Don't think there will be a blowout on Monday night

PeteBills4ever

Lots of people here are expecting the Pats to blowout the Bills on Monday night, I'm still favoring the Pats to win, but here are a few things that indicates that this game will be closer than people think:

Pats pass rush: The Pats we're ranked 14th in sacks last year with 31(13.5 of them by Seymour, Vrabel and Hobbs who are gone), both starting ends Warren and Green, had 2 last year.What we need to look out for is outside linebacker Thomas (5 sacks last year). I know our line is very young and unproven, but with a decent game plan for the o-line vs the Pats pass rushers, Trent should have time to throw on some occasions.

Mismatches on coverage for the Pats vs our WR's: As mentioned above when Trent will have time to throw, Owens vs Springs(still listed as probable), and Evans vs Bodden are clear mismatches. Last four meetings of Owens vs Springs, TO averaged 7 catches for 90 yards and more than one td. The Pats secondary is very average at best with no proven depth.

Our downfalls for this game will be our lack of pass rush vs a solid O-line and Tom Brady, I still like the matchups of McGee vs Moss and McKelvin vs Welker, but Brady with time to throw will still burn you. Also the absence of Lynch will hurt us in that game, I prefer our combo of Lynch-Jackson over the Pats aging committee of Morris-Taylor-Maroney.

We should be able to put up points in this game, but the Pats will score more, but I don't see a blowout happening.

Lots of people here are expecting the Pats to blowout the Bills on Monday night, I'm still favoring the Pats to win, but here are a few things that indicates that this game will be closer than people think:

Pats pass rush: The Pats we're ranked 14th in sacks last year with 31(13.5 of them by Seymour, Vrabel and Hobbs who are gone), both starting ends Warren and Green, had 2 last year.What we need to look out for is outside linebacker Thomas (5 sacks last year). I know our line is very young and unproven, but with a decent game plan for the o-line vs the Pats pass rushers, Trent should have time to throw on some occasions.

Mismatches on coverage for the Pats vs our WR's: As mentioned above when Trent will have time to throw, Owens vs Springs(still listed as probable), and Evans vs Bodden are clear mismatches. Last four meetings of Owens vs Springs, TO averaged 7 catches for 90 yards and more than one td. The Pats secondary is very average at best with no proven depth.

Our downfalls for this game will be our lack of pass rush vs a solid O-line and Tom Brady, I still like the matchups of McGee vs Moss and McKelvin vs Welker, but Brady with time to throw will still burn you. Also the absence of Lynch will hurt us in that game, I prefer our combo of Lynch-Jackson over the Pats aging committee of Morris-Taylor-Maroney.

We should be able to put up points in this game, but the Pats will score more, but I don't see a blowout happening.

I think there are going to be a lot of us looking at the score in the fourth quarter saying "Oh, my F-ing God, we have a shot".

I will tell you this. If the Bills win this game, I'm going to be calling out a number of the TBD prunes by name. And I'm looking forward to it.

It would be a kick to see them win, but keep it in prospective.

2003: The Bills started the season in grand fashion with a dominating 31-0 win over the New England Patriots, as the Bills were spurred on by the late acquisition of Lawyer Milloy, who was eager to avenge his stunning release by the Pats at the end of training camp. The Bills looked just as strong the following week with a 38-17 win on the road over the Jacksonville Jaguars. However the Bills road turned bumpy in Week 3 as they were held to 118 total yards in a 17-7 loss to the Miami Dolphins. The Bills would split their next 4 games before, winning twice despite poor performances from QB Drew Bledsoe. Things would go bad to worse as they lost 4 straight games scoring a total 35 points along the way, as Bledsoe continued to struggle with a low QB rating of 73.0. After two straight wins against their Empire State rivals the Bills ended the season with a whimper losing their final 3 games to finish in 3rd place with a disappointing 6-10 record, which would cost Coach Gregg Williams his job.

It would be a kick to see them win, but keep it in prospective.

In line with your theme of keeping it in perspective, Jim, let's get through Monday. I don't care what happens in Week 11 or 14. The Bills may suffer badly at the hands of the Pats* later in the season, but that's not the problem for this week. Let's get through September 14th, and then we'll move on to September 20th. And so on.

