except for levitree

I watched some snaps in slo-mo. What I don't understand is why some Bills players let rushers slip by without even trying to slow them down? Usually there's a Bills O-linemen in the middle of the pack with no one to block while our QB is getting mauled from the outside. Don't even get me started on the run blocking. Frankly except for Wood I didn't think our O-line played well at all. And I'm starting to think half the problem are the blocking assignments.

PTR

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So are we to assume you know the Bills line calls and blocking assignments? Unless you do, there is no way in hell you could even fathom to count their missed assignments. So dont come off like to some football know-all and tell everyone else who also watched the game what they did and did not see.

When you watch the RT take the LDE, and then Wood helping Hangartner to double the RDT, leaving the guy right over Wood's face, the LDT, to run directly into the backfield untouched with no back in the backfield, that is a missed assignment/missed communication by Wood.

When Wood's man literally rips through his arms and turns upfield, causing Edwards to be flushed out of the pocket and get sacked by someone else, that is a missed assignment by Wood.

It does not take a genius to watch the game over and see Wood either get beaten, or watch his man running free while he helps double someone else. It is different if there's a TE that is supposed to help out, or even a RB, but when there are neither, Wood is not understanding what he's supposed to be doing.

ans4e64, as a whole, Wood had a better night and from what we saw is NFL ready. Levitre played well but had his weaknesses exposed, which is good. He can now work on those weaknesses/technique. The best thing I took from this game was the fact that they both started. The two rooks and Hang at C played well together for the most part and that is the most we could hope for given the circumstances. Now we have to accept that this was one game. One game is never enough to determine where a player is in their development.

You cannot tell me that Wood had a better night and the he is more NFL ready. Wood seemed like he didn't know the correct calls and who he was supposed to take on a number of plays. I'm not saying he played extremely bad, I'm saying he and Levitre both learned some lessons last night. Levitre may have gotten beat by pure strength, but IMO, a smart player who knows what he's supposed to do that just needs to get stronger, is a much further along player than a monster that is running around without his head.

I will give credit to Levitre that he didn't get knocked over. he stayed on his feet while getting driven back. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he just needs to find his balance point or get in a lower set.

PTR

And quite frankly, I'd rather Levitre had his first "Welcome to the big league, kid" moment in the first preseason game, rather than the first regular season game.

I thought he showed promise. He was handled, sure...but like you say, he wasn't knocked flat on his ass, going against good veteran linemen. Impressive, too, that on Edwards' interception, even though Levitre was bull-rushed back, he didn't give up on the block. He'll be fine...he just needs to settle down a bit and get some more practice and seasoning against NFL-caliber opposition.

I watched some snaps in slo-mo. What I don't understand is why some Bills players let rushers slip by without even trying to slow them down? Usually there's a Bills O-linemen in the middle of the pack with no one to block while our QB is getting mauled from the outside. Don't even get me started on the run blocking. Frankly except for Wood I didn't think our O-line played well at all. And I'm starting to think half the problem are the blocking assignments.

PTR

Considering that that sort of nonsense has been going on for years, through a multitude of different offensive linemen, it's pretty freakin' obvious the blocking schemes and assignments are out of whack.

Otherwise, the Bills are consistently acquiring linemen who all misundertand the assignments in precisely the same way.

You cannot tell me that Wood had a better night and the he is more NFL ready. Wood seemed like he didn't know the correct calls and who he was supposed to take on a number of plays. I'm not saying he played extremely bad, I'm saying he and Levitre both learned some lessons last night. Levitre may have gotten beat by pure strength, but IMO, a smart player who knows what he's supposed to do that just needs to get stronger, is a much further along player than a monster that is running around without his head.

The dark side of the no-huddle. Especially so with un-experienced players compounded by an OL position jumble.

The no-huddle exchanges tuckering out a DL and inhibiting substitutions with offensive players not being on the same page - IMO.

Nice to use from time to time. Beware the three-and-outs.

A steady diet of it seems gimmicky to me, a crutch, unless you have a very, very experienced bunch that have played together for a long time. Edwards isn't a Kelly or an Esiason yet.

