Does Schonert satisfy as a scape goat?

Hossage

Guest dog14787
It occurs to me that this change may seem inadequate to some. I mean does this make anyone feel better that there has been at least some attempt at correcting our problems?

We just put AVP in charge of an offense that's broken, a QB who has lost confidence, and an O-line that doesn't work. To top it all off our starting RB is out for the first 3 games and our new edition stud WR has barely even played through the preseason because of his toe and is probably more interested in whats going on in Dallas than at home with his new football team.

I'm thinking AVP and Jim kelly are stashed away somewhere getting so plastered AVP won't be able to see straight tomorrow. :unsure:(and talking strategies)

Guest dog14787
the only satisfaction Bills fans will get is when Jauron is finally fired

Its very possible had DJ started with a good OC none of this ever even happens. I realize the HC is responsible for his staff, but how much can we actually blame DJ for Shonert or AVP's promotion. I mean isn't that when a good GM steps in and tells his head coach, hey buddy, we need to find a new OC, I'll start shoping. Of course DJ wants to promote from within, this is one of his guys and despite all of DJ's qualities, he is loyal to a fault and looks after his own, so its a no win situation and a good GM should have stepped in and straightened this out long ago. :unsure:

Its very possible had DJ started with a good OC none of this ever even happens. I realize the HC is responsible for his staff, but how much can we actually blame DJ for Shonert or AVP's promotion. I mean isn't that when a good GM steps in and tells his head coach, hey buddy, we need to find a new OC, I'll start shoping. DJ is loyal to a fault, off course he wants to promote from within, this is one of his guys and despite all of DJ's qualities, he is loyal to a fault and looks after his own, so its a no win situation and a good GM should have stepped in and straightened this out long ago. :unsure:

I think on most teams the HC picks his assistant coaches. I know that is the case in Tampa & K.C. I remember a couple years ago Billick hired his buddy Fassel, then fired him.

Its very possible had DJ started with a good OC none of this ever even happens. I realize the HC is responsible for his staff, but how much can we actually blame DJ for Shonert or AVP's promotion. I mean isn't that when a good GM steps in and tells his head coach, hey buddy, we need to find a new OC, I'll start shoping. DJ is loyal to a fault, off course he wants to promote from within, this is one of his guys and despite all of DJ's qualities, he is loyal to a fault and looks after his own, so its a no win situation and a good GM should have stepped in and straightened this out long ago. :unsure:

Helps to actually have a GM.

Guest dog14787
Helps to actually have a GM.

Nawwww, no way, what ever gave you that idea, just because the last time we had a good football team, Bill Polian built it,

just a coincidence. :unsure:

It occurs to me that this change may seem inadequate to some. I mean does this make anyone feel better that there has been at least some attempt at correcting our problems?

I don't think DJ planned on making Turk-ey a scapegoat. I think Turk-ey's ego got the better of him and refused to admit his schemes and packages and multiple formations were too much for young Edwards and the young OL to digest. I think DJ gave him as much rope as he could, and Turk-ey refused to bend. Even Turk-ey admitted it in his interview himself, telling the world arrogantly that DJ wanted a Pop Warner offense and was on his case all summer.

Well, at least Schoenert doesn't have to worry about any stupid Head Coaches getting on his case this fall. And now I think DJ will instruct AVP to dumb things down so the young guys have a chance to succeed, and AVP will, because he is smart enough to know that simple can win from his back up days back in the mid 90's behind Kelly.

Scapegoats are not called for before the season opener has even kicked off. Besides, if the Bills suck, DJ will be gone himself, and none of this will matter anyway.

Had Jauron actually interviewed other OC candidates before he hired Turk, he might have found someone more competent. Who to hire as coaches, who to draft, what free agents to retain or acquire, what style of offense and defense to deploy - these are all big decisions and the Bills simply have made too many bad decsions over the past decade and they continue to do so.

Guest dog14787
Had Jauron actually interviewed other OC candidates before he hired Turk, he might have found someone more competent. Who to hire as coaches, who to draft, what free agents to retain or acquire, what style of offense and defense to deploy - these are all big decisions and the Bills simply have made too many bad decsions over the past decade and they continue to do so.

I don't disagree with what you are saying and with a good GM this kind of stuff doesn't happen. A good GM would not allow promoting from within, especially from a failing offense and If the HC can't understand why, he can head on down the road.

Its to bad we don't even have someone in that capacity. :unsure:

Its very possible had DJ started with a good OC none of this ever even happens. I realize the HC is responsible for his staff, but how much can we actually blame DJ for Shonert or AVP's promotion.

100% of it. He made the call and pulled the trigger.

I mean isn't that when a good GM steps in and tells his head coach, hey buddy, we need to find a new OC, I'll start shoping. Of course DJ wants to promote from within, this is one of his guys and despite all of DJ's qualities, he is loyal to a fault and looks after his own, so its a no win situation and a good GM should have stepped in and straightened this out long ago. :unsure:

While this is true to an extent, a bigger questions is: would it have mattered? Granted, a GM may have forced DJ to interview other candidates, but I doubt the GM would have been able to "force" DJ to accept an OC he did not want. IMHO, Turk would have gotten the job even if Jauron had interviewed others.

As for AVP's promotion, timing is a big issue. There is no way to interview, choose, and bring up to speed an "outsider" before the game next week.

Competence in the front office is surely in question, but I can't blame them for getting rid of a guy who wasn't working out. If we're going to blame them for all the bad decisions then blaming them for removing one of those doesn't really work.

The guy (Schonert) obviously doesn't understand the way the NFL works as he has effectively sunk his career in the NFL or certainly another coordinator position. How much ego does it take to "have" to speak out? To absolutely have to say something derogatory? Most guys get that you can say it to the people who actually matter (ie not the press). He didn't and I think it calls his decision making ability in play.

Guest dog14787
100% of it. He made the call and pulled the trigger.

While this is true to an extent, a bigger questions is: would it have mattered? Granted, a GM may have forced DJ to interview other candidates, but I doubt the GM would have been able to "force" DJ to accept an OC he did not want. IMHO, Turk would have gotten the job even if Jauron had interviewed others.

As for AVP's promotion, timing is a big issue. There is no way to interview, choose, and bring up to speed an "outsider" before the game next week.

AVP made sense under the circumstances, no doubt about it.

Its very possible had DJ started with a good OC none of this ever even happens. I realize the HC is responsible for his staff, but how much can we actually blame DJ for Shonert or AVP's promotion. I mean isn't that when a good GM steps in and tells his head coach, hey buddy, we need to find a new OC, I'll start shoping. Of course DJ wants to promote from within, this is one of his guys and despite all of DJ's qualities, he is loyal to a fault and looks after his own, so its a no win situation and a good GM should have stepped in and straightened this out long ago. :unsure:

This is how I felt till I saw Schonert's interview. I think Jauron had good reason for firing him, a disagreement over philosophy.

No knowing how it'll turn out though.