How will Billicheck stop the no huddle?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's crazy. It turns the NFL into a pansy league. You don't want a player to go to the locker room, get taped up and come back to play later in the game?

Honestly, it is an idiotic suggestion, IMO.

But perhaps a player should be required to miss an entire series on a clock stopping injury, or 5 minutes of action, or something that will make it more difficult to fake an injury to stop momentum.

My opinion it would make the NFL less of a pansy league. A player would have to suck it up & stay on the field (no time out) or hobble off the field before time runs out if they want to continue to play in the game. The other alternative is the team can use a time out for which they will be charged.

My opinion it would make the NFL less of a pansy league. A player would have to suck it up & stay on the field (no time out) or hobble off the field before time runs out if they want to continue to play in the game.

What if he had the wind knocked out of him? Sustained a possible concussion? Rib issue?

Are you willing to let players get permanently seriously injured, or even die for some stupid rule that they are not allowed to return? But that won't happen, most likely.

No league or team will allow a player to continue knowing they can sue for MAJOR damages, should they be allowed to continue playing with a serious injury, due to league rules.

So, you either seriously risk players lives (and the future of the league), or turn the league into a pansy league.

What if he had the wind knocked out of him? Sustained a possible concussion? Rib issue?

Are you willing to let players get permanently seriously injured, or even die for some stupid rule that they are not allowed to return? But that won't happen, most likely.

No league or team will allow a player to continue knowing they can sue for MAJOR damages, should they be allowed to continue playing with a serious injury, due to league rules.

So, you either seriously risk players lives (and the future of the league), or turn the league into a pansy league.

What are you talking about? If a player is seriously injured he should not play in the game again period. You are saying a seriously injured player should be allowed to play again after sitting out only 1 play. If on the other hand a player is not seriously injured but is feigning injury, he also will not be able to play in the game again, thereby removing the ability to cheat. How does this make it a pansy league? In the case where a player has the wind knocked out of him or other minor injury & the team wants to keep him in the game it will cost them a time out as it should.

I read somewhere that teams used a heavy blitz to combat MIA's "wildcat. I can't verify that - I watched no MIA games.

AFAIK, Glanville just quit pro football after 1993. He did some tv, and is in the college ranks now. Colorful guy - when he was with HOU, he and CIN's Sam Wyche would take delight in running up the score against each other...some sort of personal fued I guess.

Glanville was indeed a very colorful head coach, he used to leave game tickets every game for Elvis at the teams will call booth.

He used to drive around on a Harley Davidson motercycle and would always dress in black clothes, he is the one who termed the NFL logo as the "not for long".

Don't forget he drafted Brett Farve and used to kid him and make fun of him by calling him Mississippi, stating to him that 4 guys needed to be injured before he would play. To bad for Jerry, smart enough to draft him,just not smart enough to use him.

I only mentioned him because he used to be a defensive coordinator and went on to be the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons, he took them to the playoffs one year. His use of the Gritz Blitz didn't get him fired, it was just a really stupid idea that backfired and gave the opposing offense a chance to make big plays from vacated coverages. All the QB needed to have was 3 seconds to hit any receiver who could take it in for a touchdown. My point, pass rush isn't everything.

What are you talking about? If a player is seriously injured he should not play in the game again period. You are saying a seriously injured player should be allowed to play again after sitting out only 1 play.

I'm saying you sometimes do not know if an injury is serious while the player is on the field. You sometimes have to take a look at the guy, perform a few field tests, etc. The is particularly true with concussions. Also, with ribs and other sprains, taping can get the player back into the game.

You certainly can't get a guy who has had the wind badly knocked out of him off the field without stopping the clock. Do you want every guy who has the wind knocked out of him to sit out the entire game, ya pansy?

I'm saying you sometimes do not know if an injury is serious while the player is on the field. You sometimes have to take a look at the guy, perform a few field tests, etc. The is particularly true with concussions. Also, with ribs and other sprains, taping can get the player back into the game.

You certainly can't get a guy who has had the wind badly knocked out of him off the field without stopping the clock. Do you want every guy who has the wind knocked out of him to sit out the entire game, ya pansy?

