Lil Donte

I've been hard on the little guy for his lack of playmaking ability, his big mouth and overall average play but today he made some big plays. He stood out today for the first time as the D's best player along with K. Williams. The pick was great, he cleaned up Buggs's hit on 4th down and he made a couple of nice hits over the middle. I thought he played well against the Pats too. Obviously FS is where he should be. Props Lil Donte, you deserve a solid A so far! No more flashes though, we need consistant play out of you!!!!!

Donte's issue hasn't been him playing SS instead of FS. If you recall he was a very good SS in his rookie season, when he played it exclusively.

The reason Whitner hasn't lived up to the expectations of many fans is, he has been constantly moved from SS-to-FS-to-CB on a game by game, and play by play, basis. Whitner is the guy Fewell uses to fill the gap caused by injuries in the defensive backfield. He has never had the freedom to do what most NFL safeties get to do. The past two years he has been a Swiss-Army DB.

Donte will be just fine at FS (or even SS) if he is allowed to play the position on a regular basis, and plays behind a defensive line that gets some pressure on the QB.

You might want to learn football.....

cuz he was in the nickel for almost every play in the 4th....

even on the TD-INT.....Whitner was the nickel....Byrd had cover 2 responsibility on the play

You might want to learn football too.

The Bucs were in double TE's and motioned K2 over to a twin set. The Bills, who were playing Nickel a ton in the 1st qtr until Mckelvin went down, defense changes because of the personel of the Bucs which was the only resason Donte was in that flat. If the Bucs came out in 3 or 4 wide Donte would've been high in C2.

So Mr. Football, Donte was not playing Nickel but had to adjust to the Bucs formation. It's a function of the position, ya know?

Go back and watch it, I just did. :lol:

It is? I thought consensus when he was drafted was that he didn't have the range for FS, he was pegged for SS from the beginning, like Huff in that year, or LaRon Landry for the Skins. Not a natural FS like the late Sean Taylor or Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu.

Actually, you're wrong - his calling card was range, because his his speed (in the high 4.4's) was very high for a safety. In fact, when he was drafted, there was some speculation that he might be shifted corner because of his coverage ability.

Donte Whitner played great last week and played another excellent game today. His tackling has been superb, and letting him roam at free safety seems to really mesh w/ him. The Bills also move him around in regards to blitzing and playing underneath zones instead of only center field. Very very happy with his play

Actually, you're wrong - his calling card was range, because his his speed (in the high 4.4's) was very high for a safety. In fact, when he was drafted, there was some speculation that he might be shifted corner because of his coverage ability.

Indeed. He came into the league with the ability to play three spots in the defensive backfield. That versatility has been his undoing (according to some) so far in the NFL. It's also what keeps him on the field for almost every defensive play. But he would likely be more of a "stud SS" (or FS) if his skills limited him to play only one position.

Indeed. He came into the league with the ability to play three spots in the defensive backfield. That versatility has been his undoing (according to some) so far in the NFL. It's also what keeps him on the field for almost every defensive play. But he would likely be more of a "stud SS" (or FS) if his skills limited him to play only one position.

I started this thread because I think the Donte "haters" (me being one of them) should give him credit for playing very well the last two games. But you are completely off base when you say he would be a "stud" SS if he was able to play SS full time. First of all, he has played SS the majority of his career here. Secondly, moving around is a function of a SS. Just like blocking is a function of a WR or RB. Are they O Lineman? No, but they have to block! Well thats what safties do in the NFL, they cover TE's, man up on the slot, blitz, play in the box, etc. BTW, if you notice, the majority of starting DB's stay on the field for every play! You make it sound like it's high school and he is playing both ways and special teams. I know you love to make excuses for DW, but give it a rest and be happy that he is finally ballin.

It is? I thought consensus when he was drafted was that he didn't have the range for FS, he was pegged for SS from the beginning, like Huff in that year, or LaRon Landry for the Skins. Not a natural FS like the late Sean Taylor or Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu.

Pretty sure Polamalu plays SS but agree Donte was drafted as a SS. I would not be surprised if Byrd beats him out next year and then have to choose between Scott and Donte at SS.

It's a refernce to what Whitner said about Jim Loeonard. He called him "Lil Jimmy" after Leonard played great in relief of Ko Simpson. It became a bigger issue after Leonard excelled with Baltimore last year especially in the playoffs.

Why does it matter? I mean really? I like the name lil Donte but that's just me.

Back on topic; I'm very happy to see Donte doing well. I've always wanted to be a fan but was waiting for him to step his game up to the same speed his mouth is running. It seems like it finally may be happening and I for one am stoked about it. As goes Donte I believe so will go our Defense...

I started this thread because I think the Donte "haters" (me being one of them) should give him credit for playing very well the last two games. But you are completely off base when you say he would be a "stud" SS if he was able to play SS full time. First of all, he has played SS the majority of his career here. Secondly, moving around is a function of a SS. Just like blocking is a function of a WR or RB. Are they O Lineman? No, but they have to block! Well thats what safties do in the NFL, they cover TE's, man up on the slot, blitz, play in the box, etc. BTW, if you notice, the majority of starting DB's stay on the field for every play! You make it sound like it's high school and he is playing both ways and special teams. I know you love to make excuses for DW, but give it a rest and be happy that he is finally ballin.

When Scott played last year, he was the SS. And, if you don't believe me...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...84-e80398a4043c

Excerpt:

Whitner has already worn a few hats this season playing in the slot in nickel packages in addition to his safety duties, which include both strong and free safety responsibilities.

“I enjoy it,” said Whitner. “I play some corner and strong and free safety. I’ll pretty much be playing every position in the secondary this weekend. So it’ll be fun. We’ll see what happens.”

You can dispute Chris Brown's objectivity when it comes to his assessment of Donte's (or any Bills') skills, but he knows what positions they guys are playing. I also think Whitner knows what position he is playing.

I'm not much of an expert on line play, but I'm a pretty good observer and judge of DB play, I think. Whitner had only one year where he played a true SS for the entire year, and that was his rookie season (when Ko was a fairly serviceable FS). He had over 100 tackles and 5 passes defended that season.

I don't know that Whitner will ever become an Ed Reed at FS or a Troy Polamalu at SS. But I don't think either of them is asked to take on as many different responsibilities in a season, or a game, as Donte has. Bob Sanders is a safety who has been asked to play at both FS and SS and has done both at a very high level. But he rarely has specific primary coverage responsibility, the way Whitner has had with the Bills D.

Donte Whitner played great last week and played another excellent game today. His tackling has been superb, and letting him roam at free safety seems to really mesh w/ him. The Bills also move him around in regards to blitzing and playing underneath zones instead of only center field. Very very happy with his play

kudos to the D yesterday, we had quite a few open field tackles, where the first guy to make contact wrapped up the ball-carrier, even on special teams returns too. towards the end of the game you could sense that the D smelled victory, the hits were just that much harder and people getting to the ball-carrier that much faster.