Sam Gash's comments on WGR

nodnarb

This is more of an indictment on Donahoe that it is anyone else. Donahoe had to know what was going on, but still let Williams finish the season as HC. This is Donahoe's 4th year... and for Wilson to justify keeing this phony, the bills are going to need to make some serious noise this season. I don't see that happening... and if it doesn't, I think Donahoe ought to do the right thing and resign... don't force Ralph to fire his ass and have to eat a year of his salary while he does his BS analysis for his buddies at espn. Donahoe needs to be thrown in O'reilly's "no spin zone" and confronted with his performance as the Bills GM over tha past 3 plus years.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what else was interesting was that SG said that the entire offense wanted Les Steckle to be handed the reigns to the offense midway through the season. They clammored for this. They thought they could go to the playoffs with Steckle calling the plays.

He also said that the offensive players knew there were BIG problems coming after game 4 or 5!!! Thats after the two big wins in weeks 1 & 2, which he said was just alot of smoke and mirrors.

Most of us were saying the same thing last year and did not even have the benefit of this insight. How could GW drop the ball on such and obvious decision. He HAD to know he was putting his job in jeopardy. Maybe he just didn't enjoy being here?

This "new" revelation should come as a shock to nobody. Geesh, does anyone really think that this team sucked on their own without the assistance of a (*^*&%^$^#in charge of the offense? You know it's bad when someone watching the game with you, that has no clue about football, says "why did they just do that, that's dumb". We can all be thankful that KG is no longer with us and unfortunately we won't get to face him this year either. I think that there would be bloodshed on the Giant's sideline from some of the players on the Bills defense.

In a way, I almost have to respect what GW did. He stuck by his assistants, though it cost him his job. If I remember correctly, didn't that happen a couple years ago with Bum's son and the Special Team coach? IMO, it isn't the GM's job to tell the head coach what to do, what to call or who to hire, though he can offer suggestions. After GW canned his first OC, I don't believe he wanted to make the same mistake again by hiring someone who wasn't experienced in the league, so he took one of the few OC's that were available in Killadrive. Who knew it would turn out so bad. He actually did have success previously sans the incident with Buddy.

All in all, just another reason to believe that this season will be much more exciting this year than last year. I truelly believe that the Bills have a very good chance to continue playing past January 2nd. In the AFC, the are only 2-3 teams that you look at and say, "they have a good team", which is why, on any given Sunday, who knows what will happen. I'm hoping for the best.

Just remember, there were several Bledsoe interviews in Last year's camp and early in the season where he expressed his excitement and appreciation for Gilbride's offense and how "they were really on the same page".  I think Drew enjoyed the downfield looks but hopefully he has come to realize that he has his limitations now.  It sounds like he has really bought into the Pound it out theory whereas last year, he didn't.

8260[/snapback]

What do you think he should have said in the beginning of the year? "We are running the same crap that almost got me killed the end of last year. He continues to try and pound a round peg into a square hole." Give me a break. Let it go man. It is not Drew's fault. Let it go.

Gosh DeeRay, I do not want to deny your right to be frustrated with TD's results, but did you read the summary of Gash's comments? TD chose to let GW make his decisions because to try to micromanage the team would make it hard to get a good coach in the future. I really do not understand the hostility to TD. We are all frustrated with not winning, but the same people who say he should have immediately canned GW also appear to be those who claim that TD is too much of a micromanager whose ego is dooming the team. They can't both be true....

Go Bills!

This is more of an indictment on Donahoe that it is anyone else.  Donahoe had to know what was going on, but still let Williams finish the season as HC.  This is Donahoe's 4th year... and for Wilson to justify keeing this phony, the bills are going to need to make some serious noise this season. I don't see that happening... and if it doesn't, I think Donahoe ought to do the right thing and resign... don't force Ralph to fire his ass and have to eat a year of his salary while he does his BS analysis for his buddies at espn.  Donahoe needs to be thrown in O'reilly's "no spin zone" and confronted with his performance as the Bills GM over tha past 3 plus years.

8656[/snapback]

This is more of an indictment on Donahoe that it is anyone else.  Donahoe had to know what was going on, but still let Williams finish the season as HC.  This is Donahoe's 4th year... and for Wilson to justify keeing this phony, the bills are going to need to make some serious noise this season. I don't see that happening... and if it doesn't, I think Donahoe ought to do the right thing and resign... don't force Ralph to fire his ass and have to eat a year of his salary while he does his BS analysis for his buddies at espn.  Donahoe needs to be thrown in O'reilly's "no spin zone" and confronted with his performance as the Bills GM over tha past 3 plus years.

8656[/snapback]

Ralph is there most of the time during the season also....why stop at the GM why not indict the owner in this to. Where was Ralph? <_<

A head coach needs to control his staff. The GM/President has enough to do with NFL, talent and team administration responsibilities. Look no further than Oakland to see what happens when you have a meddling owner or front office staff....you end up with rejects from coaches like Sean Payton and Norv Turner as your head coach....Instead the Bills job ended up being one of the most sought after jobs this past off-season. We could have had anyone we interviewed, although waiting for Weis may have hurt from a staff perspective--we could have had him...we chose Mike Mularkey who had rejected the Raiders and Bengals in the past....TD is a big reason why Mularkey is here...

