Buffalo vs. NE - penalty history since 2006

Got_Wood

Since 2006 (during Jauron's tenure) here is the penalty comparison when the Bills play New England:

Bills

41 penalties for 297 yards

Patriots

20 penalties for 167 yards

This tells me two different things. 1.) The Patriots are clearly the better coached team. No coach allows their players to make this many mistakes, especially against your biggest division rival. And 2.) The referees favor the Patriots. This is a HUGE discrepancy in penalties and yards. A team will always have an advantage in a game where they get big penalties at crucial points in the game. Last night we lost FOUR first downs because of penalties. NE never lost one first down because of the referees.

This is a stat worth noting.

Since 2006 (during Jauron's tenure) here is the penalty comparison when the Bills play New England:

Bills

41 penalties for 297 yards

Patriots

20 penalties for 167 yards

This tells me two different things. 1.) The Patriots are clearly the better coached team. No coach allows their players to make this many mistakes, especially against your biggest division rival. And 2.) The referees favor the Patriots. This is a HUGE discrepancy in penalties and yards. A team will always have an advantage in a game where they get big penalties at crucial points in the game. Last night we lost FOUR first downs because of penalties. NE never lost one first down because of the referees.

This is a stat worth noting.

I think we get hosed by the refs. But truth be told, less talented teams probably commit more penalties out of necessity (e.g., if you're getting beat by Adalius Thomas, you have to hold him; if you're getting burned by Randy Moss, you're going to sometimes have to interfere on the play, etc.).

I think we get hosed by the refs. But truth be told, less talented teams probably commit more penalties out of necessity (e.g., if you're getting beat by Adalius Thomas, you have to hold him; if you're getting burned by Randy Moss, you're going to sometimes have to interfere on the play, etc.).

At the other end of the spectrum, I saw Maybin and Mitchell get held MULTIPLE times last night and nothing was called. The referees can call penalties on almost every play if they want to. It is up to their discretion of when to make the call. They clearly turned their heads to the Patriots offensive line penalties last night.

Well it took all day before I saw a 'The refs screwed us again" post but I figured one had to be coming.

Your number 1 point is very logical and makes perfect sense and can explain the skew. Your second point and the rest of that paragraph, in my opinion, are sprinkled with horse sh--.

If anything, I think the game last night was called in our favor. We were overpenalized because of sloppy play, not a ref bias.

2 penalties for illegal procedure on Bell is ridiculous. TO's offensive pass interference was BS. And Denney's defensive holding was awful as well.

The 2 unnecessary roughness calls we got were already on 1st down. And Wilfork is known for diving at people's knees, and Adalius clearly body slammed Trent.

The Patriots were getting the benefit of the doubt last night.

Well it took all day before I saw a 'The refs screwed us again" post but I figured one had to be coming.

Your number 1 point is very logical and makes perfect sense and can explain the skew. Your second point and the rest of that paragraph, in my opinion, are sprinkled with horse sh--.

Thanks for the truthful post there codemonkey.

TO's offensive pass interference was BS.

I'd have to look at the others again in order to comment. But this one I remember. T.O. pushed the defender off to get separation before catching the ball. The replay clearly showed that.

I agree with your assessment of the pats roughing calls.

T.O. pushed the defender off to get separation before catching the ball. The replay clearly showed that.

My argument would be that TO was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. The corners can jam receivers, and the receivers should be able to push away from contact. That's my 2 cents on that call. Debatable though.

My argument would be that TO was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. The corners can jam receivers, and the receivers should be able to push away from contact. That's my 2 cents on that call. Debatable though.

I didn't think T.O was avoiding a jam when I watched the replay last night. I thought he was just fed up with being doubled all game and decided "I'm going to get open, dammit!" <_< But yeah, that could be debatable for sure.

I didn't think T.O was avoiding a jam when I watched the replay last night. I thought he was just fed up with being doubled all game and decided "I'm going to get open, dammit!" :thumbsup: But yeah, that could be debatable for sure.

