Trade for Derek Anderson

I never said that I held exclusive domain on watching him play, just that I've seen a lot of him over the last three seasons (probably around 23, 24 of his games in a Cleveland uniform) and I've seen more than enough evidence that he is not a good QB and that 2007 was the exception and not the rule.

As for him forcing the ball into coverage - we're not talking Jim Kelly's "I can make any throw" swagger/bravado. It's more like a "hey, there's one of our guys, ooops, didn't see those defenders around him" or just poor throws. I think DA is a less athletic version of JP with similar accuracy and touch.

Don't mistake my disdain for DA as some sort of endorsement or defense of TE. I'm just of the opinion that DA is not a good QB and that he would not be an upgrade over TE.

Braylon Edwards is extremely disappointing as a supposed no.1 WR, but in fairness he is an equal opportunity drive killer - he drops passes no matter which QB is throwing to him.

There you go. Now that's how you legitimately post in an argument. I'm sick and tired of people making claims on these boards like, "Derek Anderson is NOT a good QB." And then leaving it there.

I thoroughly enjoyed your retort. You made great points. I like how you didn't have to prove that Trent was better, you just solidified that Anderson was not good. After reading your post, I get the message you actually know what you're talking about.

I don't exactly agree with your Kelly's swagger to awful decision spectrum, as I've seen Anderson thread the needle on multiple occasions, and I've witnessed him toss around some Kelly like bombs, but I think you're more right than wrong when you say that season was a fluke.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ship is leaking and the engine room is on fire.....but we can make it!!!! :thumbsup:

That's life as a Bills fan. Go into the season optimistic that things will fall into place, only to watch our team hit us with one gut punch after another.

And yet we come back for more.

That's life as a Bills fan. Go into the season optimistic that things will fall into place, only to watch our team hit us with one gut punch after another.

And yet we come back for more.

I'm right there with you my friend...but 10 years...soon to be 11 with no playoffs is ridiculous!!!

They keep telling us it's sirloin, but we all know it's frozen hamburger patties.

There you go. Now that's how you legitimately post in an argument. I'm sick and tired of people making claims on these boards like, "Derek Anderson is NOT a good QB." And then leaving it there.

I thoroughly enjoyed your retort. You made great points. I like how you didn't have to prove that Trent was better, you just solidified that Anderson was not good. After reading your post, I get the message you actually know what you're talking about.

I don't exactly agree with your Kelly's swagger to awful decision spectrum, as I've seen Anderson thread the needle on multiple occasions, and I've witnessed him toss around some Kelly like bombs, but I think you're more right than wrong when you say that season was a fluke.

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

FWIW, my original reply was not meant as one of those standard one-line replies. Just frustration after another poor preseason game (which I thankfully missed) and the suggestion that we bring in (another) Browns QB, one I believe might unite Bills fans in running him out of town after the honeymoon wears off.

I suspect the truth to the DA decision-making discussion lies somewhere in the middle of our positions. I will admit this - when DA was on for much of 2007, he did look very good for much of the year. When he was on he did thread the needle, did throw the ball all over the place, even perfectly drop in the long bombs. But when he struggled, he struggled big time, and that's when the bad throws and decisions started showing up, and in 08 really reared their ugly head.

I'm right there with you my friend...but 10 years...soon to be 11 with no playoffs is ridiculous!!!

They keep telling us it's sirloin, but we all know it's frozen hamburger patties.

You get no argument here.

I cling to the hope that the Bills' eventual return to glory and success will only be that much sweeter, given our recent playoff drought.

If Russ had any Nutz, he'd pull the trigger and make it happen.

Anderson had one good year and has been in the league how long and looked how bad last year? his career is a lot like Jaurons as a head coach, one good year

Anderson had one good year and has been in the league how long and looked how bad last year? his career is a lot like Jaurons as a head coach, one good year

Just because I love being the devil's advocate... How many good years did Trent have again? Zero. It's funny but at least JP will walk away with one above average season.

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0023645

http://www.nfl.com/players/trentedwards/profile?id=EDW720778

27 starts to 23 for Edwards...I've seen a lot more from Anderson then Edwards...and he doesn't play like a lost little girl.

Enough of the Captain Checkdown dump off specials.

I don't want to get a QB who might be arguably better than Trent Edwards, I want a star QB. There's no reason burning more picks for another placeholder.

oh, you mean like JAY CUTLER? Who we didn't even try going after because Jesus Edwards is entrenched as the starter?

I don't want to get a QB who might be arguably better than Trent Edwards, I want a star QB. There's no reason burning more picks for another placeholder.

We dont need a "star" QB...last year we were 7-9 and in 8 of our nine losses we right there in the game DESPITE very poor QB play from both JP and Trent in those losses. This team is talented enough to win with a solid QB, doesnt have to be a star, just someone who can move the ball with all these weapons.

Just because I love being the devil's advocate... How many good years did Trent have again? Zero. It's funny but at least JP will walk away with one above average season.

Exactly...here is the best part about Trentative Christ...he didnt even have a great season in college...he hasnt had a great season at any level since High School. During that run, he has ONE, JUST ONE 300 yard game since HIGH SCHOOL!!! He has never moved the ball...