If Snert continues the chronic usage, it gets figured out - like this wildcat thing was as the season wore on. It's a matter of time until TE gets flattened on his back hard into the turf by a 300 pounder flying by an OL that is out of concert.

And it begs for a cornerback blitz.

Jesus H, give the kid a break. First live action of his career and you got him going to the bench already. Let's see how he rebounds. That's the true measure here. He's got a lot of camp and pre-season left so there's lots of time for improvement. This game just may have served him very well.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd give the kid one more game to improve for this year. Woods looks ready! Did you guys

see him push that dude 10 yards up the field? That was great.

if you say so. I do watch the games.

Wasn't trying to personally attack. But he played just a little below avg. for a pro lineman last year and looks like he was lost last night(getting beat like a rag doll, against scrubs). I know you watch the games.. We just need something better than him.. whether it's Bell, Hennessey.. something. Chambers cannot be the answer.

And quite frankly, I'd rather Levitre had his first "Welcome to the big league, kid" moment in the first preseason game, rather than the first regular season game.

I thought he showed promise. He was handled, sure...but like you say, he wasn't knocked flat on his ass, going against good veteran linemen. Impressive, too, that on Edwards' interception, even though Levitre was bull-rushed back, he didn't give up on the block. He'll be fine...he just needs to settle down a bit and get some more practice and seasoning against NFL-caliber opposition.

Most Sensible post of the day !!

When you watch the RT take the LDE, and then Wood helping Hangartner to double the RDT, leaving the guy right over Wood's face, the LDT, to run directly into the backfield untouched with no back in the backfield, that is a missed assignment/missed communication by Wood.

When Wood's man literally rips through his arms and turns upfield, causing Edwards to be flushed out of the pocket and get sacked by someone else, that is a missed assignment by Wood.

It does not take a genius to watch the game over and see Wood either get beaten, or watch his man running free while he helps double someone else. It is different if there's a TE that is supposed to help out, or even a RB, but when there are neither, Wood is not understanding what he's supposed to be doing.

First, the defensive line alignment you just described does not exist:

E ____T_T__E

_T_G_C_G_T

????

Second, maybe I am mistaken, but did the Bills ever use a 5 wide set? I dont believe they did, especially when our starting line was still in. So I ask, how was there no back in the backfield? Does this play of yours even exist? Or is it a fabrication just like your mysterious DLine overload left?????

I will continue. Maybe it was Hangartner who was supposed to pick up the LDT on a form of trap play. Or maybe Wood was supposed to combo block with Hang, and one of the two was supposed break off and pick up the LB once the DT was controled. Or maybe the RT was supposed to block down on the LDT and purposely leave the LDE unblocked. Maybe your wrong and there was a back in the backfield assigned to the DE. Again, you dont know the line calls, so you dont know who missed what block. The reason you dont know who missed that block is because you dont know who was supposed to make that block, no one outside of the Bills locker room does. Sure you can assume that it was Woods man but it very well may not have been. Dont forget that every player on our line is in a new starting position, it could have been anyone. For all we know L.Walker missed 25 of his assignments last night but not one of us noticed because nothing bad came of it.

Third, Edwards was not sacked in the game. Are you are thinking of the play where Woods man ripped threw him and Edwards completed a pass for TOs second reception? Maybe you are confused, on one play Wood totally owned his man, taking him and Hang's man out of the play, created a huge whole which Edwards saw then rane for 8 yards on a third down to convert for a first.I didnt say he was perfect, jsut that he was good and more NFL ready than Levitre.

First time iv'e seen Bell and he looked terrible. I don't know what everybody is so high on. He almost got Hamden killed against third stringers. Hamden had to ground the ball before he even set up, next play the DE is around Bell so fast Hamden has to dump it off. Kid has a long way to go nice camp fodder or practice squad player though.

Levitrie got a little high and got pushed back into Edwards but give him credit for not losing his man. He got beat but he didn't let his QB get killed. D+ C- . Not a bad start.

Right on and he looked fine to me pulling on the screen play later in the game. He seems a very mobile, something we've been needing from the guard position for pulling and screening.

I don't think the line was that bad against a good d line. livitree was horrible. get lower for god's sake? maybe butler to guard bell to right tackle and Levitree to the bench?