Not that Randy Moss plays the same type of game exactly as TO, but IF Randy Moss had made the play TO did he would not have been called for offensive pass interference. That is the truest definition of biased officiating for borderline calls, think of the play reversed and think whether the call would have been made. For example the refs were going to call PF on either team that roughed a QB, but no way do they call OPI on Moss.

2 penalties for illegal formation on Bell is ridiculous. TO's offensive pass interference was BS. And Denney's defensive holding was awful as well.

The 2 unnecessary roughness calls we got were already on 1st down. And Wilfork is known for diving at people's knees, and Adalius clearly body slammed Trent.

I want to be clear that I do not believe that the officiating decided the outcome of the game. The call against Wilfork was an error (although I choose to chalk it up to the lardass' karma).

But do I think the officiating favored the home team? Yes. In addition to the lack of blocking infractions against the New England offensive line, the spotting of the ball seemed to be a recurring issue which favored the Patriots.

Still we should have won the game.

2 penalties for illegal procedure on Bell is ridiculous. TO's offensive pass interference was BS. And Denney's defensive holding was awful as well.

I agree that the 2 line calls on Bell were BS, I didn't see anything there that deserved a penalty

The call on TO was right on unfortunately,... he pushed off, way off

The call on Wilfork was BS as well, it was a make-up call for the phantom offensive holding call that they called on us the play before wiping out a first down. Straight up get even call and we deserved that. I would have preferred they not called the holding in the first place

The call on Adalius Thomas was also BS, he's got to be able to hit the QB as he's releasing the ball. Thats all he did

I didn't like the call on Whitner, but on the replay he did lead w/ the helmut, thats how people get paralyzed, so I can't argue with that one.

The refs weren't great, but they didn't lose this for us either....

Not that Randy Moss plays the same type of game exactly as TO, but IF Randy Moss had made the play TO did he would not have been called for offensive pass interference. That is the truest definition of biased officiating for borderline calls, think of the play reversed and think whether the call would have been made. For example the refs were going to call PF on either team that roughed a QB, but no way do they call OPI on Moss.

I mean no offense, but that statement is the truest definition of homer bias.

But I'll bite. What makes you sure if it was Moss pushing off that blatantly that he would not be called?

Peter King and I agree with you on this one. TO is allowed to push within 5 yards. The Bell penalities were accurate. The Wilfork penalty was a joke and if that had been Stroud called for it you would have thrown your Wi through the TV.

I mean no offense, but that statement is the truest definition of homer bias.

But I'll bite. What makes you sure if it was Moss pushing off that blatantly that he would not be called?

Obviously you've never seen Moss play. He pushes-off all the time and gets away with it. :thumbsup:

In other news, the grassy knoll shooter was captured, Neil Armstrong gave a tour of the moon walk Hollywood studio, and George Bush's credit card records show he bought the 9/11 hijackers airline tickets

Maybe they don't get as many penalty's because they are a BETTER TEAM?

They are a better team, but they do get away with more penalties.

The call on Adalius Thomas was also BS, he's got to be able to hit the QB as he's releasing the ball. Thats all he did

If we're talking about the same play, most of the commentators during and after the game agreed with this call as did I. To me the salient point is that Edwards was in the grasp and control and the whistle was already blowing when Thomas slung him around into the ground. It was not flagrant but I think it was a foul.

In other news, the grassy knoll shooter was captured, Neil Armstrong gave a tour of the moon walk Hollywood studio, and George Bush's credit card records show he bought the 9/11 hijackers airline tickets

Maybe they don't get as many penalty's because they are a BETTER TEAM?

Well there may be some here with conspiracy theories but I think most of us are just critiquing the officiating.

As a rule, better teams seem to get more calls. As another rule, home teams seem to get more calls. As I said before, on balance I thought they got more calls than we did but it didn't alter to outcome of the game IMO.

At the other end of the spectrum, I saw Maybin and Mitchell get held MULTIPLE times last night and nothing was called. The referees can call penalties on almost every play if they want to. It is up to their discretion of when to make the call. They clearly turned their heads to the Patriots offensive line penalties last night.

I saw this crap too. If the REFs want to be tic-tacky on the calls, and they were by calling those BS procedure penalties on Bell, then they should be calling obviouse holding calls. The call on Wilfork did make up some...