Plus you've got the one season that Anderson had. You know, the one Trent will most likely never attain:

298 527 56.5 3787 82.5 29 19 + Pro Bowl.

I don't know where you decided that, Anderson is NOT a good QB. But he's a season removed from throwing for almost 30 touchdowns.

Did you forget the fact that the Browns drafted a 1st round O-Lineman, who was a Rookie Pro-Bowl LT that year???

Did you forget the fact that the Browns had a WR and a TE who racked up 2,400 yards and 21 TD's between them???

Did you forget the fact that the Browns had a RB who amassed 1,500 total yards, 4.5 ypc and 11 total TD's???

Did you forget the fact that the Browns sent the WR and TE, as well as their Kick Returner, to the Pro-Bowl that year???

ALL OF THIS goes without mentioning...Derek Anderson CAN THROW THE BALL DEEP DOWNFIELD!!!

*I just DO NOT think HE is the solution to our Quarterback problem. I want to wait and give Trent this year to see what he can do with some new weapons and more responsibilities and freedom to just play with his football IQ.

Otherwise, I WANT TIM TEBOW!

Exactly...here is the best part about Trentative Christ...he didnt even have a great season in college...he hasnt had a great season at any level since High School. During that run, he has ONE, JUST ONE 300 yard game since HIGH SCHOOL!!! He has never moved the ball...

...but he's a winner! :lol:

Did you forget the fact that the Browns drafted a 1st round O-Lineman, who was a Rookie Pro-Bowl LT that year???

Did you forget the fact that the Browns had a WR and a TE who racked up 2,400 yards and 21 TD's between them???

Did you forget the fact that the Browns had a RB who amassed 1,500 total yards, 4.5 ypc and 11 total TD's???

Did you forget the fact that the Browns sent the WR and TE, as well as their Kick Returner, to the Pro-Bowl that year???

ALL OF THIS goes without mentioning...Derek Anderson CAN THROW THE BALL DEEP DOWNFIELD!!!

*I just DO NOT think HE is the solution to our Quarterback problem. I want to wait and give Trent this year to see what he can do with some new weapons and more responsibilities and freedom to just play with his football IQ.

Otherwise, I WANT TIM TEBOW!

Did you forget that Trent had a two time Pro Bowl LT during his 2 years as QB?

Did you forget that under JP Losman and Drew Bledsoe that Lee Evans had 24 TD's in his first 3 years and averaged 8 per year and in two years under Trent he has just 8 total (some of which were thrown by JP Losman while Trent was hurt) ?

Did you forget that for Winslow and Edwards to amass such good totals it took the QUARTERBACK to get them the ball?

Did you forget that the Cle passing offense was so prolific that it allowed Lewis all those running lanes to amass those numbers, which he since has not had?

Did you forget we have one of the most talented backfields in football to support Trent?

I guess you're right. I mean how can you really judge mediocre quarterbacks. I'll try though. Anderson vs. Edwards = 1-0. Quinn vs. Edwards = 1-0. It's a small sample size, sure...but I'm having my doubts.

Plus you've got the one season that Anderson had. You know, the one Trent will most likely never attain:

298 527 56.5 3787 82.5 29 19 + Pro Bowl.

I don't know where you decided that, Anderson is NOT a good QB. But he's a season removed from throwing for almost 30 touchdowns. In 23 starts, Edwards has 18.

But, I'm sorry...you're right. He is [CAPS LOCK] NOT [/CAPS LOCK] a good QB.

The only image I get when remembering that season of Anderson's is JP Losman's 2006 season....

A blind mouse finds the cheese once in a while. That was the case with JP, that was the case with Anderson, and its looking to be the case with Edwards.

The ship is leaking and the engine room is on fire.....but we can make it!!!! :lol:

Trent Edwards has been hit more times than Pat LaFontaine and is probably suffering from concussion related problems - which is not going to get any better with the newb shuffle on the OL.

id let edwards sink or swim this season.

probably will have a choice of some great QBs in the draft if Edwards fails

agreed...figuring another 7-9 or worse season, there will be plenty of qb's to draft (McCoy, Tebow, Bradford)

Did you forget that Trent had a two time Pro Bowl LT during his 2 years as QB?

Did you forget that under JP Losman and Drew Bledsoe that Lee Evans had 24 TD's in his first 3 years and averaged 8 per year and in two years under Trent he has just 8 total (some of which were thrown by JP Losman while Trent was hurt) ?

Did you forget that for Winslow and Edwards to amass such good totals it took the QUARTERBACK to get them the ball?

Did you forget that the Cle passing offense was so prolific that it allowed Lewis all those running lanes to amass those numbers, which he since has not had?

Did you forget we have one of the most talented backfields in football to support Trent?

Nope. I am well aware of all of that. In fact, that was my point. Anderson was only sooo good, because Lewis had Defenses stacking the line, and Winslow drew double teams from Edwards. They also had a Red Zone threat in Jurevicious. But, if Trent can't do any better with what you mentioned, what makes you think Anderson would succeed here??? He had MUCH more in Cleveland, than he would have in Buffalo right now.

That gets me thinking...your point above is not even relevant, since you want Anderson now, not 2 years ago.