What made you think that 7-9 was underachieving?

Wasn't it Belichick who told his defense that Thurman Thomas needed to run for 100+ yards for them to win? If I'm not mistaken, that was mentioned on the Super Bowl program NFL Network runs.

Yes sir

He knew if Thurman ran for over a 100, that would leave Kelly and the WR's less opprotunities to score. Allowing him to hit 100 yards was like putting the brakes on one of the most explosive offenses the league has ever seen. He guarenteed it too Parcells before the game and his players were mad at first. It worked out in the end and Norwood missed the kick.

Jauron should have not even been the coach of the Bills last season. After the Cowboys game, Ralph should have canned him and Fewell's sorry asses. I'm sorry, you cannot get embarassed by your coaches like that on national television. There were way too many boneheaded errors from the coaching staff in that game. The most malignant was allowing them to throw the pass down the sidelines when they had 0 TO's. WTF did you think they were going to do????!?!

He has the worst clock management of any coach to come thru this town

He went 0-6 in a Brady-less divison

Started 5-1 and failed to make playoffs

Lost to San Fran in a cold-weather, 1pm (10am for 49ers) when the previous record for west coast teams traveling to the east coast and playing at 1pm was 0-36 I believe. Something insane like that

He never beats teams with winning records

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes sir

He knew if Thurman ran for over a 100, that would leave Kelly and the WR's less opprotunities to score. Allowing him to hit 100 yards was like putting the brakes on one of the most explosive offenses the league has ever seen. He guarenteed it too Parcells before the game and his players were mad at first. It worked out in the end and Norwood missed the kick.

Jauron should have not even been the coach of the Bills last season. After the Cowboys game, Ralph should have canned him and Fewell's sorry asses. I'm sorry, you cannot get embarassed by your coaches like that on national television. There were way too many boneheaded errors from the coaching staff in that game. The most malignant was allowing them to throw the pass down the sidelines when they had 0 TO's. WTF did you think they were going to do????!?!

He has the worst clock management of any coach to come thru this town

He went 0-6 in a Brady-less divison

Started 5-1 and failed to make playoffs

Lost to San Fran in a cold-weather, 1pm (10am for 49ers) when the previous record for west coast teams traveling to the east coast and playing at 1pm was 0-36 I believe. Something insane like that

He never beats teams with winning records

I go to games with a friend of mine who's had season tickets since 96. After the Dallas MNF game (and he's not normally as upset as I am) he said simply, "I'm tired of losing." It's not just the losses, it's the way they lose. MNF vs CLE and DAL. Sunday night to NE 56-10 in 07. The season opener vs Denver in 07. DJ tears the heart out of you.

And thanks for the SB XXV note. Thought I'd heard that.

Wasn't it Belichick who told his defense that Thurman Thomas needed to run for 100+ yards for them to win? If I'm not mistaken, that was mentioned on the Super Bowl program NFL Network runs.

Yep. I think Belichick had a lot to do with that win. I mean very few people gave the Giants a snowball's chance going in. The Bills had racked up 428 points on the season and were an offensive juggernaut. The Bills had pasted their playoff competition to the tune of 44 and 51 points. The Giants defense held them to a mere 19 points. Pretty damn good, considering. The Giants also played keep away on offense and took the air out of the football. They knew going in that they didn't want a shootout, so they milked the clock on offense and tried to keep the Bills offense off the field by pounding the rock at a defense built to win in the AFC against the Marino and Elway led teams of the time. That was also a big component (and the point of agreement I had with SJBF). Of course, the defense with Taylor, Johnson, Banks and Marshall had a big hand. Still, Parcells and Belichick won that game with great coaching. The Bills had better overall talent and lost: Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Lofton, Smith, Bennett, Conlan, Talley, ... unless someone wants to argue that OJ Anderson and Jeff Hostetler were great players.

Of course, the defense with Taylor, Johnson, Banks and Marshall had a big hand. Still, Parcells and Belichick won that game with great coaching. The Bills had better overall talent and lost: Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Lofton, Smith, Bennett, Conlan, Talley, ... unless someone wants to argue that OJ Anderson and Jeff Hostetler were great players.

George Young was the architect of those fine Giants teams of those two SB teams. I would say he and Polian were at the top of NFL execs for the time period. The difference was in who they hired to coach those teams, and who those coaches hired as coordinators.

The Parcells/Belichick pairing was truly one of the finest in NFL history. But the Bills had more talent, as evidenced by recent HOF ceremonies. In that game, I agree NYG had the better coaching. This is precisely why it blows my mind that RW does not see the worth in finding a quality HC. Perhaps it's because that money does not count against the cap or he doesn't trust his people to find a good one. Then again, the people in the front office are those he's put there.

Did you get to watch the Bears game? Could you hear the boos as Lindell trotted onto the field? I'm still swearing about it three days later. It's PRESEASON, for cryin' out loud. A shot at the end zone? Please?

(Add: I should probably apologize to Tim G. here. Because it's easier to send an e-mail than post on TBD from the CrackBerry, he got the brunt of my displeasure with both that playcall and Langston Walker's performance. A quote from same: "After a nice drive, 3rd-and-long handoff into the line to set up the first Bills FG: Jauronball 101.")