No, I want the team to be charged with the time out. Why is that so hard for you to understand? If a team is out of time outs, they will be charged 15 yards delay of game penalty.

No, I want the team to be charged with the time out. Why is that so hard for you to understand? If a team is out of time outs, they will be charged 15 yards delay of game penalty.

No, you said you wanted the player to have to sit out the entire game:

Yes I do. If Tom* or even Trent has to have an injury time out to leave the field they should be finished for the day.

So, if the team is out of TOs for the half, a player who had the wind knocked out of him should sit out the entire game, and a player with a possible concussion has to make the choice between risking his future, or sitting out. Just stupid.

If you had been arguing for a penalty from the get-go, we wouldn't be having this exchange.

Double edge sword with the no huddle. When it is on, it is hard to stop. When it is off a LITTLE, it stops itself. With that it, the answer can be two fold:

1. The no huddle stops itself with its own LITTLE mistakes.

2. The defense makes key stops here and there. Kinda like an "island hopping" approach to key plays.

No, you said you wanted the player to have to sit out the entire game:

So, if the team is out of TOs for the half, a player who had the wind knocked out of him should sit out the entire game, and a player with a possible concussion has to make the choice between risking his future, or sitting out. Just stupid.

If you had been arguing for a penalty from the get-go, we wouldn't be having this exchange.

I said from the begining, the player would be out of the game if an injury time out was used. If a team uses one of their assigned timeouts, the player could return to the game.

I said from the begining, the player would be out of the game if an injury time out was used. If a team uses one of their assigned timeouts, the player could return to the game.

Exactly, which is stupid.

Now, I can live with some sort of penalty in that case, but not the expulsion of the player from the game.

Double edge sword with the no huddle. When it is on, it is hard to stop. When it is off a LITTLE, it stops itself. With that it, the answer can be two fold:

1. The no huddle stops itself with its own LITTLE mistakes.

2. The defense makes key stops here and there. Kinda like an "island hopping" approach to key plays.

With this team, #1 is neutralized I think. This team is likely to make just as many "little mistakes" using the huddle, as it gives DJ more time to consider stupid options. I will gamble the no huddle improves decision making, on this club.

Exactly, which is stupid.

Now, I can live with some sort of penalty in that case, but not the expulsion of the player from the game.

Explain to me what is stupid about forcing a team to use a timeout to keep a player in the game. If they are out of time outs they can take the penalty. It is not like players are injured all that often...............................unless they are playing a team running the no huddle.

Explain to me what is stupid about forcing a team to use a timeout to keep a player in the game. If they are out of time outs they can take the penalty. It is not like players are injured all that often...............................unless they are playing a team running the no huddle.

The stupid part is having the player sit out if they are out of time outs. You never mentioned the idea of a penalty OR having the player sit out, until much later in the conversation.

Just to be clear, having the player sit out the entire game, no matter what the injury, is the stupid part.

Using teams' time outs, assigning penalties, etc, are all rational ideas for discussion, IMO.

Tune in and find out. :lol:

The Bills will develop tendencies based on down and distance. The no huddle means you have to have a limited number of plays to call. For example on 3 rd an 3 they will call one play 50% of the time another 30 % of the time and a third 20% of the time. Belichek and other teams will sub personnel based on that tendency.

Like every battle plan our plans will need to be dynamic rather than static. The coaching staff that is better at managing the chess match during the game will come up on top. Of course that is assuming that talent big plays and luck are equal which they seldom are.

The Bills will develop tendencies based on down and distance. The no huddle means you have to have a limited number of plays to call. For example on 3 rd an 3 they will call one play 50% of the time another 30 % of the time and a third 20% of the time. Belichek and other teams will sub personnel based on that tendency.

Like every battle plan our plans will need to be dynamic rather than static. The coaching staff that is better at managing the chess match during the game will come up on top. Of course that is assuming that talent big plays and luck are equal which they seldom are.

The point of the no huddle is the other team will not have time to substitute unless they call a time out (or cheat).

The point of the no huddle is the other team will not have time to substitute unless they call a time out (or cheat).

Exactly. And as the play is called at the line, the QB should be able to get a sense of the D before calling the play.

Not saying it will work, but it has advantages in that situation.