NFL Red Zone Channel

Corp000085

Sorry if this is already being discussed in the various gameday threads, so please merge if appropriate. If not, wow... This channel is effin brilliant. Its a dude watching all of the games at one time and they just bounce around. No commercials, you hear the various audio feeds live. It's awesome. It totally makes canceling sunday ticket worth it for me. Yes, I'll still have to drive to a bar to see the Bills, but for every other game, this is great. There's nothing worse than watching the 14 cbs or fox feeds on ST and having the exact same commercial packages being run at roughly the same time. This takes the guesswork out of it.

The Red Zone represents everything that is wrong with the way many watch football, IMO.

With that said, I was pretty happy to find out I have it, and didn't have to pay extra. One small positive to weigh against the mountain of Comcast negatives.

I didn't even come close to saying that. But thanks for the misinterpretation.

there is another way to interpret this?

The Red Zone represents everything that is wrong with the way many watch football, IMO.

I'd love to hear it.

It's the NFL. If I had a way to watch exciting pro football, without seeing scared OCs calling dumb plays, without seeing defenders penalized for 15 yards for touching a guy, without the feeling that the game is a sideshow to the Toyota Tundra ads, I'd be all over it. But I don't have access to Red Zone, and doubt that I will make efforts to get it.

I'll keep enjoying good football on Saturdays and Bills games on Sundays.

there is another way to interpret this?

You should know by now, my observations are usually far more nuanced and complex than that.

It has nothing to do with what is right or wrong about having fun. (Your interpretation of my statement.) I think people should have fun any way they like, as long as it doesn't infringe on the fun of others. I think I made it clear that I liked it, so I think it is fun.

But the increased focus on watching the "hot action" comes at a price. Just as the plethora of "highlights" has affected the way many understand football, it seems likely this hot-pockets version of watching football will further diminish the understanding of, and appreciation for, the more mundane (but vitally important) aspects of the game.

Does the way we view the game eventually have an impact on the game itself? I don't have enough evidence to make a sound conclusion, but my gut tells me it does.

It's the NFL. If I had a way to watch exciting pro football, without seeing scared OCs calling dumb plays, without seeing defenders penalized for 15 yards for touching a guy, without the feeling that the game is a sideshow to the Toyota Tundra ads, I'd be all over it. But I don't have access to Red Zone, and doubt that I will make efforts to get it.

I'll keep enjoying good football on Saturdays and Bills games on Sundays.

Are you suggesting College football isn't a sideshow for Toyota Tundra ads?

I watched plenty of exciting NFL football today. Of course, I can appreciate solid defensive football as much as I do sloppy high scoring games.

You should know by now, my observations are usually far more nuanced and complex than that.

It has nothing to do with what is right or wrong about having fun. (Your interpretation of my statement.) I think people should have fun any way they like, as long as it doesn't infringe on the fun of others. I think I made it clear that I liked it, so I think it is fun.

But the increased focus on watching the "hot action" comes at a price. Just as the plethora of "highlights" has affected the way many understand football, it seems likely this hot-pockets version of watching football will further diminish the understanding of, and appreciation for, the more mundane (but vitally important) aspects of the game.

Does the way we view the game eventually have an impact on the game itself? I don't have enough evidence to make a sound conclusion, but my gut tells me it does.

I watched the RZC for the first time yesterday and couldn't believe how amazing it was to just sit there and watch all of the action in all of the games on one channel. It was surreal.

That being said, you are right. My fondest memories of the sheer "experience" of watching football was before the nineties. This was when the clocked was stopped after a run out of bounds and didn't start again till the next play was run. Watching a game today, you just blink and it's in the second quarter already.

I'm torn on this. RZC just might be video crack.