I was watching at that point, but was in the kitchen making dinner so i couldn't hear the TV too well. When i saw the play, i wasn't infuriated, i just kinda shook my head and laughed. Some things never change.

I go to games with a friend of mine who's had season tickets since 96. After the Dallas MNF game (and he's not normally as upset as I am) he said simply, "I'm tired of losing." It's not just the losses, it's the way they lose. MNF vs CLE and DAL. Sunday night to NE 56-10 in 07. The season opener vs Denver in 07. DJ tears the heart out of you.

And thanks for the SB XXV note. Thought I'd heard that.

You could even say similar things about the way they win. For example, the Raiders game early in the season when the Raiders team was in a full on boil of controversy with the owner and head coach having a major feud. The Raiders came out and out played the Bills for most of the game. The Bills pulled out a win in that one with a 4th quarter rally, but why should a team that is billed as ready for a playoff run need to rally late in the 4th quarter against a struggling team with a multitude of problems? It is better than losing to such a team, but it sure doesn't inspire much confidence. It is 100% in keeping with the "keep it close and hopefully make a kick at the end; it's tough to win in the NFL" game plan.

Did you get to watch the Bears game? Could you hear the boos as Lindell trotted onto the field? I'm still swearing about it three days later. It's PRESEASON, for cryin' out loud. A shot at the end zone? Please?

(Add: I should probably apologize to Tim G. here. Because it's easier to send an e-mail than post on TBD from the CrackBerry, he got the brunt of my displeasure with both that playcall and Langston Walker's performance. A quote from same: "After a nice drive, 3rd-and-long handoff into the line to set up the first Bills FG: Jauronball 101.")

Walker. :wallbash: "He'll be fine." :lol:

The comparisons to Belichick are supremely naive. Bill Belichick won Super Bowls as a defensive coordinator before he became a head coach. His scheme was the primary reason the Giants upset the Bills in the Super Bowl. He's won Super Bowls in his second stint as a head coach. In between, he helped resurrect the Jets from the dead with Parcells.

Saying Jauron is just like Belichick on nothing more than Belichick's record in Cleveland is a lame single data point with no weight that holds no water. I mean it is flat out ignorant of the fact that Belichick came into Cleveland when it was a veteran team with a ton of holdover talent from Schottenheimer's era 3 years earlier and that talent was getting long in the tooth. It's wasn't until his third year that he even really started to overhaul the roster in earnest. In his 4th season, Belichick had the Browns in the playoffs and they actually won a playoff game against a team with a winning record. Jauron has been a head coach for 8 years and never done that.

You are naive if you think I'm comparing DJ to BB in terms of coaching ability. The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't matter how good of a coach you might be, as even the mighty BB couldn't do any better than what DJ has done when he coached a team that had a comparable level of talent as the Bills of the past several seasons. You are so ingrained in your own perspective that you utterly lack any ability to consider a contrary point of a view, which destroys any credibility you might have had by default. That's all I'm saying here.

I say DJ isn't as bad as you people try to make him seem, and here's my supporting evidence. And you interpret my words as me stating he is as good a coach as BB. You position utterly lacks any foundation in reality, and you're inability to accept my straightforward logic for what it is proves that. Now, if you could provide any objective supporting evidence against my arguments, I could consider your opinion reasonable and still disagree. However, it is more than apparent that your position is not reasonable, and you are just another Abigail Williams. I shall explain that allusion if necessary, which I expect it is.

What is your favorite game day coaching move of the DJ era?

You are naive if you think I'm comparing DJ to BB in terms of coaching ability. The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't matter how good of a coach you might be, as even the mighty BB couldn't do any better than what DJ has done when he coached a team that had a comparable level of talent as the Bills of the past several seasons. You are so ingrained in your own perspective that you utterly lack any ability to consider a contrary point of a view, which destroys any credibility you might have had by default. That's all I'm saying here.

I say DJ isn't as bad as you people try to make him seem, and here's my supporting evidence. And you interpret my words as me stating he is as good a coach as BB. You position utterly lacks any foundation in reality, and you're inability to accept my straightforward logic for what it is proves that. Now, if you could provide any objective supporting evidence against my arguments, I could consider your opinion reasonable and still disagree. However, it is more than apparent that your position is not reasonable, and you are just another Abigail Williams. I shall explain that allusion if necessary, which I expect it is.

I expect football players to win football games, not the coaches. I expect the best 6 teams in each conference to make the playoffs, and the other 10 teams in each conference to watch them on TV. I expect the team whose place kicker makes the game winning attempt (i.e. the Browns last year) to defeat the team whose place kicker misses the game winning attempt (i.e the Bills). Do you expect money to rain from the sky as well sir? Hope and expectation are very very different, but clearly you have no grasp of that.

boring post and even more boring opinion....i blame the coach for his short comings and you blame the players for the teams down comings....chicken and the egg.

you're looking for an argument, not what made me think that 7-9 was underachieving.

BORING

The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't matter how good of a coach you might be

Gee, why bother having coaches at all? :beer:

So let me sum up this 'straightforward logic':

1. Cleveland sucked 15 years ago

2. ???

3. Jauron doesn't suck now

You are so ingrained in your own perspective that you utterly lack any ability to consider a contrary point of a view, which destroys any credibility you might have had by default.

Excuse me, Mr. Pot?