Can the Bills topple the Patriots?

Chris Brown, Lead Journalist

Posted Jul 18, 2009

The New England Patriots did not win the AFC East last year, losing on tiebreaker to Miami as both teams finished 11-5. However, there’s little argument that the Patriots are still the team to beat in the division, especially with Tom Brady set to return at quarterback. New England has also proven to be the toughest team for Buffalo to beat as they have not posted a victory against them since the 2003 opener.

Both teams made key additions to their rosters in the offseason. But regaining Brady as their quarterback is a tough one to top, even with the signing of Terrell Owens.

Are the Bills now in a better position to post a win over their divisional nemesis?

Based on their free agent acquisitions, draft class and players returning from injury it appears as though they are. But there will have to be some surefire elements to Buffalo’s performance if they’re to pull off a win, particularly one at Gillette Stadium in Week 1.

(more at link)

Edited by Lori
copyrighted material

Chris Brown, Lead Journalist

Posted Jul 18, 2009

The New England Patriots did not win the AFC East last year, losing on tiebreaker to Miami as both teams finished 11-5. However, there’s little argument that the Patriots are still the team to beat in the division, especially with Tom Brady set to return at quarterback. New England has also proven to be the toughest team for Buffalo to beat as they have not posted a victory against them since the 2003 opener.

Both teams made key additions to their rosters in the offseason. But regaining Brady as their quarterback is a tough one to top, even with the signing of Terrell Owens.

Are the Bills now in a better position to post a win over their divisional nemesis?

Based on their free agent acquisitions, draft class and players returning from injury it appears as though they are. But there will have to be some surefire elements to Buffalo’s performance if they’re to pull off a win, particularly one at Gillette Stadium in Week 1.

Sure, when we get players better than Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Les Welker, Vince Wolfork, and Jerrod Mayo to name a few. That, and when we get a better coach than Bellichek and better owner than Robert Kraft. :wallbash:

Edited by Lori
copyrighted material

Sure, when we get players better than Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Les Welker, Vince Wolfork, and Jerrod Mayo to name a few. That, and when we get a better coach than Bellichek and better owner than Robert Kraft. :blink:

The Pats have an owner who is more competent and less senile than our owner. The Pats have a better front office, which includes scouting for college prospects and pro prospects. The Pats have a better HC and coaching staff. The Pats have a HOF qb. The Pats have a better receiving corps. The Pats have a better OL. The Pats have a better DL. The Pats have a better LB corps. The Pats have a better DB corps. We may be a tad better than them on special teams, although their field goal kicker may be more consistent.

The Pats rank numero uno for wins over the past decade. The Bills rank 29 out of 32 for wins during the same period. Bill Billicheck is the most influential person on the football side of the organization. Our goofball owner placed a marketing expert, Russ Brandon, as the head the organization because he trusted him and felt comfortable with him.

Pittsburgh Pirates are to major league baseball as the Bills are to the NFL. Both are irrelevant teams in their respective sports. :wallbash::devil::blink:

The Pats have an owner who is more competent and less senile than our owner. The Pats have a better front office, which includes scouting for college prospects and pro prospects. The Pats have a better HC and coaching staff. The Pats have a HOF qb. The Pats have a better receiving corps. The Pats have a better OL. The Pats have a better DL. The Pats have a better LB corps. The Pats have a better DB corps. We may be a tad better than them on special teams, although their field goal kicker may be more consistent.

The Pats rank numero uno for wins over the past decade. The Bills rank 29 out of 32 for wins during the same period. Bill Billicheck is the most influential person on the football side of the organization. Our goofball owner placed a marketing expert, Russ Brandon, as the head the organization because he trusted him and felt comfortable with him.

Pittsburgh Pirates are to major league baseball as the Bills are to the NFL. Both are irrelevant teams in their respective sports. :wallbash::devil::blink:

A decade, a decade. That's almost 10 years. And the last I heard season tickets are just flying off the shelves.

29 out of 32 over the 10 year span, that's incredible, and also why Ralph can have a marketing guy to head the team,

because it just doesn't matter as long as seats are sold. That's it.

:blink:

Pats have better DB's than us? i think we have one of the best DB groups in the league easily. our WR's match up very good with them, and IMO are better. Brady, as much as i hate him, has always been a great QB. This year i think he will go downhill big time. everyone thinks because he is back its over.....no point showing up and playing because superhero tommy has come to save the day. spare me that puppy-love bull sh--. the man is going to get a wake up call early. his injured knee, him spending too much time frolicking around with his girl and multiple babies and his age are gonna catch up to him. i wish our terrified looking leader boner jauron would order Fewell to attack attack attack! i can see myself with tears of frustration in my eyes lookin at jauron on tv as he casualy glances up at the scoreboard. the man doesnt deserve to be the coach of the bills. i want somebody coaching who cares more about the team and winning then he does about his own wife and kids. sorry im frustrated and rammbling :wallbash:

Why does Chris Brown call himself "lead" and "journalist"? Is he either?