First off....If I ever seen Kevin Gilbride in person I WILL take a swing at him!

8231[/snapback]

AYE :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Killdrive.

If this interview had been done a few weeks earlier, I would have driven down to Giants camp and taken that swing at him for you John. Or at least heckled him from the fence until security took me away. <_<

Damn you Gilbride, you b@st@rd. Thanks for nothing, you piece of stevestojan.

Gosh DeeRay, I do not want to deny your right to be frustrated with TD's results, but did you read the summary of Gash's comments? TD chose to let GW make his decisions because to try to micromanage the team would make it hard to get a good coach in the future. I really do not understand the hostility to TD. We are all frustrated with not winning, but the same people who say he should have immediately canned GW also appear to be those who claim that TD is too much of a micromanager whose ego is dooming the team. They can't both be true....

Go Bills!

8761[/snapback]

Put this together with the fact that Phillips departure was predicated by Ralph insisting that he fire an assistant and I wonder if ended up with Williams in part because "quality" coaches were looking at the Bills as being a team that micro-managed its coaches and over-ruled their decisions (and thus not answering the calls or turning down the job...).

Put this together with the fact that Phillips departure was predicated by Ralph insisting that he fire an assistant and I wonder if ended up with Williams in part because "quality" coaches were looking at the Bills as being a team that micro-managed its coaches and over-ruled their decisions (and thus not answering the calls or turning down the job...).

8790[/snapback]

I think you are correct there, Dan. At the very least, I can understand why TD wanted to avoid any such appearance.

I really think that any Bills fan who thinks that TD is a horrible GM should be forced to stay after school and write "Stew Barber" 500 times, followed by 500 more of "Terry Bledsoe..."

Go Bills!

Bledsoe should have changed the calls in the huddle.  That's what a leader would do if they believed the coaches were not calling a good game.

8878[/snapback]

Maybe he should have spoken out of his A$$--that is what internet posters do.

To assert that he should have "just changed plays" ignores the fact that he would have to work with the players that had been sent onto the field... and also ignores the fact that virtually no QB in the NFL calls his own plays. Not to mention the fact that Gash, who was there, does not raise that possibility, suggesting that he knows a bit more about how plays are actually called in the NFL.

But hey, why let things like that get in the way of taking an irrelevant shot at Bledsoe?

I really think that any Bills fan who thinks that TD is a horrible GM should be forced to stay after school and write "Stew Barber" 500 times, followed by 500 more of "Terry Bledsoe..."

You know, the Bills may be victims of their own success and have drawn front runner fans who only want to follow a winner. For those of us who lived through the mostly awful years from 1967-1986, being a Bills fan was a labor of love. There were no front runners rooting for the Bills. Some of those teams were beyond embarassing but there I was every Sunday hoping that magically this was the week that Perry Tuttle would live up to his reputation or that Walt Patulski would finally get a sack. I remember us picking up players off the waiver wire the week before the season and they would start opening day.

However, our success in the late 80's through the mid 90's drew a new sort of fan; the type of fan who would have been Cowboy fans a decade earlier or whatever team was winning at the moment. Everybody knew guys like that when you were kids- they were always rooting for whoever was winning at the moment. Now, some of them are stuck with the Bills as their team and can not handle a little adversity. No slow rebuilding program for them. Success now or we fire your ass and start a new rebuilding program. Organizations run that way start to look like the San Diego Chargers in a hurry. It is hard for us old-time Bills fans to realize that those sorts of fans would follow the Bills. Believe me, there were no front-runners rooting for the Bills in 1969 or 1984. So, to all of you, sorry that the Bills are not winning every year to your satisfaction. I hope it doesn't have a negative effect on your egos. For the rest of us, seeing the talent that Donohoe has assembled in this salary cap era and the realistic hope that we can go a long way if things fall right this year is good enough for many of us.

Bledsoe should have changed the calls in the huddle.  That's what a leader would do if they believed the coaches were not calling a good game.

8878[/snapback]

Thankyou for giving me a coffee covered monitor screen.

LOL!! :o

<_<

Sam is on WGR pulling no punches. He said last year was The Lost Season for one reason and one reason alone: Kevin Gilbride and his failure to use our personnel to the best of their abilities. He said that every week the guys would complain about the playcalling and offer constructive criticism...and every week he gave them lip service. He'd tell them we're going to pound pound pound on the ground, and then gameday came and it was pass pass pass. Sam Gash split wide, passing on 3rd and short, and constanly putting the offense in 3rd and long.

He said that in almost every game there were critical, game-important calls where they were in the huddle, and everyone looked at each other as if to say, "this play isn't going to work". Folks, there's no way any offense can operate with those thoughts in their heads. It's amazing we won 6 games.

It wasn't Bledsoe or the receivers or the OLine as much as it was coaching and coordinating. I know, we all suspect that this was Thing One, but I do believe that our coaches TODAY will always put our players in the best position to succeed.

Listening to everything he's saying, I'm astounded, and I am officially the Chairman of the I hate Kevin Gilbride club. Buddy Ryan's portrait will be the organization's Seal.

Who's with me? Say AYE.

8214[/snapback]