Very revealing Gaughan article

i HATE scrawny, pathetic dick jauron. He looks terrified constantly. He looks afraid when talking to the officials like they are going to hit him. Did that mans father whoop his ass bad when he was a boy? Any man who is a fan of dick, or sticks up for him, you are a complete FOOL!!!!!!! i bet you 90% of posters on this board could run a tighter ship, a more powerful fearful team that other teams are scared to play. Dick likes to end each practice with a round of Duck-Duck-Goose followed by naptime. This idiot should open a daycare center instead of half-ass coaching the football team i love more than my girlfriend and my parents.

Uh -- just FWIW, "that man" made the Pro Bowl in 1974. I'm not thrilled that they brought him back, but I can't say I agree with the "scrawny, pathetic" line.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linky?

I also liked Geoff Hangartner's quote (paraphrasing), "Anytime we turn the ball over, the offensive line takes it personally."

He said it with a totally straight face so he either meant it or he's a really good liar. Either way it was a good "team" thing to say, FWIW.

Back to the original post and in fairness to the whole discussion, I understand that the coaching staff is trying to install our offense and our defense and that there's a limited time to do so.

I guess for the young players it would be hard to install our base defense and a scout team look at the same time. But, as has been pointed out, good teams are mixing up 3-4 and 4-3 schemes and it would be a benefit to our defense (Maybin?) to install some 3-4 looks. Also, our utter failure against the 3-4 makes it imperative in my eyes that the offense practice against it. You can argue that our whole season's success depends upon improving in this area.

maybe the Bills would have had the time if they were not attending Club Dick.

all of those 2-a-days they did not use may have been a good time to learn the 3-4.

since all of the 3-4 teams run 4-3 looks as well, they seem to have figured out to learn more than 1 thing.

maybe if they did not spend so much time having the DEs practice their down field pass coverage, they could get it done.

i HATE scrawny, pathetic dick jauron. He looks terrified constantly. He looks afraid when talking to the officials like they are going to hit him. Did that mans father whoop his ass bad when he was a boy? Any man who is a fan of dick, or sticks up for him, you are a complete FOOL!!!!!!! i bet you 90% of posters on this board could run a tighter ship, a more powerful fearful team that other teams are scared to play. Dick likes to end each practice with a round of Duck-Duck-Goose followed by naptime. This idiot should open a daycare center instead of half-ass coaching the football team i love more than my girlfriend and my parents.

Ya know, we had a pretty good thread going here until this crap...

Way to contribute NOTHING to an otherwise insightful thread - <_<

It's not just the 3-4. As was discussed last year several times, Trent does poorly against teams that drop men into coverage. He reads and reacts to blitzes extremely well. But when a team drops lots of men into coverage and doesn't blitz, he blows.

If he's not seeing that in practice, shame on the Bills. It would be yet another coaching blunder around a young QB.

What Edwards says is that he is doing as he is coached and he is taking what the defense gives him.

In other words, if the defense doesn't give him anything and give it to him damn fast, he has nothing. This is nothing new really, but does that shoe fit?

While I normally would agree with not calling out a coach for any reason I'll make an exception here.

This is a glaring example of why Dick Jauron is nowhere near head coach material in the NFL. To fail to practice against the type of defense/offense that your upcoming opponent uses is absolutely unforgiveable. If I was Ralph Wilson and I came to know this information I would fire Jauron on the spot, in front of all the players.

Edwards exposed Jauron and the situation and also offered a perfectly plausible reason why the Bills suck against the 3-4. Now I can only hope that Jauron will make an adjustment here and start using the 3-4 in practice but I think it'll go something more like this:

Anyone with an IQ above 23: "Hey Coach Jauron, now that everyone knows the reason that we suck against the 3-4 is because we don't practice against it do you think that we should try it now? Maybe it'll help us progress and actually beat a division opponent"

Coach Jauron: "No, I think we need to keep doing what we've always done. If teams know that we are now practicing against the 3-4 I bet they won't use it against us"

Anyone with an IQ above 23: "Are you fukking retarded?"

Edwards said essentially the same thing last year, fwiw.

Other than being condescending, I don't see what the problem is with Jauron's answer to the question regarding NE's* use of the 4-3 fronts. He's correct in his answer. They've run a ton of 4-3 since Belichek got there. Why is that news? Seems to me the only news here is that the Pats* intend to run MORE 4-3, perhaps even make it their base defensive front. And that makes perfect sense since with the loss of Vrabel, the decline/ascension of Bruschi/Mayo, and the acquisition of Burgess MIGHT suggest that Bellyache's BEST personnel better fit a 4-3. Hence all that use of ink and bandwidth in the NE* region.