Chris Brown is paid by the Bills. Any hint of criticism of the organization by him will result in an immediate termination. To put it in street terms: He is an Organizational LICK! :thumbsup::thumbsup::angry:

It is to be expected that an employee of the organization, such as Chris Brown, hue to the company line. What is pathetic is the prostituting of the timid local media in covering the generational losing Bills. Ed Kilgore must be on the team's payroll. It is embarrassing! Can you imagine the media in Philly or NY tolerating such long term mediocrity from such a dysfunctional organization? Do you think the Philly or NY media would tolerate such a buffoon owner without an abundace of richly deserved scathing critiicism? :w00t::lol::wallbash:

Pittsburgh Pirates are to major league baseball as the Bills are to the NFL. Both are irrelevant teams in their respective sports. :thumbsup::thumbsup::angry:

No one can deny Buffalo is worse in more areas than NE. The Pats are a veteran laden team that seems to transition to younger players without much loss in quality of play. Ultimately, the salary cap means talent is spread evenly over the league. NE has plenty of talent, but their greatest advantage is in coaching and the front office. This single fact means they get the players they need to fit the system that has worked for nearly a decade.

I believe the best way for a rebuilding team to win is to fortify their OL and DL while featuring an efficient QB. The Bills chose to take guys at the skill positions until this year. And now they're banking on Maybin, Wood, and Levitre to, at the very least, contribute from Day 1. Don't get me wrong, I like all of those guys but they're rookies when all is said and done. It's a pipe dream that no less than 3 rookies will mean the difference in protecting a QB and getting to the opponents signal caller.

If the do beat the Pats this year it has to be the first game

Brady might be rusty.

Fred Jackson had some success running against them in the last game last year.

First game with TO and Evans together so Cheatercheck has no film to steal yet.

But they MUST Pressure Brady and test where his knee is at.

If they sit in that Tampa 2 Brady will nickle and dime them to death.

On paper they're still better than we are at this point, but I do think that the gap is closing. Remember, even when Brady was last 100% (Dec and Jan, 2007-8) teams were playing them very close, even when losing to them--it was almost like the League had caught up to them. I'm not just talking the playoffs or that last Giants game in December, but also Philly and Baltimore playing them close in December, IIRC. In fact, Philly and the Ravens should have beaten them.

I'd say they're a tad overrated, but we'll wait and see how they look--Brady's return could go either way. He could be gun shy or he could light us up for 50 points in his coming out party. I agree with the poster above that I'd send the house at him the first few series to check--kind of a "draw the flag if you have to (and we all know it will), but let him know he's playing live football again". Nothing dirty, mind you, but get in his face and hit him if it's close. Who knows, the poster above may be right--maybe we get the TB from that Giants SB and not the record setter who let his mouth overload his butt come crunch time that year (and I still can't believe the media hasn't called him more on that. After all, they were all Plax when he opened his mouth).

On the other side, I do think that we're a better team than last year, but am concerned that it will take us a while to gel--the O-line especially. Not having Marshawn won't help either--I knew as soon as he got suspended we'd open with New England and what do you know, the Pats* friends in the NFL FO obliged them yet again (no big shock at this point). Kind of like them getting to play the Fins after a bye this season......

No one can deny Buffalo is worse in more areas than NE. The Pats are a veteran laden team that seems to transition to younger players without much loss in quality of play. Ultimately, the salary cap means talent is spread evenly over the league. NE has plenty of talent, but their greatest advantage is in coaching and the front office. This single fact means they get the players they need to fit the system that has worked for nearly a decade.

I believe the best way for a rebuilding team to win is to fortify their OL and DL while featuring an efficient QB. The Bills chose to take guys at the skill positions until this year. And now they're banking on Maybin, Wood, and Levitre to, at the very least, contribute from Day 1. Don't get me wrong, I like all of those guys but they're rookies when all is said and done. It's a pipe dream that no less than 3 rookies will mean the difference in protecting a QB and getting to the opponents signal caller.

