NASA detects first Exoplanet Atmosphere

/dev/null

Because the ones I argue with believe the Bible is literal, the earth is 6000 years old and there is no way that god would make another earth-like planet. Hell, some of them believe the sun goes around the earth!

Because the ones I argue with believe the Bible is literal, the earth is 6000 years old and there is no way that god would make another earth-like planet. Hell, some of them believe the sun goes around the earth!

Then they're just foolish. There'sd nothing in the Bible that says that the Earth revolves around the sun.

Nor is there anything in there that says it's flat.

...the ones I argue with...

Why do you even bother? One important lesson I have learned is that it is not worthwhile engaging in a debate with someone who is not willing or able to bring reason to the discussion. If the crux of a person's argument is "because it says so in a book," you have no hope. Changing someone's mind requires that there is a functioning mind there to begin with.

Then they're just foolish. There'sd nothing in the Bible that says that the Earth revolves around the sun.

Not directly. But it is a derivative of the whole "God gave humans a special place in the universe" belief that then leads to the universe being Earth-centric. So it derives (tenuously, I'll admit) from a literal reading of the Bible.

And mathematically it's entirely possible to describe the Sun as orbiting the Earth. It's just a transformation of coordinate systems...albiet a really, really hideous one.

Not directly. But it is a derivative of the whole "God gave humans a special place in the universe" belief that then leads to the universe being Earth-centric. So it derives (tenuously, I'll admit) from a literal reading of the Bible.

And mathematically it's entirely possible to describe the Sun as orbiting the Earth. It's just a transformation of coordinate systems...albiet a really, really hideous one.

I'll give you that point, though I think those people are mis-interpreting the Word (whether consciously or not).

I argue with creationists on another board about evolution. Their heads will explode when we find an earth-like planet.

What about your faith makes you so certain another Earth-like planet will be discovered?

Just how Earth-like will it be?

Do you believe it will contain living beings?

Just curious.

I'll give you that point, though I think those people are mis-interpreting the Word (whether consciously or not).

That'll usually happen when you interpret metaphors literally.

I mean, really. Read the Gospels. How many parables did Jesus tell? What's a parable? It's a frickin' meatphor, people!!!

I argue with creationists on another board about evolution. Their heads will explode when we find an earth-like planet.

Sounds like you are all dug in in positions that are equally wrong. Science and scientific discovery at least so far, have neither proven nor disproven the existence of God. In my short lifespan (relative to the age of the universe) I highly doubt that science will do either. Also, I highly doubt it ever will.

Faith and beliefs are mysteries that ultimately come down to choice and introspection. You will never force a person to have true faith just like you will never force a person with true faith to lose it.

Sounds like you are all dug in in positions that are equally wrong. Science and scientific discovery at least so far, have neither proven nor disproven the existence of God. In my short lifespan (relative to the age of the universe) I highly doubt that science will do either. Also, I highly doubt it ever will.

Faith and beliefs are mysteries that ultimately come down to choice and introspection. You will never force a person to have true faith just like you will never force a person with true faith to lose it.

Proving in no small part that you have NO idea what my position is.

I've posted it here before. You can go look it up.

It's a conservative board (surprise), and the creationists equate anybody who doesn't go in lockstep with them as atheist liberals. They even say that the Pope is not a Christian because the RC Church says evolution is real! They can't believe that you can believe in God and also think evolution is real. I like to yank their chains and get them backed in a corner (like DCTom does here). When you pwn (I'm old is that right?) them with facts and logic, they start with the name calling.

Science does not disprove or prove the existence of God, that is religion. Those creationists masquerade religion as science.

Buffal0 Bill5, hundreds of planets have been found with relatively primitive methods. With the new satellite, we can now detect earth sized planets. It is just a manner of time that we will start detecting those. Some will be at the right distance for life. They may have bacterial life or some life more advanced than ours. Who knows? Water and the building blocks for life are too prevalent out there in the universe.

In the first test of the equipment, they found that the two sides of the planet they looked at have a 1,000 degree difference, and they haven't even finely calibrated it yet.

Proving in no small part that you have NO idea what my position is.

I've posted it here before. You can go look it up.

I was not responding to your position unless you happen to be among the creationists that Wacka was referring to. Perhaps you will suprise me but based on what I have read from you I would not figure this to be the case.

I was not responding to your position unless you happen to be among the creationists that Wacka was referring to. Perhaps you will suprise me but based on what I have read from you I would not figure this to be the case.

I think that is actually a Tommybot. They are remarkably like their creator, but tend to get confused.

Not directly. But it is a derivative of the whole "God gave humans a special place in the

It is a coordinate system which only someone with divine intervention could proof.

Well that makes sense, unless you happen to be 15 billion years old.

Honestly why is a belief in God have to mean a disbelief in evolution?

Well that makes sense, unless you happen to be 15 billion years old.

15 billion?

What about 10 Billion or 20? Has anyone seen the Universe's Birth Certificate?

Honestly why is a belief in God have to mean a disbelief in evolution?

Because some dead guy that lived 2000 years ago that had now understanding of science said so