which current bill(s) would start on early 90's team?

truth on hold

mcgee and mckelvin might at corner, and whitner might now that theyve moved hin to FS. other than that im hard pressed to come up with any current bill at LB, on the Dline (which is a bit unfair because they used to play 3 - 4), but in any scheme im not sure jeff wright sits. on offense a similar picture emerges: no way edwards over kelly, or lynch or jackson over thurman, and none of the current offensive line or tight ends. but like defense, the further away from the line you get the better the current team might fair. andre reed was great but is he really a no-brainer over owens? also i see i give evans a slight nod over lofton. for 3rd receiver im staying with tasker over josh reed.

for kicking game ill take morman at punter, but christie at field goals.

so at most it seems like 4 to 6 of the current bills would find a spot on the early 90's team. makes you realize how talented the early 90's team was.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mcgee and mckelvin might at corner, and whitner might now that theyve moved hin to FS. other than that im hard pressed to come up with any current bill at LB, on the Dline (which is a bit unfair because they used to play 3 - 4), but in any scheme im not sure jeff wright sits. on offense a similar picture emerges: no way edwards over kelly, or lynch or jackson over thurman, and none of the current offensive line or tight ends. but like defense, the further away from the line you get the better the current team might fair. andre reed was great but is he really a no-brainer over owens? also i see i give evans a slight nod over lofton. for 3rd receiver im staying with tasker over josh reed.

so at most it seems like 4 to 6 of the current bills would find a spot on the early 90's team. makes you realize how talented the early 90's team was.

1. TO (easily better than Reed or Lofton)

2. Terrence McGee

I think that's about it. By the end of the season we may be ready to add a few more to the list. And Lee Evans over James Lofton is absolutely absurd. Also, the #3 receiver wasn't Tasker - it was Don Beebe, and yes, he is a no brainer over Josh Reed.

Defense

Stroud over Wright

Schobel over Seals (not over Hanson)

Poz over Conlin

Ellison over Bennett - just kidding

McGee over Jackson (but I would take Odomes over McGee or McKelvin)

Whitner and Jones are a wash (Leonard Smith was better than either)

Offense

Owens and Reed are a wash

Evans and Lofton are a wash

Tasker was not the number 3, Beebe was. who is again a wash with Reed.

I would take Eric Wood over Glenn Parker at RG, 90's Bills OL win the rest

Right now I would take Metz over Nelson, but this may change over time.

Oh and how can we forget - Hamden over Gilbert...

Punter

Moorman - no doubt

Mcgee would start opposite Odoms

McLovin would prob be our nickel

Whitner would prob start at FS - Henry Jones woud be SS still

Owens would be opposite Reed and Evans would edge out Beebe as the third

Stroud would start over wright. Wright used to get pushed around all the time.

Poz might be able to start as one of the inside backers.

Def Morman

Its hard to predict since the d scheme was so different. But this current bills team has no one the likes of bruce, bennett, kelly, or thurman. We have some good players, but elite difference makers? Owens was in his prime, but he appears like a 1 year rental.

1. TO (easily better than Reed or Lofton)

2. Terrence McGee

I think that's about it. By the end of the season we may be ready to add a few more to the list. And Lee Evans over James Lofton is absolutely absurd. Also, the #3 receiver wasn't Tasker - it was Don Beebe, and yes, he is a no brainer over Josh Reed.

Jeff Wright over Marcus Stroud? Not in this lifetime.

Defense

Stroud over Wright

Poz over Conlin

Ellison over Bennett - just kidding

McGee over Jackson (but I would take Odomes over McGee or McKelvin)

Whitner and Jones are a wash (Leonard Smith was better than either)

Offense

Owens and Reed are a wash

Evans and Lofton are a wash

Tasker was not the number 3, Beebe was. who is again a wash with Reed.

I would take Eric Wood over Glenn Parker at RG, 90's Bills OL win the rest

Oh and how can we forget - Hamden over Gilbert...

Punter

Moorman - no doubt

OK yea I forgot about Stroud, I can agree with him over Jeff Wright.

But Poz over Conlan? Evans over Lofton? I'm afraid those two are just silly.

Mcgee would start opposite Odoms

McLovin would prob be our nickel

Whitner would prob start at FS - Henry Jones woud be SS still

Owens would be opposite Reed and Evans would edge out Beebe as the third

Stroud would start over wright. Wright used to get pushed around all the time.

