Name Change

The Toronto "Buffalo Bills" - This one makes sense because "Buffalo Bills" is not just our city, it's William Cody's nickname. Works as a dual-city thing, or as a team nickname.

The Buffalo Bills of Niagara - Eh? Not enough "Toronto" to satisfy them.

The Buffalo Bills of the Golden Crescent - Too many words...same problem.

PTR

The Toronto "Buffalo Bills" - This one makes sense because "Buffalo Bills" is not just our city, it's William Cody's nickname. Works as a dual-city thing, or as a team nickname.

PTR

Right now Toronto is leasing the Buffalo Bills for one regular season game per year, for 4 more years. Even if the Bills agree to play two regular season games there - or even four per season for that matter - they are still the Buffalo Bills, playing in Toronto to expand their fan base and increase their profits.

Ralph Wilson won't be changing the name of his team while he is still alive. If he was that desperate for the money, he would have simply taken the Bills to one of the cities that was clamoring for a team back in the late 90's.

So then we move on to after Ralph dies. Unless Jimbo and his mystery group of investors outbids the other cities that will be vying for the Bills, the "Bills" name will die with Wilson. Who the hell would pay almost a billion dollars for an NFL franchise, and then keep the name "Bills" in their new NFL city, when "Bills" only made sense for the city of Buffalo?

Buffaronto Bills

Since we'll probably be playing half are games there in a few years, we might as well give them half of our name. :lol:

How original! I don't think anyone has ever mentioned something like this before. With the season only weeks away, this is the best topic you can come up with?

Right now Toronto is leasing the Buffalo Bills for one regular season game per year, for 4 more years. Even if the Bills agree to play two regular season games there - or even four per season for that matter - they are still the Buffalo Bills, playing in Toronto to expand their fan base and increase their profits.

Ralph Wilson won't be changing the name of his team while he is still alive. If he was that desperate for the money, he would have simply taken the Bills to one of the cities that was clamoring for a team back in the late 90's.

So then we move on to after Ralph dies. Unless Jimbo and his mystery group of investors outbids the other cities that will be vying for the Bills, the "Bills" name will die with Wilson. Who the hell would pay almost a billion dollars for an NFL franchise, and then keep the name "Bills" in their new NFL city, when "Bills" only made sense for the city of Buffalo?

You are correct about the current deal...it's just a lease of a few games. But all bets are off once Ralph passes.

It's only my opinion but I really belive the NFL does not want to completely abandon the Buffalo area. I think Goodell growing up in WNY knows what the Bills mean to the area, and the Bills are a legacy franchise in the NFL. The NFL also knows that franchise moves are bad karma.

That said there's no way Goodell can justify to the Jones's, Snyders and Krafts keeping an NFL franchise in an econimically depressed town. That's where Toronto comes in. The Rogers deal, I think, is a "toe in the water" for what will eventually become a team sharing arrangement. The Bills will wind up playing half of their games in Toronto. The $78M Rogers is paying will go toward any toward any partial relocation fee the NFL may charge, but will insist the Bills remain in Buffalo on a part-time basis. I think the NFL will broker a deal that makes this franchise sharing palatable to Rogers or whatever Toronto entity that will own the Bills.

For die hard Bills fans it will suck, but the alternative is no team...zilch...nada. Me? I'll hold my nose and keep going to the games at RWS.

PTR

You are correct about the current deal...it's just a lease of a few games. But all bets are off once Ralph passes.

It's only my opinion but I really belive the NFL does not want to completely abandon the Buffalo area. I think Goodell growing up in WNY knows what the Bills mean to the area, and the Bills are a legacy franchise in the NFL. The NFL also knows that franchise moves are bad karma.

That said there's no way Goodell can justify to the Jones's, Snyders and Krafts keeping an NFL franchise in an econimically depressed town. That's where Toronto comes in. The Rogers deal, I think, is a "toe in the water" for what will eventually become a team sharing arrangement. The Bills will wind up playing half of their games in Toronto. The $78M Rogers is paying will go toward any toward any partial relocation fee the NFL may charge, but will insist the Bills remain in Buffalo on a part-time basis. I think the NFL will broker a deal that makes this franchise sharing palatable to Rogers or whatever Toronto entity that will own the Bills.

For die hard Bills fans it will suck, but the alternative is no team...zilch...nada. Me? I'll hold my nose and keep going to the games at RWS.

PTR

Interesting. This is the first time I've seen a "shared team" concept floated for after Ralph passes away. I don't buy it. The Rogers Group won't want to share the franchise with Buffalo. They will be bidding for a team in Toronto, period. And as far as I'm concerned, the Bills can play some games in Toronto, or they can build a new stadium in Niagara Falls, or they can play the games on top of the Peace Bridge. As long as they are called the Buffalo Bills, I'll root for them. Once they change the name to appease Toronto or Canada, or once the franchise leaves altogether, I'm done as a Bills fan. Buffalo is my home town, and the Buffalo Bills are my only team, ever.

Unless of course Buffalo figures out how to lure an expansion team back in after the Bills leave, like St. Louis, Cleveland and Houston did. Then I would be willing to start over with the new team and root for them. Of course, we all know that won't be happening any time soon, <_<:blink: , so for now we might as well enjoy our Bills for our 7 (or less) home games a season.

PTR

I thought the name came from the fact that we're NY's only team and NY has some of the highest BILLS in the nation.

PTR

There is some logic to this for the following reasons:

1.) If only half the games are played in Toronto it wouldn't seem like the NFL was trying to destroy the Argos and the CFL.

2.) They could try to merge both the history and tradition and passion of Bills fans with a large new fan and corporate base.

3.) It worked for Green Bay and Milwaukee for quite a few years with the Packers.

Problems:

1.) The players would hate not having a single home and having to travel for home games.

2.) Toronto would probably not want to play second fiddle to Buffalo and it might be hard to get fans up there to really feel like its their team.

3.) Having a team shared by cities of two different nations is difficult.

4.) The NFL doesn't usually do this kind of thing.

5.) Goodell and the NFL don't care about Buffalo as much as people think they do. A lot of teams have moved over the years in all the four sports, including our own Buffalo Braves.

If they are going to change it just be original and sell name - team, stadium, parking lot, field house, internal roads, etc.

Will blow out any other team stadium deal and is very NFL classic since many teams started with corporate names.