Do the Bills try to re-sign Owens or let him walk after 1 year?

Jerry Jabber

Some very good points in this thread. I think he's a good fit here for us and him. IMO, our next starting WR is Shawn Nelson. He's in the 'Boldin makeup' that's all the rage. If Owens can give us 2 more years, he can ride off into the HOF sunset -as a Bill!- and we should be set at the position.

Yes, he's had issues with his previous QB's, but Edwards is a different cat and I just don't see this as an issue.

If T.O. was to retire this year and go into the HOF, he might go in as a Bill-only because it would have been the only team that he hadn't been forced out of because of his attitutude-knock on wood! Still a lot of season left for him to be forced out of Buffalo though, cross your fingers.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If TO can actually catch the ball. But his impact is huge on the offense. Just don't give him a multi year deal. He is the most insecure person on the planet.

I agree, if they do bring him back, do it on another one year contract-with the pressure to perform and even more so keep his mouth somewhat shut-never gonna keep it all the way shut. If you give him multiyear and he feels secure, watch out the real T.O. will rear it's ugly head in no time. My guess is the only way he would sign another one year deal is if we were the only ones going after him-again!

when will they let Plax out? May be perfect timing for us

Plax is more of a cancer than T.O. will ever be, and I am not a T.O. fan by any stretch of the imagination. At least T.O. has an impeccable work ethic, where Plax might not even show up on time for practice if at all.

It isn't T.O.'s presence out there that's creating all that room underneath. No. It's magic fairies. :thumbdown:

Owens deserves nothing less than a contract that allows him to retire in Buffalo. He came here when NO other premeir receivers would even LOOK at us. This guy's a future Hall of Famer, people. We were a JOKE at the time Ralph contacted him. Our team was rumored to be moving to flipping CANADA, for Christ's sake. People of this town were SERIOUSLY ready to stop going to games anymore. The mood here was FOUL. Terrell Owens came and quietly, YES QUIETLY, took ahold of our hearts and said, "Hey, calm down, it's all gonna be OK." And so far, he's making good.

All the so-called experts on TV are saying how Terrell has already "blown up" at his club, and the haters here have grasped onto the WEAK arguments these yokels are making and have run with them, and frankly, it WOULD be laughable, if it weren't so meanspirited. All T.O. has done since coming here is calm the storm amongst the desperate fans, create a sense of self-worth among his teammates, and make Buffalo less of a joke (to everyone actually paying attention to the FOOTBALL being played here, anyway). And sheesh, how do you get mad at him for the things he's saying?! He says that he thinks Trent should go long more, take some shots downfield, and what does Trent do? Trent goes long a BUNCH the next game. The result? Two long touchdowns and a WIN.

Look, the guy knew that his own reputation was in the crapper back when maybe the crappiest team in the league came calling. B-Lo and T.O are a match made in Heaven. A town desperate for a hero, and a guy who wants nothing more than to BE that hero. The day the Bills and Owens signed their contract, two NFL outcasts got together and said, "We can help each other, I think." And so far, he's done MORE than his part.

Least we could do is recognize how big a gesture that was.

Did I miss that press conference where stated what you quoted him?

It isn't T.O.'s presence out there that's creating all that room underneath. No. It's magic fairies. :thumbdown:

Owens deserves nothing less than a contract that allows him to retire in Buffalo. He came here when NO other premeir receivers would even LOOK at us. This guy's a future Hall of Famer, people. We were a JOKE at the time Ralph contacted him. Our team was rumored to be moving to flipping CANADA, for Christ's sake. People of this town were SERIOUSLY ready to stop going to games anymore. The mood here was FOUL. Terrell Owens came and quietly, YES QUIETLY, took ahold of our hearts and said, "Hey, calm down, it's all gonna be OK." And so far, he's making good.

All the so-called experts on TV are saying how Terrell has already "blown up" at his club, and the haters here have grasped onto the WEAK arguments these yokels are making and have run with them, and frankly, it WOULD be laughable, if it weren't so meanspirited. All T.O. has done since coming here is calm the storm amongst the desperate fans, create a sense of self-worth among his teammates, and make Buffalo less of a joke (to everyone actually paying attention to the FOOTBALL being played here, anyway). And sheesh, how do you get mad at him for the things he's saying?! He says that he thinks Trent should go long more, take some shots downfield, and what does Trent do? Trent goes long a BUNCH the next game. The result? Two long touchdowns and a WIN.

Look, the guy knew that his own reputation was in the crapper back when maybe the crappiest team in the league came calling. B-Lo and T.O are a match made in Heaven. A town desperate for a hero, and a guy who wants nothing more than to BE that hero. The day the Bills and Owens signed their contract, two NFL outcasts got together and said, "We can help each other, I think." And so far, he's done MORE than his part.

Least we could do is recognize how big a gesture that was.

Agreed on just about every point. Its obvious that all T.O. wants is to be loved and looked at like the hero. We can sign him for a 3 year extension after this year and he can retire a Bill and one of the best WR's in the history of the game. The Bills (and should I dare say city) need a guy like this. Someone that picks us up and takes us to the next level. Next year if Owens is with the Bills he obviously will want to be here. Thats good for everyone. The Bills, The city (with the national media and tv shows) will all benefit from having a starpower here and supporting us.

Am I the only person who seen when it was fourth down in buffalo territory, They showed T.O. screaming towards the sidelines that they got it, and go for it, its about time buffalo got some balls. I dont like him as a person, and I will not watch his show, but I love what he brings to the team!