I can understand how that's grist for the media mill as it represents a change in what the good folks in NE* are accustomed to and the media in that region would be remiss not to provide insights into the changes but to coaches, I don't think NE's* intended use of more 4-3 is that big a deal.

GO BILLS!!!

Ahem. <_<

1) Why would the Pats* tell Dick Jauron their intended line-up for the opening game?

2) If they did, why would we believe Bill Belichick?

3) Do you think it slipped past Bill that Buffalo was 1-8 against the 3-4 last year?

4) If your opponent was 0.111 against the 3-4 and 0.857 against the 4-3 and you had flexibility to run either on a whim, why would you take the 4-3?

Ahem. <_<

1) Why would the Pats* tell Dick Jauron their intended line-up for the opening game?

2) If they did, why would we believe Bill Belichick?

3) Do you think it slipped past Bill that Buffalo was 1-8 against the 3-4 last year?

4) If your opponent was 0.111 against the 3-4 and 0.857 against the 4-3 and you had flexibility to run either on a whim, why would you take the 4-3?

WTF are you talking about and what does my post regarding Jauron's answer to Tim Graham's question regarding the Pats'* INTENDED more use of the 4-3 front have to do with ANYTHING you just outlined?

Not that your points aren't good ones. I agree with them. It's just that they have nothing to do with the context of my post. Apparently it's big news in NE* that Bellyache is going to use more of the 4-3 this year. That's what Graham asked about, what Jauron gave an answer to, and what I posted about.

Maybe Graham could take your four points above and ask DJ directly on your behalf?

GO BILLS!!!

For this team to not be practicing against ta 3/4 constantly after last years record is completely ridiculous. The only reason I can possibly fathom is that they want to see who is going to make it to the roster in our 4/3....but that is ridiculous. Our starters (and coaches) clearly need work v the 3/4.

While I normally would agree with not calling out a coach for any reason I'll make an exception here.

This is a glaring example of why Dick Jauron is nowhere near head coach material in the NFL. To fail to practice against the type of defense/offense that your upcoming opponent uses is absolutely unforgiveable. If I was Ralph Wilson and I came to know this information I would fire Jauron on the spot, in front of all the players.

Edwards exposed Jauron and the situation and also offered a perfectly plausible reason why the Bills suck against the 3-4. Now I can only hope that Jauron will make an adjustment here and start using the 3-4 in practice but I think it'll go something more like this:

Anyone with an IQ above 23: "Hey Coach Jauron, now that everyone knows the reason that we suck against the 3-4 is because we don't practice against it do you think that we should try it now? Maybe it'll help us progress and actually beat a division opponent"

Coach Jauron: "No, I think we need to keep doing what we've always done. If teams know that we are now practicing against the 3-4 I bet they won't use it against us"

Anyone with an IQ above 23: "Are you fukking retarded?"

Look at the bright side. DJ will be gone by week 10 and everything will change and we will start all over again, change schemes, change out the players. At least I think thats the bright side (?) I wish we had gotten Vick. At least they would have been more fun to watch lose.

Seriously, in the "old days", when the Bills were going to the Superbowl every year and all that, was ANY team in the league EVER quoted as saying that they had THAT much more trouble against the 3-4 than the 4-3, or vice versa?? No honestly, why is this seeming to me to be something completely new, and not only new, but unique to the Buffalo Bills??? There are TWO total defensive package choices, a 3-4 and a 4-3. They've been around forEVER. What kind of moron coach has the balls to say that he isn't "familiar" with one or the other, and what kind of ridiculous FANS have the audacity to parrot such garbage??? Are we THAT pathetic now??? Have we fallen THAT far???

Seriously, in the "old days", when the Bills were going to the Superbowl every year and all that, was ANY team in the league EVER quoted as saying that they had THAT much more trouble against the 3-4 than the 4-3, or vice versa?? No honestly, why is this seeming to me to be something completely new, and not only new, but unique to the Buffalo Bills??? There are TWO total defensive package choices, a 3-4 and a 4-3. They've been around forEVER. What kind of moron coach has the balls to say that he isn't "familiar" with one or the other, and what kind of ridiculous FANS have the audacity to parrot such garbage??? Are we THAT pathetic now??? Have we fallen THAT far???

