I was close to having the site transferred...

SDS

Hey Scoot, try this command.  I think it might solve a lot of your problems

rm -rf *

8489[/snapback]

Of course you have to 'cd /' first :D

b

Heh, that's the game we call "reflex." (How fast can you hit Ctrl-C?)

I've known people who have purposefully "decommisioned" a machine using that method...sit and watch...and wait 'til it crashes.

Hey Scoot, try this command.  I think it might solve a lot of your problems

rm -rf *

8489[/snapback]

i've done that before on a system i was about to wipe, just for stevestojans and giggles. funny thing is it doesn't delete everything. once rm was deleted, it errored out with command or filename not found :D

i've done that before on a system i was about to wipe, just for stevestojans and giggles.  funny thing is it doesn't delete everything.  once rm was deleted, it errored out with command or filename not found  :D

8511[/snapback]

Oh oh.. do it with different OS's. Depending on cache and unlink semantics, sometimes you actually WILL wipe most everything =)

the good news is that they are reformatting the disk as we speak. I should have everything up and running tomorrow night. This will give us the weekend for the domain to point to the new machine.

Again, this one may be a dog - we'll wait and see. If it is we can do a quick upgrade with the same host.

I wacked our server and now I am waiting on support.

Damn root level access....  <_<

8480[/snapback]

You whacked your root? Wont that put hair on your palms?

What?

i've done that before on a system i was about to wipe, just for stevestojans and giggles.  funny thing is it doesn't delete everything.  once rm was deleted, it errored out with command or filename not found  :(

8511[/snapback]

<_<

That actually doesn't make sense... rm gets loaded into memory and isn't referenced anymore after that. All the inodes are then removed (from the rm command), but again, the inode shouldn't have to be referenced since the process is already in memory...

It should be no different than if you have a process running that's writing to a log file and you delete the log -- the file is still open, data is still being written to it, you just can't access it anymore (but the disk can still fill up; joy!).

:o

I don't get it...

CW

<_<

That actually doesn't make sense...  rm gets loaded into memory and isn't referenced anymore after that.  All the inodes are then removed (from the rm command), but again, the inode shouldn't have to be referenced since the process is already in memory...

It should be no different than if you have a process running that's writing to a log file and you delete the log -- the file is still open, data is still being written to it, you just can't access it anymore (but the disk can still fill up; joy!).

I don't get it...

CW

8752[/snapback]

That happens in windows, but you're right under unix it shouldn't.

<_<

That actually doesn't make sense...  rm gets loaded into memory and isn't referenced anymore after that.  All the inodes are then removed (from the rm command), but again, the inode shouldn't have to be referenced since the process is already in memory...

I don't get it...

CW

8752[/snapback]

yeah i know, but it happened. was an older RH distro, 5.? or 6.? i think