Have to take the cat to the vet in 1 hour.

mead107

:rolleyes: Cancer, found it 7 weeks ago nothing they could do because of the feline leukemia . We adopted him just before super bowl. He was a rescue cat from the streets of Albany.

A stray Siamese found us a few years ago. He was the all time great Cat but it turned out he tested positive for Feline Leukemia too. We gave him the best life we could but lost him to the disease, too soon. It's never easy! Sorry for your loss!

Thanks all.

I did not think that this cat would be as hard as the last one to let go seeing that we had him a short time. Just as bad . We have one other cat that has the feline leukemia. At some point we will get her another companion.

Go carefully there. Cats have delicate renal systems. I read an article recently that said introducing another cat, especially a younger, more rambunctious one into a home with an older cat , can stress the older cat to the point where in time, their kidneys start to prematurely fail.

My brother had to put down his cat three years ago. It had been my cat but I had moved into an apartment that doesn't allow pets.

It's very hard to deal with. Before you get another cat throw all of this cat's stuff out because fe-leu can pass from cat to cat, IIRC.

You do recall correctly (it's a virus not dissimilar to HIV)...but it requires close contact between cats, and the virus dies off pretty rapidly in normal (i.e. outside of a cat) conditions.

There's also a vaccine for it, I believe.

Thanks all.

I did not think that this cat would be as hard as the last one to let go seeing that we had him a short time. Just as bad . We have one other cat that has the feline leukemia. At some point we will get her another companion.

Be really careful bringing another cat home. Read below.

You do recall correctly (it's a virus not dissimilar to HIV)...but it requires close contact between cats, and the virus dies off pretty rapidly in normal (i.e. outside of a cat) conditions.

There's also a vaccine for it, I believe.

Cool, I didn't remember about the vaccine thing. I think that's relatively new. Mead has to be careful about bringing in another cat to a house that has a fe-leu cat. Maybe he can get it vaccinated before bringing it home.

Sorry for your loss, Mead. We recently had to put our cat down (took her in as a rescue and she'd be with me for 19 years) and it was much more difficult than I ever expected.

I know how you felt. I hate people who make light of the pain someone feels when they put down a pet. Obviously these people have never owned a pet. It's really hard to do.

I think a big part of it is that they can't talk. If they did it might be easier to do. Constant complaints like;

"Can a guy get a little food around here that doesn't taste like crap?"

"Why don't I get to eat that?"

"Would a can of tuna kill me once in a while?"

"Jesus, you want me to catch mice and then you freak out when I do and I bring it to you?!"

"Yeah pal, you get neutered first and then we'll talk?"

"Have you seen my litter pan? It's disgusting and you wonder why I peed on your pillow!?"

"Yeah, when I wanna be held your cooking or cleaning or some such crap and now you want me to drop everything and come to you, good luck with that."

"Why the :lol: didn't you tell me there was hot sauce on that chicken wing!!!??? It's NOT FUNNY!!"

"I swear to God if you make one more "who's the pretty kitty comment I'll claw your eyes out. Jesus give it a rest!"

"Why the hell didn't you come to the door sooner?! Couldn't you hear me meowing for an hour?! You were probably doing that disgusting thing you do with your wife. Ewwww" (shudders)

"Yeah, I did knock the light over. What of it? You make mistakes all the time so quit yelling and kiss my puckered ass!"

Actually, I think I'd put that cat down myself. :P