What if the No Huddle is a ruse?

Yeah switching to a conventional offense will really throw off the Pats. I don't know how they could adjust.

Yes, I agree, but what if they are working on something like the Wildcat or something all together different? Don't underestimate the desperation of this staff. Jauron knows this is his last chance to remain a head coach. If he gets fired, he will never be an NFL head coach again and he knows it. They have something up their sleeves for the Pats. This whole No Huddle thing was a joke from the beginning.

with a whole different offensive game plan? They aren't fooling me.

You my friend are in stage one: denial.

1) Denial (this isn't happening to me!)

2) Anger (why is this happening to me?)

3) Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)

4) Depression (I don't care anymore)

5) Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)

I hope everything works out for you during what must be a very difficult time. Good luck to all of us.

I hope everything works out for you during what must be a very difficult time. Good luck to all of us.

Hilarious!!

I don't understand how people can start every new Bills season at number 1 on this list. The Bills have blown ass for a decade. They have had the same HC for 4 years and did nothing in the offseason except add a WR.

I have been at stage 5 for about 5 years now. I cheer for them every week and hope they do well, but in the end I know what is coming.

I don't understand how people can start every new Bills season at number 1 on this list. The Bills have blown ass for a decade. They have had the same HC for 4 years and did nothing in the offseason except add a WR.

I have been at stage 5 for about 5 years now. I cheer for them every week and hope they do well, but in the end I know what is coming.

I'm a solid #5 with hints of delusion regularly accompanied by anger and confusion.

Yes, I agree, but what if they are working on something like the Wildcat or something all together different? Don't underestimate the desperation of this staff. Jauron knows this is his last chance to remain a head coach. If he gets fired, he will never be an NFL head coach again and he knows it. They have something up their sleeves for the Pats. This whole No Huddle thing was a joke from the beginning.

They may be desperate but they are not innovative by nature. The no huddle is their idea of being innovative. DJ has never been an innovative type of coach. He has been a conservative, play not to lose coach who gets his players to play hard for him. That is all you are going to get. The coordinators are both first time coordinators who spent most of their careers as position coaches because no one saw any huge potential for them before DJ came along.

It wasn't always this way. When Levy was HC he hired Ted Marchibroda to be OC. He was a former and future HC who was always very innovative on offense (K gun, etc.). Later Levy had Wade Phillips, another former and future HC, as DC. So instead of looking for former HC's as coordinators or former coordinators as coordinators, we look for position coaches to be coordinators and learn on the job.

Its all about money for RW, but it wasn't always this way for the Bills. At one time we paid for top assistant coaches.

no. This late in august, they would want to have their timing down and blocking looking sharp. The defense would want to see pressure with certain packages, etc.

There are still major problems.

Defense:

So far, they have shown ZERO pass rush, attutude or identity.

There is NO leader on that side of the ball. And that is really important. Pitt has Troy, Chargers has Merriman, Miami has Porter, Pats have Teddy B., etc..

The great Bills teams of the 1990s of course had Leonard Smith, Bruce, Henry Jones, etc. Stroud was supposed to be that guy -- but for whatever reason, he is mentally disinterested. POZ is a role player at best. A poor mans Keith Brooking. 1/3 the player of Urlacher. 1/2 the player Zach Thomas was in his day. As the MIDDLE GUY -- you need to be a force and kill people. THe unit as a whole, tackles really well. Donte is a hell of a tackler -- but not a playmaker. Leonis is the gem of the unit. He will have a strong season -- but he is only as good as a pass rush can make him. Shoebel could get the passer b/k he had a great first step. He is undersized to play the end on run plays. His body has been beat to hell. I dont know if his frist step is still there. Kyle Williams is a real player. He is an absolute force IMO. But Kelsey and Denny are weeklings who are usuall standing with their hands on their hips after and during almost every play on the field -- unless the play is directed exactly at them. Denny would make a great long snapper on STs -- that is about it. THose two should be in the Cananian League. Maybin is the future force -- but he a rookie who only played one season of college. He is green still. These are great generalizations of course, but on balance, they seem rather fair, merited and reasonable. No all pros, no turnovers, no emotion, no identity.

Offense:

The line looks like the same patchwork we have been stuck with since 1997 -- when Robert Hicks was the "savior." When you play the Pats, you face Seymore, Wilfork and Green -- as FIRST ROUND HELL RAISING SOBs.

