Macs are a gigantic ripoff...

Fingon

And you want to go tit-for-tat on OS stability comparing Mac to Windows? Really?

Not really. I am just pointing out that saying "it just works" is a stupid reason to state that a Mac is better than a PC.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My XP Laptop is FAR more stable than my last Mac Book. It isn't even close.

Unstable? I suppose there are exceptions to the rule, but what the heck did you do to that poor Mac Book? I've had four Macs with OS X for personal and freelance use (with both PPC and Intel chips) and they have been by far the most stable and enjoyable machines I've ever used...and I use a PC every single day for my "real job."

Unstable? I suppose there are exceptions to the rule, but what the heck did you do to that poor Mac Book? I've had four Macs with OS X for personal and freelance use (with both PPC and Intel chips) and they have been by far the most stable and enjoyable machines I've ever used...and I use a PC every single day for my "real job."

Same.

but what the heck did you do to that poor Mac Book?

I can say the same thing about people with PCs... I've never had a major problem that wasn't related to a hardware failure (like a dead harddrive).

I can say the same thing about people with PCs... I've never had a major problem that wasn't related to a hardware failure (like a dead harddrive).

Yeah, but you're taking it too far. I'm not just talking about major problems. I'd consider anytime that my computer froze so that I had to restart, gave me the blue screen of death, had applications frequently crash (including MS apps), losing my wireless connection, having to kill individual tasks in order to continue to work at a sane pace, being able to close the lid on my laptop without needing to restart, having to restart almost every single time I install a new app...all the little stuff that goes into getting things done on a day to basis. To me that's a big part of the difference.

I worked in TV, so I used it to play a lot of media. It would regularly crash during any sort of media play. I got the spinning beach ball of annoyance several times a day (15 minutes or more of that thing spinning).

I had to also keep a PC to run the proprietary research programs I needed. At the end, I could have switched to an Intel-based Mac and run everything on it. But the very cheap PC I had NEVER gave me any problems, whatsoever. So I just used it, for the most part.

I understand I was in the minority, but there ARE bad Macs out there. In fact, a few years earlier (well, more than a few) I had to use an IMac at one office. Total piece of crap. Just bad luck, I guess.

I'm STILL angry over Windows ME ... I'm still so :P mad I want to give Bill Gates a wedgie until he bleeds. :worthy: That was the WORST! :w00t:

:doh:

And people thought Vista was bad. ME was extraordinary in its crappiness.

Yeah, but you're taking it too far. I'm not just talking about major problems. I'd consider anytime that my computer froze so that I had to restart, gave me the blue screen of death, had applications frequently crash (including MS apps), losing my wireless connection, having to kill individual tasks in order to continue to work at a sane pace, being able to close the lid on my laptop without needing to restart, having to restart almost every single time I install a new app...all the little stuff that goes into getting things done on a day to basis. To me that's a big part of the difference.

I haven't had most of those issues... And the ones I have experienced are so infrequently that I don't really consider it a problem that I'm willing to pay $500+ to fix... :w00t:

OK- I am trying to import photos from my camera to Iphoto. 99% of the photos go, but some of my best cannot be imported for whatever reason. It is a Canon 50D camera and a Mac, and the photos are shot in RAW. How do I import these?