Although a realist, I always approach kickoff with a sense of optimism and hope.

One other glimmer of hope (fools gold?) is that the Patriots, like the Giants, are concerned with their depth and age at the O-line. With Schobel back and the addition of Maybin, there's a chance that we can generate enough pass rush that Brady (who has looked tentative in preseason) won't find his groove. There's also a chance that Welker (questionable and limited participation in practice) may not play or if he does, may not be at total effectiveness. I actually would not be surprised if the Patriots come out trying to run the ball on us.

Anyways there's signs of hope on both sides of the ball.

Although a realist, I always approach kickoff with a sense of optimism and hope.

One other glimmer of hope (fools gold?) is that the Patriots, like the Giants, are concerned with their depth and age at the O-line. With Schobel back and the addition of Maybin, there's a chance that we can generate enough pass rush that Brady (who has looked tentative in preseason) won't find his groove. There's also a chance that Welker (questionable and limited participation in practice) may not play or if he does, may not be at total effectiveness. I actually would not be surprised if the Patriots come out trying to run the ball on us.

Anyways there's signs of hope on both sides of the ball.

Ah, another fellow optimist. THOUGHT I might find you here, SJBF. To echo a point I'd raised a couple of days ago, let's watch for how many times Maybin creates a false start on the Pats* O-line. I'd be just as happy with THAT sort of disruption as I would with a sack.

Unless it's a real painful sack, mind you. I'd like a real painful sack. Not on me, but on Brady*. And I'm referring to "sack" in the footbal sense, not in the anatomical sense...oh, never mind...

Ah, another fellow optimist. THOUGHT I might find you here, SJBF. To echo a point I'd raised a couple of days ago, let's watch for how many times Maybin creates a false start on the Pats* O-line. I'd be just as happy with THAT sort of disruption as I would with a sack.

Unless it's a real painful sack, mind you. I'd like a real painful sack. Not on me, but on Brady*. And I'm referring to "sack" in the footbal sense, not in the anatomical sense...oh, never mind...

final score 27-24 bills...........i dont know why.....but getting rid of turk and his dumb playcalling

puts us over the edge.......throw the ball all day on pats.....

final score 27-24 bills...........i dont know why.....but getting rid of turk and his dumb playcalling

puts us over the edge.......throw the ball all day on pats.....

We are better then them in one phase of the game, special teams. Offensively they have the advantage. Defensively we are not sure who has the advantage. Everyone is thinking the Pats have a better D, but no one is sure how bad they are or how good we are. I know that is a positive spin, but I do like the Bills to compete this year,

In line with your theme of keeping it in perspective, Jim, let's get through Monday. I don't care what happens in Week 11 or 14. The Bills may suffer badly at the hands of the Pats* later in the season, but that's not the problem for this week. Let's get through September 14th, and then we'll move on to September 20th. And so on.

Agree 100%, and I am not trying to be a wet blanket here but due to the fact it's the first game, AND against NE I get the impression some fans will be yelling"we're going to the show" with a win. [apologies to Daryl Tally for lifting his quote]

Welker's the slot man. McKelvin won't be covering him, unless the Bills have made some kind of special switch for this game. The other WR is Galloway this year, I think, and McKelvin will be on him probably. I'm not clear on who is the Bills #3 corner this year. Corner? Youboty? Lankster? Even Byrd, though I doubt it? Whoever it is, he'll be covering Welker, and that will be a mismatch as usual.

Welker's the slot man. McKelvin won't be covering him, unless the Bills have made some kind of special switch for this game. The other WR is Galloway this year, I think, and McKelvin will be on him probably. I'm not clear on who is the Bills #3 corner this year. Corner? Youboty? Lankster? Even Byrd, though I doubt it? Whoever it is, he'll be covering Welker, and that will be a mismatch as usual.

On the last Depth chart I saw on the Pats they have Welker as the #2 receiver, and Galloway behind him, anyhow I still like our matchups...As for the #3 corner I think it's Corner, not sure 100%...