I want to get into the mind of a Bills fan

I see it here so often...dozens of threads a year, maybe more....ESPN snubbed us...love us...talk about us...please Colin Cownerd, please VALIDATE my team...as of they are the authority...please tell me how good the Bills are...how dangerous they can be etc...I NEED this to show that my team matters..

Please...I really want to get into the psyche of the Bills fan here who watches ESPN all the time, craving for that validation from Mike and Mike, or Colin Cowherd, or whomever...why does this matter so much? Why is it important for sports people in the middle of nowhere in Connecticut to tell us how good we are, or give us attention?

You want attention? Win games. You want Mort at your camp? Win games. You want ESPN to talk to you BESIDES T.O? Win games. They have NOT done that in 9 years. Without T.O, we are as compelling nationally as the Milwaukee Bucks in the NBA...sorry to say.

Explain.

P.S. And I know most of you will come here and say, eh I never watch ESPN, but yet you know EXACTLY what they talk about...let's just come clean here: We all watch ESPN, for better or for worse.

I see it here so often...dozens of threads a year, maybe more....ESPN snubbed us...love us...talk about us...please Colin Cownerd, please VALIDATE my team...as of they are the authority...please tell me how good the Bills are...how dangerous they can be etc...I NEED this to show that my team matters..

Please...I really want to get into the psyche of the Bills fan here who watches ESPN all the time, craving for that validation from Mike and Mike, or Colin Cowherd, or whomever...why does this matter so much? Why is it important for sports people in the middle of nowhere in Connecticut to tell us how good we are, or give us attention?

You want attention? Win games. You want Mort at your camp? Win games. You want ESPN to talk to you BESIDES T.O? Win games. They have NOT done that in 9 years. Without T.O, we are as compelling nationally as the Milwaukee Bucks in the NBA...sorry to say.

Explain.

P.S. And I know most of you will come here and say, eh I never watch ESPN, but yet you know EXACTLY what they talk about...let's just come clean here: We all watch ESPN, for better or for worse.

not to bash your thread but you should be a little more careful with your words here, they do win games. As for my opinion when you hear people talk about your team you want it to be in a good light because then there will be more coverage of your team, better announcers, more primetime games, more merchandise revenue, more spending ability, etc. All it takes are a couple good words to make your franchise more marketable and therefore better.

I watch espn pretty much anytime NFL news is on, just becasue I am interesteed in the NFL. If that news is Bills related I am obviously more interested. I couldnt care less about what those dopes thought about our team, but I will try and catch any moment of reporting they do do on the Bills...Hell I come on here 2-3 times a day...

I'm not waiting for ESPN to do anything except maybe go away. The only time I am even privy to the crap spewed on that rag of a channel is when you dingleberries post it here. Otherwise, that entire family of Disney programming has been taken off my favorites List and I don't even see them in my Guide.

I'm more partial to the NFL network, but even then I hardly have time to catch any news. All the stuff I get is straight from this website, so as far as I'm concerned, it's been spun to me that we're superbowl contenders. I have no clue how ESPN has commented on our team, but I imagine it's revolved around the PTI guys talking about T.O., a pathetic Trey Wingo talking about the AFC East and forgetting to mention the Bills on NFL Live, or some tiny little T.O. line on Sportscenter.

It's all the same re-hashed stories, so as far as I'm concerned, the Bills fan (and it seems like an overwhelming majority here...let's face it, you treat Tim Graham like a god...not saying he doesn't have fantastic inside knowledge, but jesus christ, he says one good thing about us in his blog and someone is sure to start a thread titled, "good read"") that is obsessed with national exposure probably doesn't realize that it's not the same in other cities with sports teams. I'm not saying that's 100% true, or even bad, but it comes with the territory. I've come to embrace that our fans are wildly obsessed with getting the name of Buffalo out there.

It's all about our psyche really. We're a city that was once world class. And that happened before all of our time (well, except for maybe Dean) so we long to get the world to think about us again. There really aren't too many redeemable factors that go with our city, except that the people are awesome and obsessed with it. So, no I don't give a damn when we're mentioned on sportscenter, but I sure as hell don't mind when our rampant fans fall in love with Chris Berman, or make reminders on their palm pilots that Trent Edwards is going to be interviewed on PTI.

I don't watch ESPN, but I don't find it hard at all to understand why fans of a particular team would want to see that team receive national exposure, or why they would be defensive when they feel that their team has been unduly criticized. That is what being a fan means.

What I do not understand is what drives a person to call himself a fan of a team and then go onto a fan message board with a constant stream of abuse and criticism for the team, the front office, and his fellow fans. That is what I think it weird. But that's just me....

Explain.

thanks for insulting everyone here by the way, feel free to leave at any time. i really could care less about ESPN but i do understand the whole concept of recieving some respect as an actual national football league team every once in a while. I guess a fan turning on the t.v. and catching the last part of what a respected(in some cases undeserving) analyst has to say about there favorite team just pisses you off huh. i have heard a lot of those threads too and i really don't let them get me so angry i need to waste everyone elses time on another pointless thread. the whole point you are trying to make about pointless threads was voided the minute you made this one.

is it bad to want some attention? even in the early 90's we never had great media coverage, in 04 we had the best defense in the league and still nothing. it took a TE on special teams to break his freaking neck before we ever got into the media for anything more than 2 min, and even then it was all about the doctors. now we have an eventual hall of fame reciever on our team and people realize that we may actually get some recognition, and when we don't or its recognition in a negative light, fans get upset...WOW...NEVER THOUGHT THAT WOULD HAPPEN! :thumbdown:

Guest dog14787
thanks for insulting everyone here by the way, feel free to leave at any time. i really could care less about ESPN but i do understand the whole concept of recieving some respect as an actual national football league team every once in a while. I guess a fan turning on the t.v. and catching the last part of what a respected(in some cases undeserving) analyst has to say about there favorite team just pisses you off huh. i have heard a lot of those threads too and i really don't let them get me so angry i need to waste everyone elses time on another pointless thread. the whole point you are trying to make about pointless threads was voided the minute you made this one.

is it bad to want some attention? even in the early 90's we never had great media coverage, in 04 we had the best defense in the league and still nothing. it took a TE on special teams to break his freaking neck before we ever got into the media for anything more than 2 min, and even then it was all about the doctors. now we have an eventual hall of fame reciever on our team and people realize that we may actually get some recognition, and when we don't or its recognition in a negative light, fans get upset...WOW...NEVER THOUGHT THAT WOULD HAPPEN! :thumbdown:

I'm not insulted by the thread, but one poster 100 some odd posts in suggesting to another poster with a couple thousands posts to leave because he or she is expressing their opinion or wanting to hear other folks opinions seems a bit insulting don't you think.

ESPN deals in facts plain and simple. Different opinions based on those facts may vary just like the opinions on this board vary, but folks watch ESPN because they know what they see and what they hear is for the most part unbiased and as accurate as it gets.

Explain.

the bucks got to be really compelling once they traded for bob lanier.

Circle,

Here's your answer---people believe in magic, so that's why this matters to them.

All it takes are a couple good words to make your franchise more marketable and therefore better.

is it bad to want some attention? even in the early 90's we never had great media coverage

Other than all the coverage accompanying 4 consecutive AFCEC's and 4 SBs---you're right: the early nineties came and went with hardly a word about the Buffalo Bills.

Please...I really want to get into the psyche of the Bills fan here who watches ESPN all the time, craving for that validation from Mike and Mike, or Colin Cowherd, or whomever

That's a mind/psyche I want to stay as far away from as possible.

Is it possible to get lost in the open spaces of an empty mind?