Poz might be able to start as one of the inside backers.

Def Morman

Its hard to predict since the d scheme was so different. But this current bills team has no one the likes of bruce, bennett, kelly, or thurman. We have some good players, but elite difference makers? Owens was in his prime, but he appears like a 1 year rental.

I'm sorry but I would take Don Beebe over Lee Evans every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Not sure where the idea that Evans is so awesome comes from.

OK yea I forgot about Stroud, I can agree with him over Jeff Wright.

But Poz over Conlan? Evans over Lofton? I'm afraid those two are just silly.

Conlan was very overrated and always made tackles 5 yards down the field. He benefited from playing with superior players around him and was not very good. Evans and Lofton are 2 different style of receivers. If you ever take a look at Lofton's stats - they are not spectacular:

1990 - 35-712-4

1991 - 57-1072-8

1992 - 51-786-6

He was a bigger threat than anything. I could see the argument for Evans, but that's why I think they are a wash.

Offense: None. In his prime I would have said TO, but he's not in his prime. Evans in his prime would still be #4 behind Reed, Lofton, and Beebe. Trent would have pushed Gale Gilbert for the #3 job

Defense: None. However Stroud might have pushed Jeff Wright for NT. Schobel as a situational passrusher. McGee could have made the roster as nickel/dime CB. Whitner could have made it as a backup to Kelso and Jones

Special Teams:

-P Mooreman

-PR Roscoe

Defense

Stroud over Wright - Agreed

Poz over Conlin - NO

Ellison over Bennett - just kidding - Agreed

McGee over Jackson - Agreed

Whitner and Jones Kelso -Whitner

Offense

Owens and Reed are a wash - Agreed

Evans and Lofton are a wash - Agreed

Tasker was not the number 3, Beebe was. who is again a wash with Reed. Agreed

I would take Eric Wood over Glenn Parker at RG, wash

90's Bills OL win the rest - Agreed

Oh and how can we forget - Hamden over Gilbert...Gilbert

Punter

Moorman - no doubt - Agreed

I would also take Lindell over Norwood.

I'm sorry but I would take Don Beebe over Lee Evans every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Not sure where the idea that Evans is so awesome comes from.

Beebe over Evans - are you kidding? Beebe was fast and entertaining, but couldn't run routes other than a fly. His career highs were 40 receptions, 554 yards and 6 TD. Evans worst year (2005) he went 48-743-7.

Evans and Beebe do not even belong in the discussion ... Lofton and Owens outside with Reed in the slot ... Lofton is in the HALL OF FAME, I do not understand how he gets bumped when you are playing 3 receivers.

Lofton's HOF #'s were put up before he came to Buffalo (1978-1987). His play in Buffalo was good, but if you look at those years in a vacuum, he was an above average receiver.

Conlan was very overrated and always made tackles 5 yards down the field. He benefited from playing with superior players around him and was not very good. Evans and Lofton are 2 different style of receivers. If you ever take a look at Lofton's stats - they are not spectacular:

1990 - 35-712-4

1991 - 57-1072-8

1992 - 51-786-6

He was a bigger threat than anything. I could see the argument for Evans, but that's why I think they are a wash.

I don't overrate Conlan. I think it was adequate at best. And while Poz is one of the players I think we might have a better argument for by the end of the season, just based on what we have seen so far I don't see anything that would make me want to start him over Conlan. I think Poz has lots of potential, but until he taps into it, I can't give him the nod over a tried and true Shane Conlan.

Obiously the whole OL, QB, DE, RB are out of the question, as well as at least 3 of 4 LB's.

Lindell instead of Norwide? Sorry Scott we still love ya....

Moorman no question.

Back then might Lynch have been able to start as a fullback?

McGee Strarts at corner.

TO is a a toss up for me as I happened to think Reed was pretty good (and he had reliable hands=)

Lofton brought more to the table than Lee.

Beebe over Evans - are you kidding? Beebe was fast and entertaining, but couldn't run routes other than a fly. His career highs were 40 receptions, 554 yards and 6 TD. Evans worst year (2005) he went 48-743-7.

Yea and Evans was the PRIMARY target and Beebe was the #3 guy on the chart....your argument is completely self defeating.

And what exactly does Lee Evans do other than run a fly? Exactly. And Beebe was still better at that even.