Macs are a gigantic ripoff...

Fingon

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'm an idiot. A ridiculously happy idiot who will pay higher prices to avoid building my own computer.

Yeah man. It makes total sense to spend $3000+ more just because you don't want to spend a couple hours screwing in a few parts.

PC is definitely better for gaming, no question. There's pros and cons to each. But once again, as people have reiterated, any sort of multimedia production, duplication, editing, etc is simply far and away better on Mac OS X.

Just for the record, cnet.com's review of the older, all aluminum Macbook Pros from last year actually has the graphical data to support how OS X runs more efficiently than Vista on similar hardware. http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/apple-macb...l?tag=mncol;lst go there and scroll down to the graphs about mid-page, there's 3 graphs on processing speeds. The Photoshop CS3 is the most obvious, with the Macbook nearly half the image processing time as a Dell equivalent.

This is actual empirical evidence by a reputable company, not some arbitrary blogger that has an agenda.

That article has a $1900 PC going up against a $2500 Mac. I'd like to see a $2500 PC going up against a $2500 mac. The $2500 PC would absolutely smoke the Mac. Hell, the $2500 PC would really only cost $1900, since there is always a 25-30% discount available for purchasing online. So that Mac should be going up against a $3000+ PC.

While the Mac beats vista in speed with the same hardware (so does XP, but Windows 7 is faster than both), you must take into account the pricing of the item. A similarly priced PC comes with far superior hardware, and is far faster.

2 cents.

Whatever one thinks of Macs, I'm happy that they are out there as an alternative to Windows machines.

Competition is always the best. I'm happy there are mac fanboys out there. Now, hopefully Google can give Microsoft some competition. Not anti Microsoft by any stretch. Just like someone to push them a bit

• 3 weeks later...

Nice! That's a good poke to the eye of Apple. My beef with Apple has never been the OS. (How can anyone argue with BSD? :o ) My beef with Apple is their over-priced and under-powered hardware.

Good point, however XP is much more stable than all previous MicroCrap OSs.

My XP Laptop is FAR more stable than my last Mac Book. It isn't even close.

Macs tend to be a little more stable than Windows, but the differences seem to be slim these days, Windows' reputation for crashing is mostly based on the older OS, IMO.

Competition is always the best. I'm happy there are mac fanboys out there. Now, hopefully Google can give Microsoft some competition.

Yep. Years ago, I used OS/2 2.0 then Warp. It was a remarkable OS.

Avoiding XP, I purchased a Linux flavor called Xandros. Very nice - but I wasn't willing to go through the learning curve. So I now use XP and watch it like a hawk.

Mark-ups...are, well, markups. Part of any businesses' picture. The mark-up on a "bottomless" cup of coffee is tremendous. That doesn't mean that the seller, be it chain or Mom 'n Pop, is rolling in fat profits. Payroll, overhead, taxes and so on.

That little eatery around the corner is probably forking over for a half-dozen business permits, and unknown numbers of tax assessments by towns, counties, and States.

My XP Laptop is FAR more stable than my last Mac Book. It isn't even close.

Macs tend to be a little more stable than Windows, but the differences seem to be slim these days, Windows' reputation for crashing is mostly based on the older OS, IMO.

I'm STILL angry over Windows ME ... I'm still so <_< mad I want to give Bill Gates a wedgie until he bleeds. :lol: That was the WORST! :o