6-4

Just sayin..

Instead of calling each other out they should freaking practice against a freaking 3-4 defense. I just find it hard to believe that Edwards spent the ENTIRE off season without analyzing how he needs to improve against a particular type of D. I'm concerned but I won't believe that things will be the same until I see it in the regular season. I know in the glory years we didn't look so hot in the preseason and things turned out fine.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/8/24/...-call-out-trent

Watching film and Madden 2009 aren't the same as being under center and seeing the defense.

Edwards is taking stabs at the coaching staff being as subtle as he can be. There is no reason for him to reveal that kind of stuff. What he is saying "Hey look...we never prepare..."

And it is only the preseason. Wait for when the games count and they start losing badly as quite a few posters have predicted. It will get real ugly then. Ticked off fans, bumbling gameday decisions by Jauron, and an owner who is too cheap to fix the problem. Which makes him part of the problem! Lack of talent, bad Head Coach, and a cheap owner. What a Happy Meal!

Yes, unfortunately. As a fandom we've completely fallen off the edge. Not to go all sociologist on you but it's a reflection of society and our need for 'immediate' gratification. We've lost the idea of the beauty of the journey. But I digress.

Back on point: there ARE more than the two fronts you mention.

Finally, it's not about the fronts you face. It's about the personnel that make up those fronts. DJ and our coaches know everything there is to know about the fronts.

There is just NO WAY IN HELL you can simulate Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Burgess, Thomas, etc. in practice.

GO BILLS!!!

Watching film and Madden 2009 aren't the same as being under center and seeing the defense.

Very true but I guess I choose to see it as him being more prepared this year and with experience and some film study things will improve greatly as the season goes on. I'm not going to go crazy over a preseason game, I'm going to hold my judgements until Sept 14th and on.

However, I'm 70-30 on him "getting it" against the 3-4 this year which I'm sure is quite a bit higher than most people on this board. I have a feeling he plays well this weekend against Pittsburgs 3-4 just to shut everyone up. Just trying to be optimistic.

Yes, unfortunately. As a fandom we've completely fallen off the edge. Not to go all sociologist on you but it's a reflection of society and our need for 'immediate' gratification. We've lost the idea of the beauty of the journey. But I digress.

GO BILLS!!!

Journey?? This thing has become some kind of Arthurian quest for the lost grail. I'm pretty sure the beauty wore off years ago. Now, we're just wandering through the wilderness disillusioned and lost. Many of us can't even remember what we're looking for.

Journey?? This thing has become some kind of Arthurian quest for the lost grail. I'm pretty sure the beauty wore off years ago. Now, we're just wandering through the wilderness disillusioned and lost. Many of us can't even remember what we're looking for.

Odyssey, maybe?

"These are the times that try men souls."

And try, and try, and try, and try, ....

GO BILLS!!!

WTF are you talking about and what does my post regarding Jauron's answer to Tim Graham's question regarding the Pats'* INTENDED more use of the 4-3 front have to do with ANYTHING you just outlined?

Not that your points aren't good ones. I agree with them. It's just that they have nothing to do with the context of my post. Apparently it's big news in NE* that Bellyache is going to use more of the 4-3 this year. That's what Graham asked about, what Jauron gave an answer to, and what I posted about.

Maybe Graham could take your four points above and ask DJ directly on your behalf?

GO BILLS!!!

I was responding to the premise of the quote you gave, not your opinions, that's WTF I was asking about. That should be pretty obvious. So, no need to get rankled unless you are in fact Dick Jauron.

I was responding to the premise of the quote you gave, not your opinions, that's WTF I was asking about. That should be pretty obvious. So, no need to get rankled unless you are in fact Dick Jauron.

Wasn't rankled. Not even a little. Was it my use of the "WTF" that made you think that? Hey, sometimes I curse.

Sorry, but I didn't find your response to my post an "obvious" response to the premise of Graham's/Jauron's quotes.

GO BILLS!!!

Wasn't rankled. Not even a little. Was it my use of the "WTF" that made you think that? Hey, sometimes I curse.

Sorry, but I didn't find your response to my post an "obvious" response to the premise of Graham's/Jauron's quotes.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually, I'm pretty much in agreement with your gist. The Pats* have run a lot of 4-3 and are not just a 3-4 team. That is not news to anyone that's seen them over the past several years.

I think we can pretty much count on Belichick coming out with a variety of looks and attacking our no-huddle offense like a troop of ravenous gorillas going after a bucket of bananas.