Why aren't our QBs taught to carry out fakes?

Beerball

Watching Indy on NFL channel and Manning is so smooth with the ball. His fakes aren't those half assed hold the ball at arm's length close to the RB fakes that I see from Buffalo. All you have to do is get 1/2 of a mis-step by a defender for the receiver to break open.

his handoffs are famous. his play action is probably the best of any pro QB in the games history. as we know, to have good play action, you need to have a real running game. indy has that. they are professional there in indy. they practice (tom moore and line coach howard mudd) every detail of a running play. the bills seem to jsut lineup and RUN. indy are tactical and it shows. smart, smart OL help. jeff saturday is the modern day kent hull. a smallish center who can block albert haynseworth; and can pull out of his stance with great speed and run over a LB on another play. saturday, like hull, and many of the smallish bronco lineman of the last 15 years, are good with their leverage. technique, balance and being able to angle bigger guys off using physics -- NOT BRUT POWER. jeff saturday -- what a player!

Watching Indy on NFL channel and Manning is so smooth with the ball. His fakes aren't those half assed hold the ball at arm's length close to the RB fakes that I see from Buffalo. All you have to do is get 1/2 of a mis-step by a defender for the receiver to break open.

his handoffs are famous. his play action is probably the best of any pro QB in the games history. as we know, to have good play action, you need to have a real running game. indy has that. they are professional there in indy. they practice (tom moore and line coach howard mudd) every detail of a running play. the bills seem to jsut lineup and RUN. indy are tactical and it shows. smart, smart OL help. jeff saturday is the modern day kent hull. a smallish center who can block albert haynseworth; and can pull out of his stance with great speed and run over a LB on another play. saturday, like hull, and many of the smallish bronco lineman of the last 15 years, are good with their leverage. technique, balance and being able to angle bigger guys off using physics -- NOT BRUT POWER. jeff saturday -- what a player!

So you get ESPN the Magazine, too, eh?

lol. good point.

i remember james "big cat" williams -- RT for the bears years ago. he was a mean sob.

comparing the best to , is a benchmark. this gives perspective. bills dont seem to have a running game, a passing game or inturn, playaction. good teams have good coaches. good coaches teach these things to good players that they draft by being good talent evaulators. good creates good. bills might have bad creating bad. for 12 years now...

So because one of the greatest QB's in the history of the league demonstrates flawless mechanics, our coaches suck? Yeah, that seems about right for these parts.

So because one of the greatest QB's in the history of the league demonstrates flawless mechanics, our coaches suck? Yeah, that seems about right for these parts.

Do you feel that play fakes are an unimportant part of the game?

Or do you feel that Edwards in incapable of carrying out a decent fake?

IIRC, the coaching staff was concerned about the interior of the OL and having the QB turn his back to the LOS. I can't remember many PA passes, but it is Turk Schonert we're talking about. Screens, slants, PA, none of it is necessary.

You really seem to have "the book" on Turk after one year in Dick Jauron's system.

Do you feel that play fakes are an unimportant part of the game?

Yes. And bunting is an important part of baseball. But if you don't have baserunners, there's no point in doing it. If we can't establish an aspect of our offense, running or passing, then there's really nothing to "fake" out the opponent with.

You can scream until your blue in the face that said failure to establish anything is the fault of the coaches, but I stand firm that it begins and ends with the talent you put on the field.

Or do you feel that Edwards in incapable of carrying out a decent fake?

No, but if Manning is the benchmark by which "decent" fakes are measured, yes.

After two years in the league, Trent Edwards is not as good as Peyton Manning. There's a surprise. To tie that "failure" on the coaching staff is just plain silly.

Yes. And bunting is an important part of baseball. But if you don't have baserunners, there's no point in doing it. If we can't establish an aspect of our offense, running or passing, then there's really nothing to "fake" out the opponent with.

You can scream until your blue in the face that said failure to establish anything is the fault of the coaches, but I stand firm that it begins and ends with the talent you put on the field.

No, but if Manning is the benchmark by which "decent" fakes are measured, yes.

After two years in the league, Trent Edwards is not as good as Peyton Manning. There's a surprise. To tie that "failure" on the coaching staff is just plain silly.

I didn't, but I don't blame those that did. It is a small but important part of the game. Any...ANY advantage that our offense can gain over the defense would be welcome. One half step, one moment of hesitation on the part of the defense might make the difference.

I didn't, but I don't blame those that did. It is a small but important part of the game. Any...ANY advantage that our offense can gain over the defense would be welcome. One half step, one moment of hesitation on the part of the defense might make the difference.

So many teams in the league take advantage of the little things and for some reason we don't. We can't even use our timeouts correctly.

You really seem to have "the book" on Turk after one year in Dick Jauron's system.

Is it Turk's offense in DJ's system or merely Turk's offense? I simply can't recall seeing a lot of those types of plays last season.

He's not a "rookie" coordinator. After all, he'll remind us he knew Bill Walsh. ;)

Is it Turk's offense in DJ's system or merely Turk's offense? I simply can't recall seeing a lot of those types of plays last season.

He's not a "rookie" coordinator. After all, he'll remind us he knew Bill Walsh. ;)

I haven't liked a whole lot from what I have seen from Turk's offense, so far. But he has only been an OC for one year, and it was under Dick Jauron. So, I don't feel comfortable making sweeping statements about what might, or might not, be important to Turk's offense. Not quite yet, at least.