Runyon vs Jones

Do we really need an over the hill tackle? I would rather see Levi Jones coming to town. He is younger and more athletic at this point in their respective careers. The knock on Jones is his health, but we could use Bell as his backup and he could get experience playing behind Jones.

Yes.

Runyan is a great RT. 9 years without missing a start until the '08 season.

If he has fully recovered from microfracture surgery on his right knee, he is a better option than Levi Jones.

Do we really need an over the hill tackle? I would rather see Levi Jones coming to town. He is younger and more athletic at this point in their respective careers. The knock on Jones is his health, but we could use Bell as his backup and he could get experience playing behind Jones.

The knock on Jones is his health & from what I hear it isn't going to improve. He is finished.

I would love to have Runyan in Buffalo. While both have injury issues, Jones just seems to be the biggest risk. If any team signs Runyan, they'll wait until after week 1. If they sign him before, they'll be on the hook for his whole base salary.

There are good reasons not to sign Runyan until Monday. As a vested veteran, his entire season's base salary would be guaranteed if he was on the roster for the first game. That's a big commitment to a tackle who turns 36 in November, coming off microfracture surgery.

I would love to have Runyan in Buffalo. While both have injury issues, Jones just seems to be the biggest risk. If any team signs Runyan, they'll wait until after week 1. If they sign him before, they'll be on the hook for his whole base salary.

I keep seeing this posted, and I just don't think it's that relevant. If he gets hurt, we still have to pay him for the rest of the season (as with any player, regardless of veteran status.) It's only if we cut him that we don't pay him, and I really don't see us finding a better tackle mid-season (unless he's hurt, in which case it's a moot point.)

BTW, Tarkus, I've been meaning to comment on your name / avatar for a while now. I listened to that album at a friend's house a few months ago, and it was pretty sweet.

It is good, but for my money "Brain Salad Surgery" is ELP's best ever! BTW, I think Tricky Dick Jauron needs some brain salad surgery.....

One big benefit of having Runyan on the team would be having him as a mentor to our young guys. There's something special about a guy who has played as many games as he has at a pretty high level; hopefully some of that work ethic would carry through to the rest of the line. It couldn't hurt, anyway.

I get the mentoring thing but Runyon is a RT. He doesn't help our need for a starting caliber LT, unless Everyone is OK with Bells limited experience. Or should I say lack of experience.

How do ANY of you people know whether or not D. Bell is the solution at Left Tackle?

He is very athletic, has great footwork and use of his hands...I think he will turn into a solid option at LT.

I am sure you didn't think Jason Peters was the solution either...but 2 pro-bowls says a lot. (I DO NOT care whether or not you think he deserved them, he made it to the pro-bowl, bottom line.)

How do ANY of you people know whether or not D. Bell is the solution at Left Tackle?

He is very athletic, has great footwork and use of his hands...I think he will turn into a solid option at LT.

I am sure you didn't think Jason Peters was the solution either...but 2 pro-bowls says a lot. (I DO NOT care whether or not you think he deserved them, he made it to the pro-bowl, bottom line.)

I don't know and haven't made any claims either way. But I think it's hilarious that you're calling out people for speculating that he's not the answer, then going on to speculate that he is the answer.