Poz=Paup?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil I think you meant 1997 instead of 2007 when Paup was forced to the MLB position. At least I would hope that is what you meant.

yep...fixed :thumbsup:

He wasn't forced to the MLB position, though...our starting lineup at LB after we switched to the 4-3 was Paup-Holocek-Rogers. He may have played some inside backer in Green Bay before we got him...I recall he played DE and OLB there...can't recall if he played inside there at all, though.

The guy I would compare Poz with (and am hopeful that he'll be as good as) is Chris Spielman.

Spielman was a perennial Pro Bowler, was All Pro twice, and in fact gave the Bills one great season, 2006 when he had a career best 206 tackles and was a constant force against the run. He injured his spine while with the Bills and the injury eventually caused him to retire. But he was awesome for the Bills in 2006, his last great year.

Spielman is a "football cradle" guy (the term I use for Ohio/PA kids who grew up dreaming of and working towards the NFL) like Poz. Both are about 6'1" and 250 pounds.

Spielman used to sleep naked in the hotel room with the air conditioning on before cold weather games to get acclimated. I think Poz has the same extreme passion for the game. Poz IMO will become a great linebacker, if given the opportunity (better supporting cast).

You mean 1996?

could poz could have a year like Bryce Paup did that year he won AFC Defensive Player of the Year?

we haven't really had a dominant force in the middle since Paup. Fletcher was amazing and i think we let him go too early, but i understand we're trying to get younger and establish leadership. but the bills do have history of letting good players go too early...........Flutie for Johnson is a good example.

Paup played on the outside in a 3-4 and Poz is in the middle of a 4-3. Paup had 7.5 sacks in only his second year playing only on passing downs. Poz has zero sacks in 19 starts. They are two completely different kind of players.

could poz could have a year like Bryce Paup did that year he won AFC Defensive Player of the Year?

we haven't really had a dominant force in the middle since Paup. Fletcher was amazing and i think we let him go too early, but i understand we're trying to get younger and establish leadership. but the bills do have history of letting good players go too early...........Flutie for Johnson is a good example.

Paup played outside

paup was a stand up LB who rushed the passer every play. poz is a runt inside tackler. this is apples to oranges. paup also had a guy named bruce smith on the other side of the line and a very good offense and special team squad that allowed him to play most of the game with his ears pinned back on the rush upfield every play...