run on is a matter of choice, but they CAN be run on. As for the Bills' record versus the Steelers, the Bills lost some close games early-on where just a bounce or two of the ball could have led to several more wins. Such is life. However most people can see that the Bills are a different team, now that they're starting to get healthy and have new starters at certain positions.

It must be a Scot thing Campy. We can see the OBVIOUS in front of us.  Rams passed and lost. Steelers Ran and won.  Hummmm... :)

116351[/snapback]

That may be a good gameplan...I'm not arguing that.

But, are actually comparing the Steelers and the Rams?

Good God!

As far as I can recall, every team that has beaten the Pats over the past 3years has beaten them with a smash-mouth, beyond stubborn, running approach. It usually takes until some point in the 4th quarter til you really begin to wear on them and the philosophy truly kicks in. Another big key is running on downs like 3rd and 4 or 5. That said, I would agree that in play-action type situations we need to take advantage of their injuries at corner (but only then).

A couple of notes:

Even though they've been playing with a lead in almost all of their games, New England's D is ranked 21st in rushing yds against/game.

Travis Henry averaged 4.4 yds/carry against them in the first game.

Om runagain.........

Agree completely about backing off the blitz, though. Unless Gray wants to watch McGee (unsuccessfully) chasing David Patten all over the field again. I think having Milloy instead of Wire at SS helps with that, though....