Hey, Levitre knows nothing about the NFL, I give him high marks for his blocking in that game and he may have blocked high, but the guy never got around him.

Perhaps Edwards should have thrown the ball earlier also

Levitre will never see the bench, you can count on that!

First, the defensive line alignment you just described does not exist:

E ____T_T__E

_T_G_C_G_T

????

Second, maybe I am mistaken, but did the Bills ever use a 5 wide set? I dont believe they did, especially when our starting line was still in. So I ask, how was there no back in the backfield? Does this play of yours even exist? Or is it a fabrication just like your mysterious DLine overload left?????

I will continue. Maybe it was Hangartner who was supposed to pick up the LDT on a form of trap play. Or maybe Wood was supposed to combo block with Hang, and one of the two was supposed break off and pick up the LB once the DT was controled. Or maybe the RT was supposed to block down on the LDT and purposely leave the LDE unblocked. Maybe your wrong and there was a back in the backfield assigned to the DE. Again, you dont know the line calls, so you dont know who missed what block. The reason you dont know who missed that block is because you dont know who was supposed to make that block, no one outside of the Bills locker room does. Sure you can assume that it was Woods man but it very well may not have been. Dont forget that every player on our line is in a new starting position, it could have been anyone. For all we know L.Walker missed 25 of his assignments last night but not one of us noticed because nothing bad came of it.

Third, Edwards was not sacked in the game. Are you are thinking of the play where Woods man ripped threw him and Edwards completed a pass for TOs second reception? Maybe you are confused, on one play Wood totally owned his man, taking him and Hang's man out of the play, created a huge whole which Edwards saw then rane for 8 yards on a third down to convert for a first.I didnt say he was perfect, jsut that he was good and more NFL ready than Levitre.

You want to keep arguing the facts, eh?

Here you are, from Ron's analysis:

Drive 2

Run 5: Jackson, -1 yard through A gap.

- Walker pushed 93 inside with help from Fine. Levitre went to the second level and fell down. (I guess it comes with wearing Fowler's old number.) Wood and Hangartner doubled 97 and shoved him downfield. Unfortunately, Wood completely ignored 91, who got to Jackson. Bell popped 90 and kept him out of the play. WR Josh Reed made no attempt to block 53, who got the tackle for loss.

Pass 6: Ryan Fitzpatrick scramble, 0 yards.

- Walker and Levitre did a good job handling a stunt by 97 and 93. Hangartner helped Levitre with 97. 91 blew right past Wood to force the scramble. Bell did a good job on 90.

Drive killed by: Wood.

Drive stats: Zero blitzes, zero stacked boxes.

You want to keep arguing the facts, eh?

Here you are, from Ron's analysis:

In fairness though, Ron's analysis only covers the first two series. We all know they played much more than that and had a few good moments. Like in the second quarter when Wood drove his man 10 yards downfield, put him on the ground and stayed there until the whistle blew. Levitre also showed some improvement as the game went on.

These two are sure to have growing pains. As is the entire OLine. But they have that uncoachable trait that good players have and one that can't be taught: FOOTBALL temperament.

GO BILLS!!!

In fairness though, Ron's analysis only covers the first two series. We all know they played much more than that and had a few good moments. Like in the second quarter when Wood drove his man 10 yards downfield, put him on the ground and stayed there until the whistle blew. Levitre also showed some improvement as the game went on.

These two are sure to have growing pains. As is the entire OLine. But they have that uncoachable trait that good players have and one that can't be taught: FOOTBALL temperament.

GO BILLS!!!

What do you mean only the first two series? Those were the two examples I was talking about.

What do you mean only the first two series? Those were the two examples I was talking about.

When I read Ron's critique from the BuffaloRumblings blog he said it was based only on the first two series. I'll go back and check. My point is simply that there was a lot larger sample of their work than just two series.

GO BILLS!!!

When I read Ron's critique from the BuffaloRumblings blog he said it was based only on the first two series. I'll go back and check. My point is simply that there was a lot larger sample of their work than just two series.

GO BILLS!!!

I know there is, but the other poster is arguing that those plays didn't happen... or something.