Why Trent Edwards will lead and Terrell Owens will follow

Guest dog14787

I think I could spend days researching and posting different quotes and different opinions and it wouldn't change your opinion, but I appreciate the fact that you did some research. Maybe if you would apply it in a manner that makes for an argument that TE is not a good leader I would debate it with you. Throwing different quotes at me doesn't prove anything.

The three basic things you must do to be successful as a leader I stand behind and have already posted at the very beginning of my thread.

Which are leadership character traits Trent Edwards already has on display.

clearly i failed to state my point earlier when i said that there's a lot more to a leader than what he says...it's far more about what how he performs first, and what comes out of his mouth is a distant second. and since trent hasn't exactly accomplished much on the field (whether that's on him or the team is irrelevant to that fact), it's hard for me to believe that he's a great leader. that's my point, one that i backed up with the opinions of highly-respected individuals in the field of professional leadership and development. practically every single one of them speaks to "doing", not "saying" as the important part.

that's all i'm trying to say...debate away.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
clearly i failed to state my point earlier when i said that there's a lot more to a leader than what he says...it's far more about what how he performs first, and what comes out of his mouth is a distant second. and since trent hasn't exactly accomplished much on the field (whether that's on him or the team is irrelevant to that fact), it's hard for me to believe that he's a great leader. that's my point, one that i backed up with the opinions of highly-respected individuals in the field of professional leadership and development. practically every single one of them speaks to "doing", not "saying" as the important part.

that's all i'm trying to say...debate away.

Leading by example has to be up near the top of the list of credentials for a good leader so for that I have no argument except to say Trent Edwards in my opinion does lead by example.

I would also have to agree TE hasn't accomplished anything yet and your point is well taken.

Guest dog14787
Here is my question to all of you. If Trent has another average year or worse, a sup par year, do we blame him or the fact that he has no solid LT

My biggest concern is Turk Shonert at the OC position, but I've been persuaded to entertain the thought that the Buffalo Bills as much as we love our players, overall the team was lacking sufficient talent to execute in the passing game properly.

I'm excited about our new, revamped O-line, but I'm also concerned especially at the LT position.

Guest dog14787
Here's a question, dog: by "do a little research", do you mean "read my posts and agree with them"?

I'm curious, dog, how much "research" have you done on the subject? I know what I've done, so how's about we start with the basics?

Here are some basic leadership quotes from John Maxwell, widely considered the world's pre-eminent leadership author (these all come from his litany of leadership books):

A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and then shows the way.

People buy into the leader before they buy into the vision.

If we're growing, we're always going to be out of our comfort zone.

Leaders must be close enough to relate to others, but far enough ahead to motivate them.

Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.

Although I'm sure you were familiar with them already (since you seemed to imply that you've done extensive research on the subject), these items speak far more to personal performance than they do inspiring others. But hey, maybe Maxwell is way off on this stuff, let's check out some other well-credentialed leaders and see what they think:

”Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.”

- Conrad Hilton, Hilton Hotels

”The right man is the one who seizes the moment.”

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

”A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be.”

- Rosalynn Carter

”There comes a moment when you have to stop revving up the car and shove it into gear.”

- David Mahoney

”I would rather regret the things I have done than the things I have not.”

- Lucille Ball

”Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked; leadership is defined by results not attributes.”

- Peter Drucker

”The task of the leader is to get his people from where they are to where they have not been.”

- Henry Kissinger

”Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have.”

- Zig Ziglar

Now maybe your research yields different results, but mine seems to indicate that leadership starts with performance (especially that Drucker quote--that's a really good one).

I eagerly await your response, which I sincerely hope is laden with your research on the subject.

I'll throw a Quote back at you, ( to add to some of the good Quotes you already have)

This is from the late Jules Masserman who was a United States psychoanalyst and professor of the Chicago University- Leaders must fulfill three functions —provide for the well-being of the led, provide a social organization in which people feel relatively secure, and provide them with one set of beliefs.

(I realize he's not referring to QB's in the NFL)

Leading by example has to be up near the top of the list of what makes a good leader and for that I have no argument except to say Trent does lead by example.

Being as Trent Edwards hasn't accomplished anything yet, your point is well taken.

How about leading us to the playoffs. Last year we had one of the weakest schedules in the NFL. We didn't make the playoffs. Good leader would've got us there. Guest what, we have the 6 toughest schedule this year. Lead us Edwards.

Guest dog14787
So true. He looked like a deer caught in headlights.

Trent Edwards never looked that bad to me, but you could tell he wasn't seeing the field as well after the concussion and had lost some of his confidence. I also believe Turk Shonert deliberately toned down the play calling and for that I commend Shonert.

We can keep Trent Edawrds healthy this year or we can face another 7-9 season.

• 2 weeks later...

Wood is actually most likely going to be our LG. Levitre, McKinney, and others will be battling it out for RG. Butler will be shifting to RT, while Walker shifts to LT, and like you said Hangartner will be manning the C position.

As far as Edwards is concerned, he's one more year into the system, and is going to be allowed to really open things up. Now he's got the weapons to succeed and can build upon the foundation he's established. He wasn't outstanding, but he was efficient last season (6th in Comp %). TO does wonders for this offense. Lee has put up solid numbers since coming into the league, yet he hasn't had much on the other side of the field to compliment him. Now we have a proven guy opposite him who not only will take the pressure off of him, but will be a serious threat himself. We're throwing Reed back where he's best suited. I love him, but he's not a #2. He'll be an important peice to this offense however as he's one of Trent's go to guys, especially on 3rd down. I'm excited about the prospects of this season, and I believe whole heartedly that Trent will grow tremendously this season.