BillsVet, You are right on the money that the biggest asset the Pats have is that they have arguably the best front office in the game, which includes their HC. The biggest weakness the Bills' organization has is its lackluster front office and average coaching staff. It is telling that the Bills had their greatest success under Bill Polian, who was eventually let go by the owner. Over the past decade the Colts, under his leadership as the GM, has made the playoffs nine years out of ten, with a SB trophy included. The Bills have not made the playoffs nine years out of the past ten. What does that tell you?

I also agree with you that the Bills had a very solid draft this year. Finally addressing the OL with early picks was the right approach to take. It might not necessarily result in a quick fix, but it was the right thing to do. At least as I see it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sure, when we get players better than Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Les Welker, Vince Wolfork, and Jerrod Mayo to name a few. That, and when we get a better coach than Bellichek and better owner than Robert Kraft. :thumbsup:

You are 100% wrong about one thing; every Bills' receiver is better then Les Welker, because he is not even listed on the Pats roster. :thumbsup:

Pittsburgh Pirates are to major league baseball as the Bills are to the NFL. Both are irrelevant teams in their respective sports. :thumbsup::thumbsup::angry:

Yeah, but other then those things, the Bills are right there with those Pats! :w00t:

In reality, the Bills organization is not that bad, and the Pats are not that good. At least not heading into this season. I cannot argue your facts about the past decade of course. But Brady eventually going into the HOF does not change the fact that the first game of the season against the Bills will be his first game back from missing the entire season last year, and even he should be rusty. The Pats did not even make the playoffs last season, so they are not as cocky and invincible heading into ,09 as they are in most season openers. And I like the added toughness along the Bills O-line - that will be something the Pats have not seen since that '03 opener, that's for sure.

So the Pats will most likely win the game, but it should be a good game, and the Bills should be in it most of the way.

Of course the Bills can topple the Cheatriettes* - and will!

On September 14, in front of a MNF national TV audience, our Bills will absolutely humiliate the New England Pretenders*, turning all or their* bandwagon-jumping, ersatz fans back into NJ Giants lovers...

Our BuffTown Bills 34

Provincetown Patriettes* 0

19 and 0 baby!!! :thumbsup:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :thumbsup:

If the do beat the Pats this year it has to be the first game

Brady might be rusty.

Fred Jackson had some success running against them in the last game last year.

First game with TO and Evans together so Cheatercheck has no film to steal yet.

But they MUST Pressure Brady and test where his knee is at.

If they sit in that Tampa 2 Brady will nickle and dime them to death.

The way to beat Brady has always been to pressure him. I wish we would throw a lot more blitzes at the Pats* or for that matter every team we play.

Unfortunately with Brady we have not been able to do that since the 2003 opener!

Guest dog14787
The way to beat Brady has always been to pressure him. I wish we would throw a lot more blitzes at the Pats* or for that matter every team we play.

Unfortunately with Brady we have not been able to do that since the 2003 opener!

I'll borrow a great phrase from BillnutinHouston,

Pardon the pun, but literally, the only thing standing between mediocrity and success for the Bills defense, is Schobel's foot.

A decade, a decade. That's almost 10 years. And the last I heard season tickets are just flying off the shelves.

29 out of 32 over the 10 year span, that's incredible, and also why Ralph can have a marketing guy to head the team,

because it just doesn't matter as long as seats are sold. That's it.

:thumbsup:

Sadly, there is more truth in that statement then most will admit...

The Bills are outmatched by the Patriots in every area, coaching, talent, front office. It will take a miracle and lots of luck to pull out a win at NE. The Bills will not win at home because Belichick will have the Bills scouted by then and know each offensive call and exactly where the ball will be going.

Until Ralph Wilson decides that he wants to win the super bowl and opens up his wallet and hire's a name coach / GM / president that can actually challenge Belichick , and Bill Parcells in Miami.Until that time the Bills will continue to be wannabe's who sell out every year because of superior marketing, and yet fail to have a winning season.

I'm not an eternal optimist, rather a realist and I will not purchase season tickets just to socialize and be with family and friends at games. I'm not going to financially support a team and owner who refuses to spend to get the best. He had one of the best and fired him for one reason or another, Bill Polian. It all starts and ends with the owner,clearly it is more important to him to sell season tickets then it is to win.

The Dolphins owner got sick of losing and hired Bill Parcels, 1-15 next year 11-5

Falcons owner got sick of losing and hired Thomas Dimitroff from the Patriots to be the new GM, went from last to first in one year.

Ravens owner got sick of non playoff wins and fired the SB coach and hired an unknown in John Harbaugh, who was smart enough to hire Cam Cameron as the OC, who drafted a rookie QB and made the playoffs.

It can be done if the owner is smart enough to hire the right people, clearly that hasn't happened since Bill Polian.