TO is definitely a net PLUS for this team, mainly because he still dictates how teams defend us. Other receivers on the roster may EVENTUALLY bring this to our offense, but nobody brings this NOW. So, if the next two games play out like the first two weeks, I'd start pursuing some negotiations to extend. I suspect TO has seen firsthand after 2 weeks that this Bills team gives him as good a shot to win as anywhere else.

Has anyone been able to confirm that the Bills ARE ABLE to franchise TO if they want to?

I know it's early in the season, but is this a one and done year for Owens with the Bills? I hope that's not the case. In the Bucs game, we finally got a glimpse of what is possible with having 2 stellar WR's and a good run game. So far, Edwards is looking good this season and IMO Edwards will have a breakout year, mainly due to having Evans & Owens to throw to. I would hope the Bills would sign Owens to a 3 year extension and will have a great offense for years to come.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

The reason the Owens deal is good is because it is a one-year deal. If there is a second or third year, we will see fireworks, and not the pretty kind.

TO is definitely a net PLUS for this team, mainly because he still dictates how teams defend us. Other receivers on the roster may EVENTUALLY bring this to our offense, but nobody brings this NOW. So, if the next two games play out like the first two weeks, I'd start pursuing some negotiations to extend. I suspect TO has seen firsthand after 2 weeks that this Bills team gives him as good a shot to win as anywhere else.

Has anyone been able to confirm that the Bills ARE ABLE to franchise TO if they want to?

Franchising T.O.? Making sure the guy has to stay on the team AGAINST HIS WILL? Now, that would be completely insane. This guy knows how to cause controversy, how to divide teams. Seriously, that won't even be considered.

It is certainly possible with in the rules, though.

After reading most every response people think TO is the #2 receiver? Really? Evans is clearly the #2 and cannot be a game changing #1 receiver.

TO is a #1 guy and if he leaves we have to replace him. That's why I would have thrown our #2 pick to AZ for Boldin with Evans salary.

Gotta disagree. T.O. is #2 here, and Lee is #1. We'll see it as the year goes along.

Am I the only person who seen when it was fourth down in buffalo territory, They showed T.O. screaming towards the sidelines that they got it, and go for it, its about time buffalo got some balls. I dont like him as a person, and I will not watch his show, but I love what he brings to the team!

Yes I saw that and liked it as well!

TO needs to be re-signed. He has brought an attitude here with him that is only rubbing off in a positive way with his young teammates. An attitude that this team has missed since the early 90's. When the hell would DJ go for it on 4th down in his OWN territory, that took guts that he didn't have in prior years and it was TO in his ear on that. the past several years, everyone has been bitching that this team has no attitude, well guess what, we now have an attitude and half of you want him gone already.

Owens has not only been drawing people off the line to cover him, but on running plays he's blocking hard downfield. Sure he hasn't caught as many balls as we would like to see, but he brings a number of positive tangibles to this team as well.

Some day he will blow up, without a doubt, but I bet its because of players/coaches not trying and not for only selfish reasons. If TO starts yelling he needs to get the ball more, well, looking through the first two games, he needs to get the ball more. He needs to stay here for at least one more year.

I know it's early in the season, but is this a one and done year for Owens with the Bills? I hope that's not the case. In the Bucs game, we finally got a glimpse of what is possible with having 2 stellar WR's and a good run game. So far, Edwards is looking good this season and IMO Edwards will have a breakout year, mainly due to having Evans & Owens to throw to. I would hope the Bills would sign Owens to a 3 year extension and will have a great offense for years to come.

Two weeks into a season is way too early. And in the two games he hasn't totally proven himself. Against the Buccaneers he dropped a pass that went right between his hands (he beat the defender and no stretching). He should have had it.

Franchising T.O.? Making sure the guy has to stay on the team AGAINST HIS WILL? Now, that would be completely insane. This guy knows how to cause controversy, how to divide teams. Seriously, that won't even be considered.

It is certainly possible with in the rules, though.

I agree that franchising TO (or any player for that matter) is rarely the best strategy for a team. I was just curious if TO's one year deal allowed for the Bills to even have that option.

I agree that franchising TO (or any player for that matter) is rarely the best strategy for a team. I was just curious if TO's one year deal allowed for the Bills to even have that option.

I asked that question of TG, JW, and a few of the Bflo News writers in emails. Haven't heard back but those guys are real busy.

The standard NFL contract allows a team to franchise a player who fits certain criteria, which T.O. meets. I am going to guess that if he had a no-franchise tag clause in his contract that we would have heard about it by now. Those types of things tend to leak out over time.

For instance, the Bills franchised Nate Clements (in 2006?) with the promise that they would not franchise him again after the 2006 season. This arrangement became fairly common knowledge.

The Patriots this offseason signed well-respected cornerback Leigh Bodden to a one-year, below market contract with the clause that he would not be franchised after this season. This is also common knowledge.

So I believe that if T.O. had a no-franchise tag clause, we'd have heard about it by now.

I don't think TO would mind being franchised. Tampa franchised Antonio Bryant to the tune of $10 MILLION + .............not quite DOUBLE what TO signed for this year but almost.

Doesn't sound like T.O. is really thinking about spending more time in Buffalo.

"I'm here to give these fans what they've been looking for so long," he says.

Um, this year? Really?

"Why not this year?" he says. "For me, I have a one-year deal, so I don't have anything to look further to."

Source