New LA Team: Expansion only...

Spun

If you're worried it might be Buffalo, rest easy. The candidates for moving are Indy, New Orleans, Arizona, San Diego and Minnesota. Plus Al Davis is all set to sue anyone who returns to the LA area, since he still owns the territorial rights. He never wished to return to Oakland.

We're fine for now.

Cleveland, Houston and Baltimore had to pay enormous sums to replace teams that should not have moved in the first place.

I believe franchise shifts are bad for sports unless there is a situation that can not be repaired. Blackmailing cities (and states) into paying for new stadiums while said cities need to pay their teachers and firefighters should not be an acceptable rationale for moving.

L.A. (or any other city) would rather swipe another team than pay for a new stadium and exorbitant expansion fees.

The NFL has become encircled by rich vultures. If you doubt this, attend a Super Bowl weekend.

I suspect New York State would put up a fight if there was an attempt to "steal" the Bills.

They're cosidering Orange County (Anaheim) as a location for the stadium. If they put a team in OC and call it the LA anything, a shitstorm will hit SoCal.

7953[/snapback]

Notice how LA is about the only city looking seriously into aquiring an NFL franchise these days. 10 years ago, seems half a dozen cities were talking about it. Then the stock market Rosen hit and the NFL franchise fee soared. That elimated a lot of dreamers.

I have a friend who keeps insisting the Bills will be gone in a couple years. I always ask him " where are they moving to ? " and he always wants the conversation to end without answering. Just a cynical thinker. There are no more Baltimore's out there, ready to sell the city dry for 20 years. Taxpayers won't allow it anymore.

Notice how LA is about the only city looking seriously into aquiring an NFL franchise these days. 10 years ago, seems half a dozen cities were talking about it. Then the stock market Rosen hit and the NFL franchise fee soared. That elimated a lot of dreamers.

I have a friend who keeps insisting the Bills will be gone in a couple years. I always ask him " where are they moving to ?  " and he always wants the conversation to end without answering. Just a cynical thinker.  There are no more Baltimore's out there, ready to sell the city dry for 20 years. Taxpayers won't allow it anymore.

8008[/snapback]

I hope you are right. Some point to Toronto with that population of 4 million as being a good market to exploit with or without the Bills and Bills fans.

The Hamilton County (Cincinnati) suit against the Bengals and the NFL is still alive...

8066[/snapback]

Give Cinci a good team and the fans fill the place. Ohio was screwed once with the Browns leaving. If you have a strong franchise in a football loving city then let it go through it's peaks and valleys. Ohio is intense about it's football, from high school, college and to the pros.

What is the lawsuit about?

If you're worried it might be Buffalo, rest easy. The candidates for moving are Indy, New Orleans, Arizona, San Diego and Minnesota. Plus Al Davis is all set to sue anyone who returns to the LA area, since he still owns the territorial rights. He never wished to return to Oakland.

We're fine for now.

7943[/snapback]

San Diego has a deal in place for the next 5 years or so.

Give Cinci a good team and the fans fill the place.  Ohio was screwed once with the Browns leaving.  If you have a strong franchise in a football loving city then let it go through it's peaks and valleys.  Ohio is intense about it's football, from high school, college and to the pros.

What is the lawsuit about?

8079[/snapback]

Collusion by owners and the NFL to extort communities to build public works for private entities. It was granted a Federal venue, largely because the owners and the NFL have, as they always have, refused to open their books and financial status to public scrutinty.

Certainly, the voters of Hamilton County were dumb as a box of rocks for voting for the stadium in the first place. No doubt, #1 place-of-blame.

The NFL will fight this tooth and nail. I personally agree that private enterprise has no obligation to divulge to anyone but owners and stockholders and the S.E.C. and the States as required by laws governing incorporation, but when public (taxpayer) $$$ is in the mix, things seem different.

Cleveland, Houston and Baltimore had to pay enormous sums to replace teams that should not have moved in the first place.

I believe franchise shifts are bad for sports unless there is a situation that can not be repaired.  Blackmailing cities (and states) into paying for new stadiums while said cities need to pay their teachers and firefighters should not be an acceptable rationale for moving.

L.A. (or any other city) would rather swipe another team than pay for a new stadium and exorbitant expansion fees.

The NFL has become encircled by rich vultures.  If you doubt this, attend a Super Bowl weekend.

I suspect New York State would put up a fight if there was an attempt to "steal" the Bills.

7997[/snapback]

There are some cities that would love a team. Portland, San Antonio (has a dome already), Orlando (Citrus Bowl), Toronto (SkyDone) and Austin, TX to name the obvious ones. This is still a very crucial and dangerous time for the franchise.

Go Bills

There are some cities that would love a team. Portland, San Antonio (has a dome already), Orlando (Citrus Bowl), Toronto (SkyDone) and Austin, TX to name the obvious ones.  This is still a very crucial and dangerous time for the franchise.

Go Bills

8142[/snapback]

I would sugest that if Indy does not get a bigger stadium they are off to LA. Presently they play in the 55,000 seat RCA dome and that just won't do it. Further this just based on the cities listed above show how very few cities are left for an NFL franchise. This is not the NBA or NHL. Also I'm thinking there is some rule, written or unwritten, US, Canadian, NFL, CFL that will not permit an NFL team in Canada, I may be wrong, or this rule may no longer exsist.

8008[/snapback]

The stock market Rosen. I love it. How awesome is that?

I've said it before: Build the Chargers a new stadium somewhere between San Diego and L.A, the call 'em the So.Cal Chargers. (ala New England Patriots) L.A. gets its team...San Diego doesn't really lose a team...No expansion, no city losing a team...nice and neat in my opinion.

PTR

I would sugest that if Indy does not get a bigger stadium they are off to LA. Presently they play in the 55,000 seat RCA dome and that just won't do it.  Further this just based on the cities listed above show how very few cities are left for an NFL franchise.  This is not the NBA or NHL.  Also I'm thinking there is some rule, written or unwritten, US, Canadian, NFL, CFL that will not permit an NFL team in  Canada, I may be wrong, or this rule may no longer exsist.

8199[/snapback]

I think you are right. The NFL won't take on the CFL. After L.A. gets filled, there really are a few options beyond the ones I stated. The danger is that the lease situation will make it easier to leave because it is on a sliding scale and gets progressively cheaper. We can breathe easier when the L.A. area is not an option. The other cities are open for a team, but they don't have groups actively looking as far as I know.

Go Bills

The other cities are open for a team, but they don't have groups actively looking as far as I know.

Go Bills

8292[/snapback]

Nor do they have 600-700 Million ( the going franchise rate ) plus a brand new NFL approved stadium ready. That's light years away for anyone.