The TE play and blocking is average. The RBS seems fine. But they never make it to the second level for two reasons. First, the WRs need to stay on their blocks. TO will help this-- as he might be the best WR blocker in the game. Second, there is ZERO threat of a passing game. The QB doesnt scare anyone. His release is accurate but has no zip on it Defenses pack the box with eight and poor Edwards cant get the ball out in 3, 5, or 7 step dropbacks with any authoirty. Pass protection is bad - -but Trent just doen'st have any zip in his arm. Matt Ryan, Flacco and Brady Quinn and other rookie sensations can rely on their arm to get them out of trouble. It is apparent to me that Trent needs to roll out, boot legs, etc. He is lilke a taller Jake Plumber IMO. I dont think Edwards is the pocket passer we thought he was. His reads are average, his arm is average, is footwork is so-so, his ability to create an extra minute to make a play is non-apparent. With a patchwork line -- the QB needs to be special in arm strenght or footwork. Manning, when the Colts were first building -- always had great footwork in the pocket (knowing when to step up into the pocket or get the hell out of a colapsing one).

I have never been the eternal optimist type, but after watching last night I am convinced the Bills cannot be that bad, and they are holding everything back for what they have instore for the Patriots and the opener.

They just can't be that bad.

Can they?

I have too much pride to get past Phase 2.

I've been angry about the Bills for the past 10 seasons...

I mean, Farrior's comments almost had ME punching a hole in the wall...

Why do none of the Bills react this way?

I just watched the NFL Channel replay of the first three quarters and all I know is, THAT is NO "no-huddle" offense out there. Aside from maybe three total plays (all of which went for 10+ yards), the Bills lazily made their way back to the LOS and Trent spent 10+ seconds behind center before the ball was snapped.

Sorry, but I can't believe even a coaching staff as inept as ours would allow the no-huddle to run that slowly, unless it was on purpose. My uneducated opinion is this: The Bills coaches on the sideline look to see what the defense looks like when the Bills all get back to the LOS, and THAT is what they go to the film room with. And yeah, this is reaching slightly, but with the Patriots* as the first game of the season, on Monday Night, there really is a reason to believe that they are holding their cards UNUSUALLY close to the vest. I mean, what do they have to lose by keeping some plays restricted to the practice field? They (DJ and his coaches) all know that this is their last go.

If the Bills come out on September 14th and the no-huddle looks like it has this pre-season, I'll eat my shorts. That's how confident I am that they have plans to go from 1st gear to 4th gear and blow everyone away who had nothing but this vanilla fudge version to watch as they prepare for us.

Now "Footsteps" Trent Edwards is another story, entirely. His tentativeness is NOT part of the Preseason game plan. His staying in the pocket and forcing throws underneath, rather than busting out a five-ten-yard run...well, THAT might be part of the game plan.

I disagree. If this team was a winning one, with all pros across the board and playoff experince in the locker room -- you would be right. however, these is the complete opposite. This the same hodgepodge, mixed-matched. patchwork roster that is has been since the Bills lost in Tennessee on the homerun pitchback play. that cursed this team and francise for a decade. they are finally adding good players to the roster with prodcutive drafts. but they are still a bunch of clowns on both sides of the ball. and still have poor talent at the key positions on the field -- defensive end; OL (center and RT), TE and QB!

I just watched the NFL Channel replay of the first three quarters and all I know is, THAT is NO "no-huddle" offense out there. Aside from maybe three total plays (all of which went for 10+ yards), the Bills lazily made their way back to the LOS and Trent spent 10+ seconds behind center before the ball was snapped.

Sorry, but I can't believe even a coaching staff as inept as ours would allow the no-huddle to run that slowly, unless it was on purpose. My uneducated opinion is this: The Bills coaches on the sideline look to see what the defense looks like when the Bills all get back to the LOS, and THAT is what they go to the film room with. And yeah, this is reaching slightly, but with the Patriots* as the first game of the season, on Monday Night, there really is a reason to believe that they are holding their cards UNUSUALLY close to the vest. I mean, what do they have to lose by keeping some plays restricted to the practice field? They (DJ and his coaches) all know that this is their last go.

If the Bills come out on September 14th and the no-huddle looks like it has this pre-season, I'll eat my shorts. That's how confident I am that they have plans to go from 1st gear to 4th gear and blow everyone away who had nothing but this vanilla fudge version to watch as they prepare for us.

Now "Footsteps" Trent Edwards is another story, entirely. His tentativeness is NOT part of the Preseason game plan. His staying in the pocket and forcing throws underneath, rather than busting out a five-ten-yard run...well, THAT might be part of the game plan.

I have been a stage 5 for a long time but rose to a level three during the 5-1 start last year then went to a 4 when they went in the tank and have now returned to my rightful place at a 5.