Great News!

Fewell733

11-5 here we come!

It really is the worst magazine I've ever received through the mail. But it's actually so bad and so repeatedly wrong that it does serve as a reverse barometer to the truth. So be heartened, we're a shoe-in for a wildcard spot

I think you define truth as endless pessimism. what did you think our record would be last year out of curiosity?

Or, do you define truth as pessimism because maybe you can't handle reality? Just being realistic. "Hope" is not a strategy.

You must be a newbie. I know bad fish when I smell it. I've been a fan long enough to see them win AFL championships, AFC Division crowns, and 4 AFC crowns. So, I know what championship teams look and smell like... and this team ain't anywhere close to any of the the tams of the mis 60's, early 80's and the 90's.

BIlls go 8-8 again and get another nice defensive line player. then they get shannahan, cowher or gruden as a coach...

this team still needs two or three dynamic game changing players. edwards is a the biggest question mark on the club. he has DONE NOTHING since getting his head smashed in against arizona. After that game -- he has been timid and clueless. He ought to go watch joe flaco manage a game. doesnt help that trent's defense and special teams are hideous. trent is forced to play each series from terrible field position. he constantly has pressure in his face and has no real running game to rely on. poor bastard...

BIlls go 8-8 again and get another nice defensive line player. then they get shannahan, cowher or gruden as a coach...

this team still needs two or three dynamic game changing players. edwards is a the biggest question mark on the club. he has DONE NOTHING since getting his head smashed in against arizona. After that game -- he has been timid and clueless. He ought to go watch joe flaco manage a game. doesnt help that trent's defense and special teams are hideous. trent is forced to play each series from terrible field position. he constantly has pressure in his face and has no real running game to rely on. poor bastard...

Hideus special teams?

Bad comparison with Joe Flacco. He has a big time NFL arm. Trent can't model his game after him. He needs to look at a guy like Pennington who was an effective if not big armed QB.

Or, do you define truth as pessimism because maybe you can't handle reality? Just being realistic. "Hope" is not a strategy.

You must be a newbie. I know bad fish when I smell it. I've been a fan long enough to see them win AFL championships, AFC Division crowns, and 4 AFC crowns. So, I know what championship teams look and smell like... and this team ain't anywhere close to any of the the tams of the mis 60's, early 80's and the 90's.

first, who said anything about championships?

second, teams often emerge from mediocrity to come close, if not win it all. The Cardinals were a play or two away from a title just last year. To deny this is to ignore much of the history of the NFL.

You seem to believe you know the future. I don't claim to.

From an objective standpoint I struggle to see how the team is worse than last year. And last year we had 7 wins.

As for optimism being something akin to not facing "reality" - I would say that pessimism is false strength. You want to cling to some kind of certainty about the unknowable and it's probably gotten too painful for you to even hope for the best.

And I'm not a newbie. I've been a fan since my first conscious memories of football (mid 80s) and have been on this board for 8 years under various forgotten names and passwords.

i'm talking about managing the game. knowing when to take a sack, when to throw a ball out of bounds, how to sell playaciton, how to carry yourself as a young man on the field and as the teams field general.

to the poster before you, you are correct, the bills have great STs. i amend that.

Bad comparison with Joe Flacco. He has a big time NFL arm. Trent can't model his game after him. He needs to look at a guy like Pennington who was an effective if not big armed QB.

From an objective standpoint I struggle to see how the team is worse than last year. And last year we had 7 wins.

7 wins vs. last year's much easier schedule. Regardless of if the Bills have improved or not, their schedule, on paper, is a lot harder than last year's.

1st in punt return average and 7th in kick return average in the NFL. 2nd in covering kickoffs, but only 23rd covering punts. 14th on defense in yards given up per game. 25th in offensive yards gained per game.

I can't find the team statistics for average starting field position last season, but I doubt that the Bills were at the bottom of the list, and in any event there's usually something around 7-8 yards between the best and worst avg. starting field position in the league. It's a ridiculous and unsupportable argument that he had it significantly worse than any or even most other qb's as far as field position goes.

The problem with Trent is that he has been hideous against all but the very worst defenses, certainly not that the blame for his performance lays with the defense and special teams.

7 wins vs. last year's much easier schedule. Regardless of if the Bills have improved or not, their schedule, on paper, is a lot harder than last year's.

that's true, but I don't see us getting swept by the Jets or the Dolphins this year. I think they are both likely to take a step back.

The problem with Trent is that he has been hideous against all but the very worst defenses, certainly not that the blame for his performance lays with the defense and special teams.

Two of his better games came against San Diego and Jacksonville last year. I know they weren't top defenses last year, but they were far from the worst.

i'm talking about managing the game. knowing when to take a sack, when to throw a ball out of bounds, how to sell playaciton, how to carry yourself as a young man on the field and as the teams field general.

to the poster before you, you are correct, the bills have great STs. i amend that.

Ah, I gotcha. Yes, Flacco does tend to exhibit great poise and pocket presence for a young guy.

Two of his better games came against San Diego and Jacksonville last year. I know they weren't top defenses last year, but they were far from the worst.

San Diego not only wasn't a top defense last year they were not good without Shawn Merriman. They were terrible the first few weeks, Gates and LT were nicked up if memory serves. Again not impressed with another Edwards win over a .500 or lower team.

I really attribute the Jacksonville win to 3 of their starting o-line guys not playing. I'm not going to bother looking it up but didn't we get some special teams help in the way of field position and or scoring?

I get the sense that the Bill's confidence is very shaky going into this season, with they way last season ended, the new players starting on the OL and Trent still not showing great form in the pre-season. I doubt that they really believe that they can go into NE on a Monday night opener and win, but EVERYTHING depends on that game. If they find a way to win, confidence will be restored and I think they will win at least 10 games and go to the playoffs. If they lose, then it could get very bad, very quickly.

the bills special teams were indeed good. in fact, the Dallas Post, this summer, said that the bills have the best (with all special team factors, using some sort of math equation) STs in the league.

But i disagree that edwards is NOT forced to have bad field position each game. when you get scored on, you usually start at your own 20. and the bills get scored on a lot. their defense has trouble stopping folks. pull some stats on how many "3 and outs" the bills caused -- b'k drives were sustained on them taking chunks of yardage.

And you ignore something VERY important. ask your self how many turnovers the bills caused or created? not many. and that puts an offense on the field in the oppositions side of the 50 yards line quite often. forcing fumbles and interceptions within the opponents 50 yards line. this goes to field position -- and the bills defense is lacking there.

JOe Flacco comes on the field a lot when his defense hands him the ball after an interception/ fumble at the opponents 30 yards line. It happens at least once a game -- i would say. trent would like that opportunity...

1st in punt return average and 7th in kick return average in the NFL. 2nd in covering kickoffs, but only 23rd covering punts. 14th on defense in yards given up per game. 25th in offensive yards gained per game.

I can't find the team statistics for average starting field position last season, but I doubt that the Bills were at the bottom of the list, and in any event there's usually something around 7-8 yards between the best and worst avg. starting field position in the league. It's a ridiculous and unsupportable argument that he had it significantly worse than any or even most other qb's as far as field position goes.